Zuworty's Raid Information

Calendar

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously-the dkp comment was a joke..my apologies for opening up this can o' worms. In no way did I ever think that a dkp reset was the way to go, and I still believe it is not appropriate.

As of now, the raid is not being held back by gear, achievements aside. So the gear distribution is a bit of a moot point. I am in favor of gearing healers and tanks first, then dps. Even loot distribution is always best and most beneficial to the raid as a whole for dps classes.

My fear is that we get to Ulduar and the small upgrades ppl have passed on in naxx would be what is holding us back from progressing.

Douches

K

Seriously-the dkp comment was a joke..my apologies for opening up this can o' worms. In no way did I ever think that a dkp reset was the way to go, and I still believe it is not appropriate.

As of now, the raid is not being held back by gear, achievements aside. So the gear distribution is a bit of a moot point. I am in favor of gearing healers and tanks first, then dps. Even loot distribution is always best and most beneficial to the raid as a whole for dps classes.

My fear is that we get to Ulduar and the small upgrades ppl have passed on in naxx would be what is holding us back from progressing.

Well i'm with ya (at the bottom). The DKP shouldn't be a issue really since Uldar won't be out for awhile. (they are starting to test it now right?) Personally I think DKP should be reset like when we went from Gruul to BWL and SSC. Naxx is like kara of this expansion, we haven't hit the challenging content yet.

**For example, when I briefly ran with schadenfreude in BC we had separate DKP for every dungeon to avoid these issues. It's more work to have separate DKP tables probably, but it would help.

Edited by Orcala

when we went from Gruul to BWL and SSC...

I didn't realize that BWL was after Gruul. You are on a roll in this thread orcala :)

Oh jesus I mean Black Temple! They both have the word black in them... :dancing_smile:

....Yeah I don't know how I got into Schaden haha

Edited by Orcala

• 2 weeks later...
sorry guys my net was out all last night so couldnt make the raid =/

no problem, I have been in the same crappy situation. Hopefully it's back up, and you are ready to go next week.

• 3 weeks later...
Woo i'm not at the bottom of DKP anymore! Thanks Anamarie for showing us how low it can go wahaha

*Gothik voice*

DKP! Pit! Now!

*hurls a bunch of giant styrofoam numbers into a pit full of bones*

:rolleyes:

Sorry about yesterday I thought we raided until 10:30 and were going over to finish that last wing. Holy didn't tell me until I shut down my computer that you were finishing the last two guys up too. You have permission to boot me if it happens again no matter what holy says. (just because hes main tank and i'm his gf doesn't mean I get to screw up!) :rolleyes:

*points to page 1 of the thread*

Time

Tuesday 8pm-11pm server (EST)

Thursday 8pm-11pm server (EST)

Thou needeth glasses.

And if you aren't sure about whether or not we're gonna finish a dungeon/wing, just ask me or Zu next time or let us know you aren't feeling 100%.

This goes for anyone else feeling the potential burnout bug. Yes, it's same ol' Naxx. But folks still need stuff from the end bosses, and like last night's battle with Patchwerk, some Achievements will have us banging our heads on desks like a Downs-afflicted rhinoceros, and I doubt Blizzard will build us an encounter-skipping escalator like they did with SSC/TK to get folks to the good loot.

So if you cannot commit or perform to your fullest, by all means: speak up! :rolleyes:

Edited by Holyssa

Sorry about yesterday I thought we raided until 10:30 and were going over to finish that last wing. Holy didn't tell me until I shut down my computer that you were finishing the last two guys up too. You have permission to boot me if it happens again no matter what holy says. (just because hes main tank and i'm his gf doesn't mean I get to screw up!) :rolleyes:

lol... the raid is scheduled for 8:00-11:00. Plus it gave uglutz some nice hate fodder. That was almost archimonde classic material (orcala, why are you in shattrath).

From any other person this would be a lame excuse and I would call shenanigans.

But it's Orcala, so I actually believe her.

Now, the real debate: What's worse? Making lame excuses, or being so absent-minded that people are unsurprised when this kind of stuff happens?

I came up with my own Monkey List that Zu can use when people keep dying to silly crap. I'd make more ranks, but if we needed that many, our raid would be in serious trouble. Soooo...

Oh, don't read unless you have a sense of humor :rolleyes:

Rank 5: Chimp

Yep. A plain ol' chimp. Curiosity or slow reflexes snuff you out again & again, and an orc shaman is laughing at you somewhere, just like how they laughed at Carrie. But improve, and you can graduate from being a poop-flinger!

4: Dr. Zaius

I put him here cause he's smart. Damned dirty void zones!

3: Amy

You die so much, your bones begin to form pictures on the floor. And they got nothing to do with dreams. This is where it stops being funny.

2: King Mukla

At this point, you're just sitting there and taking the punches, just like STV's lesser-known quest fodder. GG for taking one for the team!

1: The apes from 2001

Sarth and pals touched the black monolith first. How do you like them apples?

And for the serious stuff...

- Read the strategy I found! http://www.thehonorempire.org/forums/index...showtopic=13103. Many of the tactics we tried (such as one tank handling all three drakes) proved successful, but I can't help but feel that a lot of people didn't get the memo.

- Don't tease Sarth. Seriously. The more DPS you lay on him before Tenebron lands, the more our DK has to struggle. Stuff like Curse of Weakness is okay.

- If you really, REALLY can't avoid waves, jump in & out of lava. The damage is trivial compared to the other stuff in the room.

- Run to your add tank if mobs give you trouble. Don't fight back or try to squeeze off that last big cast. RUN!

Holy nailed the big points above that I was banging my head on my desk about last night when I realised that folks didn't know them.

As for Sarth himself, there are a few things to know about tanking him that most probably have no clue about, but is important regardless because it's directly related to how well things go with the drakes.

Probably the most notable is that, with the combined debuffs from Vesperon and Shadron, his breath attack can hit for around 74k before mitigation. That's no typo, folks, 74,000. Am I sporting 75,000 health to survive this? Nope, but I do have some (incredibly overpowered) cooldowns to help out. The trick for me is timing them properly while doing the same dances that the rest of the raid is doing. Void zones can and do spawn under me sometimes, and I'm not immune to flame tsunami either, so don't think you're alone in this. I honestly only have enough cooldowns to last for about 45secs once the big breaths start, after which I need external help (priest shields, HoS, etc) which I need to call for on TS...senseless chatter or poking fun at folks during the encounter will lead to a guaranteed wipe if I can't do this, so save that chatter for later. I have macros set up to raid warning this kind of info, but we're already being bombarded by boss mods and such, so I need TS as clear as I can get it during that (hopefully short) time.

The reasons for having no dps on Sartharion in the beginning are two-fold. For one, I respec for the fight to improve my survivability...at the expense of a massive amount of threat generation. Basically, my threat sucks so unless you want to take a turn at tanking Sartharion as dps, don't start on him until after the drakes are dead. Secondly, there are portions of the fight where I can't hit Sartharion AT ALL. Between Sarth's full immunity during a portion of the fight, and adding the damage from Vesperon's acolyte if I actually attack him while that debuff is up, I can't afford adding even more incoming damage to those nasty breaths. So I have a gap where I'm generating absolutely no threat at all and have to focus exclusively on survival. Ideally, once the drakes are down, Holy or Ascoli could (and probably should) taunt Sarth off of me for the final Sarth-only portion of the fight, but by that time, I should have built up a reasonable amount of threat lead to handle it either way (please let me know if you're going to do this before actually doing it, tanks).

Any and all resist buffs are extremely helpful to both me and the other tanks, most notably fire resist auras and the like. I'm not just being crabby when asking for it...they can mean the difference between me getting breath-gibbed or living during the hardest part of the fight tanking-wise. I'm already wearing some fire resist for the fight and using a resistance flask, but it's not all that great on its own. This helps the other tanks as well and I highly recommend for them to at least use a resistance flask of some sort if they're getting killed quickly by the adds or drakes' breath attacks. I have a lot of abilities to make up for slightly lower FR, but the other tanks don't and I'd rather not risk it for me regardless when it's not hard to get that aura clicked.

For the raid, always bear in mind that until Vesperon is down, we ALL have 25% less maximum health than normal. Couple that with Shadron's 100% boost to fire damage and that means one thing: get those drakes down in a hurry. Tenebron is the LEAST dangerous. His aura amplifies shadow damage, but since he lands first, it's nice to get him out of the way early and lessen the damage from Vesperon's acolyte. When (not if) you read up on this fight, take particular note of the debuffs and what they do when stacked on each other, then think about what goes on in the fight. Lots of elemental adds? They're doing double damage thanks to Shadron's debuff...to a tank that's got 25% less health.

Vesperon's acolyte is no joke either. Until we kill him, keep in mind that the damage that you do will incur damage on you...if you're going to die from it, be smart and don't pray that a healer will save you while you keep going. Dead dps does no damage, so bandage or give your healers a chance to catch up and get to you. As many found out, AoE while that acolyte is up is not a good idea.

The most important thing I can convey is my usual broken record "READ UP ON THE FIGHT". This isn't a fight that folks can walk into and just "lolwut" at explanations, then succeed. It's complicated and has some very specific elements to it that make it much more difficult than two drakes. Also, since a chunk of this encounter is a dps/healing race, don't be cheap...bring and use elixirs/flasks/food/voodoo dolls/whatever.

Oh, and insert the usual "blue stuff and giant walls of fire are bad" comment here....

We have a few "benchmarks" on the drakes portion that we have yet to reach. As you read about the encounter, keep those in mind and how you can do your part to reach them. It's a team effort, so put aside the snarky crap about who stood in void zones...pull it together, focus, and work together.

I don't know if im the only one thats alone on this, so ill say something.

The last couple posts were very informative and will help. But at the same time, its going WAYYYY off of the point.

We spent that whole night dieng on 3 drakes, because people were constantly dieng to blue crap/lava waves, end of story. And anyone who trys to deny that, is just making everyone beat there heads against the wall. I don't wanna hear this "oh well i was only the 3rd or 4th person to die this try." the whole point is not to die at all. I mean seriously, isnt it enough that we have people calling out when blue ###### is up haha???

But again if im the only person that feels this way just let me know.

Edited by Xenojin

On a slightly different note...

It would probably be a much more efficient usage of time if we tried pooling our fishing efforts to make fish feasts for everyone. That is to say, instead of 5 people fishing all over the place to each bring a handful of fish feasts, we could probably just pick a person and have them always lay it out for everyone. Then we would just donate fish and/or spices to that individual.

In the spirit of giving (and since I won't be here the next two weeks), I'll donate 100 spices and four stacks of nettlefish to Kalea, for her to make fish feasts for everyone, all the time. So, without us micromanaging the fish bank, I hope everyone will just find the good will to donate fish feast mats to Kalea and have her centralize our food buffs.

Thanks Momma K!

I just want to put in a few points here as well.

1) The tactics we were using were pretty sound. We did slight variations on when bloodlust is used and when to AoE the adds. These aren't big shifts in tactics, but they allow us to get a feel of what's best for us. I plan on continuing along the same route and perhaps introducing a few more shifts in strategy again.

2) I agree with Waldy, there certain aspects of the fight that folks are not understanding. Hell, even I get confused and mixed up at times since there's a lot going on. A read up on the fight, even if this is the 100th time you do so, wouldn't hurt.

3) Now to my main point: This is likely the HARDEST fight prior to Ulduar. We are going to wipe A LOT. I cannot stress enough that everyone in the raid should be patient on these wipes, this is a lot like Archimonde, one or two people dying are going to screw it up for everyone else. Do not get overly frustrated with your fellow players and don't get upset if your comments, tactics and strategies are not picked up or if we choose not to adhere to them. Keep re-iterating your points if you need to, but please be patient. I'm saying this because towards the end of Thursday I had more nasty tells coming my way than I could count. If you can't take a few wipes to learn a boss, you don't belong in a raid.

4) Also, I know wipe after wipe can take its toll on a raid. I don't mind people getting chatty in between attempts to keep the mood fun and lighthearted. Just remember, the second an explanation is being given or an attempt is started, please STFU so that the important information can be relayed on TS.

Zu