Classic Content Runs!

Holyssa

As most of you probably know, I'm running classic raids after our initial Gruul/Mag/ZA trips on the weekends. The following is a list of old-school content with Achievements tied into them, as well as the times I will be attempting to form rep runs. Given our recent successes and gear levels, these classic runs will take no more than an hour of your free time, and will be a perfect opportunity to experience what made many of Azeroth's finest leaders rip their hair out so long ago ^_^

Zul'Gurub: Sundays @ 9:00PM (or when Shelah's ZA group finishes)

Achievements:

Hakkar - Pretty simple. Destroy the Soul Flayer. Note that leaving all the priests up can still make this mob very aggravating even at L70, so a full, if not partial clear, is still a good idea.

Deadliest Catch - A must for if you wish to acquire the Fishing title. Summon the boss, and one person at a time will earn credit, whether you live to slay it or not.

Swift Razzashi Raptor / Zulian Tiger - Yep. Bloodlord Mandokir and High Priest Thekal still drop these super-rare animals.

Onyxia: Following BWL if there is interest. Simply killing her will earn the Achievement. Note that with the latest patch, there is no more attunement!

Temple of Ahn'Qiraj: Tuesdays @ 8:00PM. Will try to get a minimum of 25, but a full raid of 40 will make this place somewhat of a joke.

C'thun - Stab the great eyeball. AQ40's difficulty curb ranges from MC-ish to Naxx-like as it progresses. Many battles will be zergfests, but great care must be taken on specific sub bosses, and from Huhuran onward.

...oh, don't be "

" who chains the beam onto people.

Why? Because it's Red - There's four different colored Qiraji Battle Tank bugs in the dungeon, but this one is...special. Maybe girls find big red bugs sexy...

Blackwing Lair: Mondays after Gruul/Magtheridon (removed from Thursday & Friday to avoid conflicts with other raids/sleepy people)

Nefarian - Deathwing's son is still very nasty. A mandatory item for tanks is the Onyxia Scale Cloak, otherwise the shadowflame DoT will absolutely wreck even the most bad@$$ L70.

Smelt Elementium - Not an Achievement, but necessary for most blacksmiths to help build a familiar sword. A priest must Mind Control a goblin named Master Elemental Shaper Krixix (please don't kill him by mistake among a trash-mob zerg), and then "teach" players to smelt the ore.

What Tomorrow Brings - Long ago, many people sulked about the Silithus inn, knowing they'd never get a shot at this huge, yet lore-packed quest chain as they listened to that dumb goblin upstairs groaning 24/7. Now the head of Broodlord Lashlayer is lootable by all raid members! Get this quest!

Molten Core: (Will alternate with BWL depending on time, availability of Quintessences and manpower)

Ragnaros - TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! Note that you need Aqual Quintessences to douse the many runes in MC and awaken big bad Rags, so bring some old-school friends to help this process go by quicker.

Sulfuras / Thunderfury - Do these weapons need any introduction? Building them will award Feats of Strength, but good luck gathering the manpower and oodles of mats needed to make the goods.

Core Hounds - This specifically applies to deep-BM Hunters, but if you want a big drooling red friend, now is your chance!

Q: WTF are all these scarabs and idols for? (AQ)

A: Collect and turn them in for gear. Each turn in rewards you with a selection of bizzare items, as well as reputation. Personally? I'd stick with grinding the instance trash and turning in Twilight Text...unless you like weird looking weapons.

AQ20 Scarab Table: http://www.wowwiki.com/Ruins_of_Ahn%27Qiraj_quest_loot

AQ40 Scarab Table: http://www.wowwiki.com/Temple_of_Ahn%27Qiraj_quest_loot (these don't give rep, but I listed them for all you item packrats)

Q: Any rules on loot?

A: The usual: pass on everything, and we roll on stuff 1 item at a time. Some items are rep-boosters (Qiraji Insignias, for instance), but they cannot be turned in until you become Neutral with the Brood of Nozdormu (see the quest for Broodlord's head up above) or collect a specific set (ZG Coins). For non-set/rep items, we'll DE whatever is left behind, but don't feel ashamed to take a piece for nostalgia/fashion's sakes...Blood Elves, I'm looking at you ;).

Q: How long will these runs go on?

A: Until WotLK or until people get bored of it. :p

Q: Will we need stuff like NR or FR gear?

A: Not really. Paladin Auras & Aspect of the Wild should do fine for most encounters, since the level gap helps resist a good deal of damage done already. For places like AQ or MC, it's not nearly as heinous as oh say...Sapphiron in L60 Naxx.

Edited by Holyssa

Count me in for all of them ;)

I need 1 more exalted rep for the 25 so The AQ20 and 40 would help a lot to get the cenarion

Thanks a ton Holy for putting these together

Sign me up for the Tuesday/Thursday raids, and filling in on Monday if you need me. I could use the AQ40/BWL for Achievements and, like Remmetta, would love to have the AQ rep so I don't have to grind texts.

So much to do, so little time.

Hey Holy thanks for leading this! I will be there as much as possible. Also, i have the right side of the Thundefury sword, so would love to run MC to get a shot at the other half. I know i would probably never use it by time expansion came out, but it would still be cool to have obviously. (also need a rag kill). Look forward to blowing up the old stuff with everyone!

Good work last night folks! Even with the server stability displaying mass amounts of epic fail, we still killed the Twin Emperors via the mighty power of Paladin Facerolling™, and got to share one of the coolest boss fights in WoW with many friends.

Come back again Friday night after Kailand's Zul'aman run - with the Emperors dead, we can teleport to the room directly before C'thun and Ouro, leaving only a stream of trash pulls between us and the boss kill Achievement!

CthunPic.jpg

He sees what we did there. >.>

Holyssa, thank you so very much for leading these raids. In spite of all the problems last night, it was a blast!

That being said, I have uninvited relatives "popping in" to spend a couple of nights with me and I'll miss the finale Friday. I hope you'll be running it again next week and I can get another shot at the C'Thun Achievement.

I will be there Saturday night for BWL.

I'd wish you luck, but with the "facerolling Paladin" leading, it'll be a piece of cake. *grins*

Grr on Making BWL (my favorite old school instance) and MC on Saturdays! 99% of the time I won't be able to make these runs, but luckily(?) I should be able to make it at least this coming week.

So far, the runs have been an utter blast! Thanks so much for putting them together. ;)

Grr on Making BWL (my favorite old school instance) and MC on Saturdays! 99% of the time I won't be able to make these runs, but luckily(?) I should be able to make it at least this coming week.

So far, the runs have been an utter blast! Thanks so much for putting them together. ;)

I made a little schedule adjustment after much needed thinking/coffee drinking.

BWL will immediately follow Gruul/Sacktheridon on Monday nights. In my opinion, it is the shortest of the 40-mans, and given our success in AQ40 with a group at half size, we can roflstomp it in a swift amount if time and earn 25-40 people their Nefarian kill. That, and Saturdays are typically a day of real life R&R for people (and in some cases, dead quiet in-game), and it would seem odd to me to suddenly pop a raid in there just weeks before Wraith.

As for Ossirian and MC? The Great Pecker I'll be putting on hold for a bit, depending on demand for his achievement. And with the recent patch changes, Cenarion rep is super easy to farm by killing mobs for the Texts...a boring task, but very satisfying @ 500 rep for 10 per turn in.

MC I'm thinking of placing on Mondays after we kill Nefarian, and alternating back & forth till WotLK hits. If enough people stay online after Magtheridon, we can possibly form a full raid of 40 heavily armed Crushers and watch the guild flood with Achievement spam :p

Let me know what you guys think. I kinda suck when it comes to planning these things (gimme credit - my days of leading as a mage are very foggy x.x), but I hate to see this content become forgotten come xpac time, especially now that Blizzard has given us some form of motivation to return.

Edited by Holyssa

Mini FYI - Blackwing Lair is tonight (after Magtheridon)! Before heading down to Blackrock Mountain, please grab this quest from Silithus called "What Tomorrow Brings". It's a very short quest which merely involves approaching the big dragon outside Caverns of Time. The next part, however, is crucial for folks that wish to take a stab at Nozdormu rep, or completing their own AQ Scepter chain for lore's sakes - because the item it asks for is Broodlord Lashlayer's head!

Also: if you plan on inviting friends/guests from outside of CS, please let me know well in advance!! I think you all realized how much it sucked @$$ summoning people to AQ40 without a warlock at the stroke of midnight. So if you know someone who wants their Nefarian Achievement, speak up. :lostit:

Mini FYI - Blackwing Lair is tonight (after Magtheridon)! Before heading down to Blackrock Mountain, please grab this quest from Silithus called "What Tomorrow Brings". It's a very short quest which merely involves approaching the big dragon outside Caverns of Time. The next part, however, is crucial for folks that wish to take a stab at Nozdormu rep, or completing their own AQ Scepter chain for lore's sakes - because the item it asks for is Broodlord Lashlayer's head!

Also: if you plan on inviting friends/guests from outside of CS, please let me know well in advance!! I think you all realized how much it sucked @$$ summoning people to AQ40 without a warlock at the stroke of midnight. So if you know someone who wants their Nefarian Achievement, speak up. :lostit:

Hey Holy,

the mags/grulls run may have to start late tonight (see base camp, I have to work till 7p). Not sure if this will push the BWL run too far back for your schedule. If so I'm willing to dump the run this week. Let me know if you see this.

-Gordantell

Ill take the big blame for that one, Holy. That was my fault.

I do have a few friends outside the guild that would like in tonight, but lets make sure we take care of our own first. Ill also try to get them there at the beginning.

Thanks so much for leading these, Holy!

- Bar

Hey Holy,

the mags/grulls run may have to start late tonight (see base camp, I have to work till 7p). Not sure if this will push the BWL run too far back for your schedule. If so I'm willing to dump the run this week. Let me know if you see this.

I wouldn't be too worried - even if someone else forms up the Gruul/Mag run a bit later than usual, both raids should get cleaned up relatively quickly in light of the HP nerfs.

BWL will be also be a relatively short trip. Now that I have the mats needed for one of those precious Ony Cloaks, we should have zero problems downing the 3 drakes & Nef, making this a silly-fast clear if people show up quickly.

Ill take the big blame for that one, Holy. That was my fault.

I do have a few friends outside the guild that would like in tonight, but lets make sure we take care of our own first. Ill also try to get them there at the beginning.

Thanks so much for leading these, Holy!

Your welcome! And don't worry about taking the blame - thankfully the stone outside was working as intended (lawl), but I don't think the one in BRM will be as generous, which is why I'm being a bit more strict on showing up on time.

RAWR @ Nefarian dead in just above 45 minutes or so.

We'll be doing AQ40 again tonight for more mounts, C'thun kills (bring a reasonably strong alt if you want the Achievement on someone else this time), and hopefully moar Brood rep. Also: we'll do Viscidus & Ouro for more Qiraji Insignias.

Next Monday we'll do one final BWL, and the following Tuesday (Nov. 4th) will be Molten Core for those still requiring Rags!

Good job last night folks - C'thun one-shotted even with all his numerous bugs/glitches and many new faces. Proof that crappy programming cannot stop a solid group of friends & raiders from accomplishing stuff. And what I consider a big accomplishment: knocking down one of the weirdest and most-ignored gimmick fights ever: Viscidus.!

Next Tuesday will be Molten Core! AQ40 will be taken off the list now that the vast majority of mains have C'thun's kill Achievement done, and I'd like more of our own clan to see Ragnaros (c'mooon Finkle's Lava Dredger!). So if you got an Aqual Quintessence eating bank space, bust it out for next week.

Also: if you have completed the "Only One May Rise" quest with us in BWL - you should use this chance to grind to Neutral with the Brood by following the quest instructions. I was hoping we could push to Neutral via more AQ40 farming, but with the xpac looming in a few weeks, it will be a tricky goal to reach without ignoring other raid boss Achievements people need (Rags, Hakkar, Ossirian, etc.). Once you hit Neutral, then you can turn in all those Insignias you've (hopefully) been stockpiling.

EDIT: One last thing. If you own a deep BM-spec'd hunter and you want a red (read: sexy) Core Hound, stable your current pet. Once we kill Magmadar, these guys stop spawning!

Edited by Holyssa

I'll be there next run! Got a ulcer so didn't feel like playing the game other than logging on all my chars for the trick or treats =P

StabbyMcgee even got a blue quality pumpkin head in a treat bag too!

Well anyway see you all there. /AFK

:lostit:

I'll be there next run! Got a ulcer so didn't feel like playing the game other than logging on all my chars for the trick or treats =P

StabbyMcgee even got a blue quality pumpkin head in a treat bag too!

Well anyway see you all there. /AFK

:lostit:

Hope you feel better soon!

Well, we didn't do Hyjal, but instead - we tackled the Molten Core, earning folks Ragnaros Achievements! We'll be going back Tuesday for alts who still need Rags's Achievement, as well as one final BWL tonight after Magtheridon. Both runs were a super-fast success (around an hour or so per dungeon), so come for the Achievements & RP nick-nacks!

Thanks to all who took the time & trouble to whiz on the runes for us! :laugh:

EDIT: Next Monday (Nov 10th) we'll do AQ20/ZG back to back. Both are super-fast clears if we avoid lengthy AFKs & excess trash. Tuesday (Nov 11th) will not be a retro raid, but I had something a lot more..."tough" in mind, as a last hurrah for fun before WotLK comes out on the 13th. Only the strongest dare apply! Wednesday will be a MC retro run for people missing Rags.

EDIT: Change of heart. Read above :)

Edited by Holyssa

Well, we didn't do Hyjal, but instead - we tackled the Molten Core, earning folks Ragnaros Achievements! We'll be going back Tuesday for alts who still need Rags's Achievement, as well as one final BWL tonight after Magtheridon. Both runs were a super-fast success (around an hour or so per dungeon), so come for the Achievements & RP nick-nacks!

Thanks to all who took the time & trouble to whiz on the runes for us! :laugh:

EDIT: Next Monday we'll do AQ20/ZG back to back. Both are super-fast clears if we avoid lengthy AFKs & excess trash. Tuesday will not be a retro raid, but I had something a lot more..."tough" in mind, as a last hurrah for fun before WotLK comes out on the 13th. Only the strongest dare apply!

Kier and I would like to apply for your "tough" challange on Tuesday!

EDIT: Next Monday we'll do AQ20/ZG back to back. Both are super-fast clears if we avoid lengthy AFKs & excess trash. Tuesday will not be a retro raid, but I had something a lot more..."tough" in mind, as a last hurrah for fun before WotLK comes out on the 13th. Only the strongest dare apply!

Have heals, will travel. I heard this place used to be hugely paladin unfriendly. It'll be a good chance for me to give the class changes a nice shakedown run before the expac comes out.

BUCK FLIZZARD! As usual, their technology displays steaming heaps of epic fail. So yea, no Sunwell tonight, BUT Molten Core is still on for tomorrow.

MC will be our final retro run for what will be a VERY long time. Why? There's Northrend to conquer, noobfaces! :dancing_smile: