Info on Arena Battles

Amahli

(Vrugz cliff notes at the bottom)

I was curious which of us were interested in doing Arena. :) Here's a little information that I've gathered for those who haven't been reading up on it. And I apologize, and hope this makes sense, since I'm typing it all up myself. Boo copy-paste! ((I'm going to post about the ratings/rewards/and Arena points later, cause I'm tired and stuff :D))

As some of ya'll know, the Arena teams come in flavors of 2v2, 3v3, 5v5. You also have to be level 70 to compete.

The competitons are split up into Seasons. Each of these seasons lasts several MONTHS. After each season is when prizes and ranks are given out.

Now, you actually have to purchase a "team charter", and you get to name your team. Like with a new guild, you have to have the folks that you want on your team actually SIGN the charter, since all teams have to be registered. Much like in sports, you get benchwarmers. *Grins* Up to twice the number of folks that go into whichever arena match you choose (2v2, 3v3, 5v5) can join the team. And you have to have at least one more than the number of the arena match sign up to start.

You also get to design the flag for your team! :p

To enter an Arena challenge, alls you gots to do is talk to an Arena Battlemaster and pick the queue you want.

I'll go ahead and sum up the rules from the Blizz main site.

While in the starting pen (area before the match starts)..

• Existing buffs and conjured items are deleted from your person upon entering.
  • Health and mana set to full.
  • Debuffs are NOT cleared.
  • Any buffs/abilities that cost mana/energy/rage are free while in the holding pen.
  • All cooldowns are reset (including things like trinkets/class abilities/talents) EXCEPT for those with cooldowns greater than 15 minutes, which you cannot use anyway. (this means no SS and no Battle Rez).
  • Soul Shard costs for anything Warlocky are free. So.. Healthstone and summon pets now.
  • Players with pets must resummon their pets.

A little about the way it's played..

When you first enter the game, you are tossed into one of two arenas, and you can tell which just by looking at your minimap.

The first is the Ring of Trials. It's a pretty basic circular arena with four pillars (which you can lose line of sight behind). After one minute with no victorious side, a Cyclone appears. Scaaaary. After 90 seconds, two "Shadow Sight powerups" appear on the right and left sides of the arena, in the little enclaves, and if you snag one you can see stealthed/invisible people at the cost of 15% damage to yourself.

The second is the Circle of Blood. This one has a few more tricks to it. There's a doublesided ramp on each side of this arena, with a bridge connecting them. Also, on either side of the bridge, there is a stone pillar just close enough to jump to. After 90 seconds, two "Shadow Sight powerups" appear on those things, and if you snag one you can, again, see stealthed/invisible people at the cost of 15% damage to yourself.

Now that you know which arena you're in, you'll have noticed by now the flags that each of you are carrying. Again, these are the flags that represent your team, with the design that your team made on them. The other team is also carrying flags of their own, of course, to help differentiate the two teams. This is mostly because Alliance will be facing Alliance, and Horde against Horde upon occasion. Also because of this, you will NOT know who you are facing until the match has begun. (Although you can yell out across the Arena to see if someone responds :) ))

How to win..

The entire goal of the game is to be the last team standing. The team whose members have all died first LOSES. Simple enough! If you do die during the match, you go into a ghost form and can still watch the match happening, but you cannot do anything.

A few other rules..

• No abilities with cooldowns greater than 15 minutes can be used in Arena matches. Meaning most importantly.. there are NO soulstones and NO Battle Rezzes, among other things like Retaliation (poor warrios), Shammy Self Rez, and PallyLayOnHandsThatNoOneCaresAboutAnyway.. *shifty eyes*.
  • The only consumable items that anyone can use are Bandaids and Conjured items. Sorry, looks like no potions! Booo. I was hoping I could have my Onslaught Elixir.
  • Arena matches have NOOO time limit.

Well, I hope that was painless enough. My advice is to get a wellrounded team, of course, and practice! If you try to every-man-for-himself it, you will more than likely lose. Practicing team mechanics and learning how the other team is most likely to react is KEY to winning. The better you work together, and the more coordinated you are, the better chance you have to WIN.

-----------------------------------

Vrugz cliffnotes version:

• Arena battles are coming up!
  • You have to make and register teams to compete for the shiny stuff.
  • There are two arenas, and a few rules.
  • To win, you need to kill the other team before they kill yours.
  • Get a team that works well together, because team mechanics are very important.

Edited by Amahli

Thanks for the info Amahli! Well organized and written btw. This could be a lot of fun me thinks.

Oh, and the Vrugz version was well written as well. Hmmm . . . I just might ask you to write the synopsis for the back of my back book when its finished.

Hehe, there are a lot of combinations with promise. But I actually think team mechanics are more important than class combinations. If you don't communicate clearly, and know what the other person is going to do, it's a lot trickier.

And from doing Arenas like a devil before BC, I've noticed a lot of groups with Pallys in it were good. As well as 3v3 or 5v5 teams with ranged DPSers. Deadly.

Personally, I was thinking about a 2v2 or a 3v3 team. I also -might- switch up my spec to something a little more PvP feral. *shrugs* And again, teams can have up to twice the members. Also, each team MUST have an least ONE alternate. So a 3v3 team actually has to have anywhere from 4-6 members on it.

being that the baby is due soon - and I will be gone from 6 - 10 weeks (depending on how long it takes to get into a routine) Not a good idea for me to commit to something like this =p

Dont think the other team will wait while I feed a newborn :rotflmao:

Sign me up, Amahli. As Ive mentioned, Im not sure about my viability in pvp right now - Enhancement shaman are currently very easy to kill, even though our damage output is high.

However, if we can develop a strategy to counteract that and exploit our newfound insane burst capability, I think we could tear it up!

We definitely have enough for a 5-Crusher team. I, for one, would love to see this. Sign me up for the 5-man!

-Rhoach

p.s. The only thing keeping us from this is coordination. If we need someone to be the 'leader' type, I will gladly fill the spot.

Anyone else interested in forming up a five spot?

Edited by Rhoach

I would definitely be interested, Rhoach.

Although I know from practice matches that 5v5 teams are very much more difficult. You have to know not only what your 4 teammates are going to do.. but also what the 5 opponents are doing. :rotflmao:

I might agree to be an alternate for a team, but you're better off taking someone else. I doubt I'd end up taking part much. If I'm going to PvP, I like it to be objective-based, not straight deathmatching. Besides, even if my aged and infirm reflexes were up to it, my system and connection probably aren't. :rotflmao:

Edited by Scryll