Mount Hyjal and Black Temple Raid Information

Calendar

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mages and priests should probably bring some feathers as well since it'll buy you some padding in case you click too early.

Tip for mages: you can blink as soon as you're afflicted with Air burst, as well as blink through the fire trail that he does. :)

Yep, I initially wrote about the blink trick, but deleted it before posting. Depending on terrain, height, and timing, it can be VERY touchy as to whether or not it actually works. I know that I'm extremely experienced with using blink to avoid falling damage (so much so that I don't even bother carrying feathers), but I mess up my timing from time to time or fall victim to client-synch lag (literally). It's worth a try, but if it disorients you even more or you have no experience with it, don't even think about it until you get more practice. I'd rather not lose people because they're trying something for the first time and don't know the nuances...feather fall is far more familiar to most mages mechanically.

FYI, iceblocking can help avoid some falling damage as well, if used at the right time.

Blinking through the fire...now that's a handy tip that I didn't think of :)

Arch note I'd consider the most impt:

Doomfire will pick a target, follow that person, then randomly switch to another person. It will usually switch to someone close to that person, and if no one is near the last kiter/target, it will switch to some random person who might be on the other side of the field and the fire will loop around everywhere =P

We used the 5 group strat, 4 groups separated, melee group behind arch (take care not to be close to tank or tank might get airbursted when melee get it). If you get doomfire, turn 180 degrees and run in a straight line away from arch. Don't strafe, don't stop running away until that line of fire has stopped moving. Most mistakes happen with seeing the fire next to you following another person, and not moving, or running away, then seeing the fire transfer to another person, you run back to position, in which case the fire will probably transfer to you again and you've now looped it back to the raid.

This fight is about movement, falling damage nublets, decursing, and keeping yourself alive. :p

Mages should never die in this fight, ours were just blinking to the ground >< Undead priests will never get feared in this fight (between wotf, pvp trinket, and fear ward) so they can cover the tank with hots once the fear timer is up, and during fear they have to tank heal.

Levitate and feather fall is nice, but keep in mind, if you are burning to doomfire, or decursing was slow and you still have a curse while airbursted, the damage will break your levitate, and you will die from the fall damage. Just practice with the tears, then augment it with your levitate/feather fall.

Holler if you have any questions, and good luck :)

Edited by Benea

Great tips on the fire, Benea, thanks! I also didn't think about the curse breaking the slow fall/levitate (doh!).

I think we made some progress at getting everyone used to the way the fight works last night on our few attempts. Things I noticed that we need to improve:

• If doomfire is near you, move...and don't run in a circle around the raid, run straight away from Archimonde (saw a few people do this). I was lucky enough to be followed by doomfire while still mounted and getting to my spot on one attempt, which made it easy to stay away from it, but I haven't had a problem keeping ahead of it on foot either.
  • If you're not sure whether or not doomfire is after you, move anyway until you know for sure and bear in mind what Benea said above: it can change targets, so always be aware of what it's doing and be ready to respond.
  • For the Forsaken folks: Will of the Forsaken can also make you immune to fear if you use it *just* before the fear goes off (it's not just a reactive ability :dancing_smile:). It lasts for five seconds, so you have a small amount of padding in case you mis-time it. If you're in doubt as to whether the timer is off or not, just wait to activate it until you're feared.
  • Timing your Tear use is huge and again, if you need more time to practice, LET US KNOW. Saw a few die trying to practice, which I consider a good thing (since at least people were trying). Druids that are falling can reduce some fall damage by going cat, rogues already have reduced fall damage innate to the class, mages/priests have slow fall and levitate, paladins can bubble...but none of these things is a substitute for getting better with your Tear use timing. Learn it, practice it, put a sticky note on your forehead, or smear yourself in jelly if it'll help you...just make sure you can do it when the time comes :D

I've said it already and will keep saying it: this fight is all about everyone staying alive. Trying to maximise your dps or squeeze off that one heal by staying in a few extra seconds before moving for a doomfire will not help. Ultimately, we're all just a portion of the overall raid and our individual contribution on this fight isn't as important as the overall management of the event. In short, you're more valuable alive and out of the action temporarily than you are when you're dead but managed that one cast.

Watch the video to get an idea of how the encounter works and please read up on the abilities that Archimonde has as well. Every single one of us bears a portion of the responsibility for successes and failures, and part of that involves preparing ourselves for what we're going to face and knowing about what we might have to do as individuals. This becomes very important on fights like Teron Gorefiend, where preparation and practice by everyone will lead to earlier success.

Side note and weekend homework: Start practicing on the Teron Gorefiend Simulator. Read up on what each ability does (Wowwiki has a decent explanation, but there's a better one on the Elitist Jerks forum) and get used to it. It's very difficult at first, but the simulator is actually harder than it will be in-game, so dealing with the constructs will be a cakewalk if you can master the simulator. I'll be posting macros soon to help with this fight and will happily pass on the things I learned while doing the simulator myself (yes, I've successfully completed it over 30 times and still keep practicing).

For those of that are more musically inclined, listen to these before heading to Archi:

Video 1

Also, I was chatting with Uglutz while he was stuck on the highway in NY last week, heard this in the background, and thought it was fitting! Uglutz, for shame!

Catch the predominant theme here? (besides the fact that Uglutz likes John Travolta? ;p)

Listen to V, you noobs! We're gonna start calling out fools in TS and verbally abusing you! :D

*gets the whip ready* And clear TS while yer at it! *shakes fist* :dancing_smile:

Okay guys, while I know that Calendor is bad with his colors and symbols, I am posting a diagram that I'm hoping even HE will understand.

I used the picture from Bosskillers (found about halfway down the page here: http://www.bosskillers.com/cgi-bin/bbguild/index.cgi?action=view_guide&guide_id=119&sid=JdRq3Z2bGl ) and made something that is customized to our raid:

post-2656-1212619742_thumb.png

While I know we won't be out there with rulers, this gives a pretty good idea of how we should be standing relative to each other. This layout does make sure that everyone is within range of at least one decurser, and in most cases, two.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by Kadi

Okay guys, while I know that Calendor is bad with his colors and symbols, I am posting a diagram that I'm hoping even HE will understand.

I used the picture from Bosskillers (found about halfway down the page here: http://www.bosskillers.com/cgi-bin/bbguild/index.cgi?action=view_guide&guide_id=119&sid=JdRq3Z2bGl ) and made something that is customized to our raid:

post-2656-1212619742_thumb.png

While I know we won't be out there with rulers, this gives a pretty good idea of how we should be standing relative to each other. This layout does make sure that everyone is within range of at least one decurser, and in most cases, two.

Hope this helps!!

I am so in love with you now.

Archi goes down tomorrow! RAWR!

Great diagram Kadi, thanks!

My only suggestion - although may not be too viable not sure - would be to group up the ranged around each of the 4 de-cursers just a bit more (rather than purely even dispersal) - so that it might be easier to distinguish if the fire is headed for your group/neighbor.

as Benea said:

It will usually switch to someone close to that person, and if no one is near the last kiter/target, it will switch to some random person who might be on the other side of the field and the fire will loop around everywhere =P

might be good if groups ran away from flame trails together if possible in order to keep the trails o' fire moving in safe directions.

Archimonde_Strat_Other.jpg

Also, we need every class with a reset to remember to use them if they end up in flames (iceblock, clos, etc) and i know i will be having my pvp trinket equipped incase im feared and about to run into a flame trail.

We dont want anyone to die, this is the way of love! LOVE WILL LEAD US TO VICTORY!

Edited by Houli

Clumping together is a good strategy but EVERYONE needs to move if a doomfire is even CLOSE to you - that way if a decurser is running away the group he/she is supposed to decurse is moving with. Goodness knows I was running away from a fire and curses started popping up out of my range. I wasnt about to turn around and adn run back to find them hehe

Awesome drawing! Oh, paladins don't float. The bubbles just don't last long :dancing_smile:

Seriously, I'll probably slap on healing gear for this particular fight, just as an FYI to everyone. Going into ret mode just adds one more casualty to Air Bursts & close-range Doomfires, and we already have more than plenty of DPS to roast this giant squidface.

As far as the Archimonde strategy is concerned we are well aware of the "group clumping" strategy. For now however we will stick with our original tactic of having players run away on an individual basis. This does not negate the fact that if a Doomfire is close to you, you must run away!!! I suspect that even though we put the responsibility of running away on the shoulders of each individual player we will still see "mini groups" running together simply due to their proximity.

We are not throwing out the clumping strategy yet, we're just pocketing it for now in case our current tactics fail.

Also I'd like to raise an objection concerning the size of my circle in that drawing. My hit box is NOT that big :dancing_smile:

Due to an unexpected death in the girl's family, I must attend a funeral scheduled for Friday morning. This would normally not interfere with the raid schedule, however the funeral is in NJ and we are in Boston which leaves me driving down to NJ Thursday night.

That being said, I would like to attend the Hyjal portion of the event tonight. When we kill Archimonde, I would request to be excused from the rest of the activities so I may start my 4-5 hour drive.

I apologize for the short notice, and understand if my request is denied.

<can I say douche on the forums?>

Karrock

That's fine by me Karrock, we can certainly accommodate you in which ever way you want to do this. Hopefully we will be killing Archimonde tonight, but if it looks like we can't, will you be staying with us the full 3 hours?

That's fine by me Karrock, we can certainly accommodate you in which ever way you want to do this. Hopefully we will be killing Archimonde tonight, but if it looks like we can't, will you be staying with us the full 3 hours?

Yes. I have a very understanding better-half.

K

Yes. I have a very understanding better-half.

K

Wow... hold on to that one. ;p

Great diagram Kadi, thanks!

My only suggestion - although may not be too viable not sure - would be to group up the ranged around each of the 4 de-cursers just a bit more (rather than purely even dispersal) - so that it might be easier to distinguish if the fire is headed for your group/neighbor.

While you do have a point there, I think it would be a lot harder to compensate for a dead decurser with the 'clump' strategy, unless we make it so that each clump is within range of an adjacent decurser. While I know the tactic is to 'stay alive', I would hate to have to fail because of ONE person dying, and then taking their whole clump with them. People just need to pay attention, and run away in the direction of those arrows (which is why they're there!!) instead of running around in a circle. This is just my opinion, though.

I made the diagram based off of what we were trying to do Tuesday. If we change to 'clumps', I can change my diagram accordingly. :dancing_smile:

With the group strategy, we usually have 2 healers (1 heals tank, other heals group and tank), 1 decurser, and 1 shaman (if you have enough to go around). You run as a group unit from doomfire, or at least each group member must be within decurse and heal range of their other group members. You get airbursted together but shouldn't be a problem if people are good about the tears. If people are good about kiting hardly anybody will have doomfire anyway and thus won't be half life during/if any airburst happens.

You can survive people dying as long as 1. they die one at a time 2. it's not the tank that died. The only dangerous soul charge is the one with the silence, all the others are healable/recoverable. If a decurser dies, the decurser on the groups next to them can cover them easily. We don't really clump tightly per se, it's more like a loose clump (you can still tell each group apart but we're not close enough to pinch each others behind =P )

We did it last night with quite a few new people who've never been to arch, they did pretty much exactly as we told them and they did fine.

edit: I forgot, our melee group is usually 3 melee, 1 resto druid, 1 shaman in this fight. Druid heals and decurses the melee. We give the melee group tremor totem priority so they don't get doomfired every time Arch fears.

Also, if you start having problems with the fire going up the back hill (behind your tank) and looping all over creation, you can tank him pretty much where he stands initially (maybe a few yards closer to the back hill but not a lot). Another note is that if you hit trees you get this delay in falling closer to the ground, your tear effects fall off...and you fall to your death. Watch out for the damned trees =P

Edited by Benea

I dedicate tonight to the ninjas, pirates, and puppies - and this music pumps me up for raids a little more than what bar' suggested :dancing_smile:

PIRATES <-clicky

Edited by Houli