Age Requirement?

Syban

Should the ITC have a minimum Age Requirement?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my opinion maturity should be more of a factor than age. Over the years I've run into some very mature people online who turned out to be very young, as well as some extremely immature adults. The only real reason to put in an actual age requirement would be to all members to speak freely about whatever they want without having to worry about making anyone's parents mad :D

Maturity is a factor, I know what you are talking about when you say just because they are old they may not be mature. Although, 90% of the time the older they are the more mature, reliable and devoted than those of a younger age that will leave or cross the guild because they didnt get something for free (which from what I have encountered is the basis of most younger kids joining the guild). Help is one thing, but when someone asks me for money or to buy them an item and gets all pissy cause I didnt do it and leaves the guild is someone I dont want to be in the guild in the first place. I would much rather skip the first step of trying to figure out wether or not the person is going to contribute or leach. This may just be my experience, but I vote that we do have an age requirement. This is of course my opinion and that is how I stand on the subject. :D

I do agree with you somewhat on your point Chris. I've met a few very mature players and was shocked to find out later how young they were. but for as many, I'm met some young ones that are still very immature.

ITC for the most part is a "mature" guild. In my opinion, there should be an age requirement of 17, and following the recruitement process, any member who has a possible recruit should spend time with them, to learn how mature they are before sponsering them.

I TOTALLY agree with you on your points Sei, and there is usually a higher turn around rate with younger players and are also the ones that constantly spam guild chat for this or that which has a tendancy to make others quiet in guild chat.

Perhaps put in an age requirement as a guideline, but allow exceptions in cases where there has been sufficient interaction to reveal their intent and maturity level?

Perhaps put in an age requirement as a guideline, but allow exceptions in cases where there has been sufficient interaction  to reveal their intent and maturity level?

Perhaps .. although you have good opinions I would like to say to you and those that may wish to vote on this poll that if you are not an active member of ITC your vote does not and will not count.

*no offence, but I would not vote and sway a decision if I was not an active member of the game in which I was voting for.

We've had an age requirement of 17 for just about all of our other games we've ventured into.

It has worked very good for us overall.

WoW we ran into some problems as most of the membership of WoW is on average below that age.

I like the current membership of ITC and the maturity level (except Syban of course)

I agree with an age requirement although PGoH of T.H.E. took me into consideration even though i was younger than the age limit at the time I feel its a rare situation to find someone as mature as I was at that age. I also feel that if someone is mature for their age they will accept the age requirement and if they are really mature will find a way to prove themselves to us just like i did in PGoH to bypass the requirement. One thing I liked about the old day PGoH was that as a new member you were on a probation for i think it was almost a year, now I understand now days that is alot to ask but a mature person will have the patience to wait to be a full member.

One thing I liked about the old day PGoH was that as a new member you were on a probation for i think it was almost a year, now I understand now days that is alot to ask but a mature person will have the patience to wait to be a full member.

I think it's always been 1 month of constant activity (followed by judgement of the decurion and a majority vote by the membership). Even after that though they just went into the training phase (squire) that lasts until they're seen as ready for full membership and pass a test on the rules and history and stuff. :D

yes, it is a sad fact of life that it is hard to find mature people even among people my age(18), and even older.

However, it is an even more sad fact of life that that difficulty is multiplied with each year younger you go.

Not to say that it's an impossible feat, but the odds are very much against you.

I vote for the age requirement as a guideline, but a very inflexible one. Exceptions should be few and far between in my opinion.

Anyways, that's my one cent (since i'm too poor to give another).

If a set-in-stone age requirement with no possibility of exceptions is implemented, the following FAQ will have to be updated: T.H.E. Age Restriction

:)

Sorry, but that stays the same. We have people under 17 in every game. We take 17 as a guideline. If someone is under 17 they must prove themselves mature. 99% of the time, they are not mature.

That FAQ is also on the .ORG domain and has not been moved over to the new .NET domain.

Chris.. no one here is saying that this age MUST be set in stone. This poll was started to get a feel for what the ITC wanted, and for ITC members to post their opinions. I mean no offense to you, but you are no longer an active member in SWG, for if you were perhaps you would better understand the reason this poll was put in place.

I would also like to formally apologise to you Syban. Though this matter has been discussed between several of us officers and you, it was my idea for the poll. Did not expect this to turn into some huge ordeal. :(

but you are no longer an active member on SWG

As far as the "set-in-stone" thing goes, that's the most likely thing to be assumed when reading the word "requirement".

As for the part I've got quoted up here, ask Syban about that. :(

As to not understanding the reasoning behind this... HAHAHA! I've dealt with the problem many times in every game I have played. I even booted several people from ITC for things like that.

*sigh* why does everything around me always turn into either a nuthouse or an argument?

I knew there was another reason I was leary about this poll and seeing the age requirement bit on our FAQ was it. Yes it should not be a requirement only a guideline.

In UO I met many (Over half of my friends there.) that were under 18 and acted VERY mature for their age.

And no need to apologize Jadeynn it was my poll and my post. If I would've remembered our FAQ when we discused this previous it would've helped.

So no blood no foul. Though I am going to close this topic for now.

General guidelines still remain though. Maturity level must be there if not no go on guildship.

Archived