Shoppin' for Shadow Resistance.

Holyssa

With Kael's death just a gnome's throw away, we'll be climbing up Mt. Hyjal soon. However, Baracko has recently brought to our attention that most people still lack their Medallion of Karabor.

Just by looking at the stats, you can tell this will be useful for something other than a (now) defunct instance key. It is a mandatory item for a few situations: namely Anetheron and Mother Shahraz.

Thankfully, there's a list of Shadow Resist Gear at this link:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Mother_Shahraz/Shadow_resist_gear

And now the Q&A before the QQ:

Q: Shadow Resist is da poop! My greens will save me!

A: The greens are a good way to get started, yes. But even if you manage to grab every +stamina/SR item on AH, your DPS & HP pools will still pale compared to the massive stat leap the items in the above list provide. Yea, you'll seem uber in the face of warlocks & these mobs, but what good does it do you if you got the punching power of a 12-year old?

If need be, collect greens to act as "filler" items (belt, bracers, pants, etc.) before crafting the epic stuff.

Q: Where do the Hearts of Darkness come from? How can I get some for crafting my stuff?

A: Hyjal/BT trash, or performing special "favors" for people already farming these instances. As for availability for when our own raid starts seeing them? Ask the officers when that time comes. Keep in mind they are used to craft other crazy-strong items besides the Shadow Resist gear, so DON'T BE STINGY!

Q: Hmmm....a lot of that crap requires Ashtongue Deathsworn rep.

A: If you did your homework and completed your chain to get the Medallion of Karabor, you should be well into 1900+ points Neutral with these guys. Some of the patterns become available from Friendly and up, which can be acquired via killing BT trash.

The vendor is a Broken named Okuno.

Q: I can't find the Greater Shadow Resist to Cloak formula! /wristcut

A: Grab your enchanter buddy, and go farm Voidshriekers. You may get this on the first kill, or after your first one hundred kills. Results may vary ^_^

Q: My SR is still kinda wonky. Got any ideas for my miscellaneous slots?

A: Yup. This link has Gear Guides for the other slots and consumables. Keep in mind a good portion of this stuff comes from quests, mindless crafting/farming, or pre-BC instances (Naxx).

Some items from BC still don't show up on that list, like green L65+ rings/necks. Don't be afraid to go the extra mile just to number-crunch!

EDIT: Added colors for a bit more "whoa".

Edited by Holyssa

Sounds like you're way ahead of the rest of us, Holyssa. I'm at the point in the quest where you have to retrieve the artifact from Mt. Hyjal, but remember that a lot of us could still use gear from SSC/TK. :(

Sounds like you're way ahead of the rest of us, Holyssa. I'm at the point in the quest where you have to retrieve the artifact from Mt. Hyjal, but remember that a lot of us could still use gear from SSC/TK. :(

We're aware of that Kalea. However, in most cases, the gear people are waiting for will be very quickly replaced in one way or another. Completing sets is no longer really necessary for upward movement in raid instances, especially with the oddities in itemization these days. The only real argument for continuing to farm SSC/TK is for some of the high-end pieces that only drop in one place - Sea-Witch robes and the belt I got, for example.

Realistically, we can easily move up into Hyjal without a hiccup... we will kill the two big bosses a few times, then move on to bigger and better things. T6 > T5 in most cases, anyway.

Edited by Baracko

Sounds like you're way ahead of the rest of us, Holyssa. I'm at the point in the quest where you have to retrieve the artifact from Mt. Hyjal, but remember that a lot of us could still use gear from SSC/TK.

I know the lists seem a bit intimidating. But this is good for people who want to get a jump start on the material farming process, so when the patterns are available from rep vendors, we can get cracking on 'em as soon as the opportunity arises & save time/trouble. :(

As I told Baracko and Uglutz, I'm a noob and always open to direction on what I need to do to be properly geared. I just don't know when I'm going to find the time to pvp for that trinket. I used to have one, but I think I tossed it because the effects are so much like having a tremor totem down.

Some of those will be purchasable from a rep vendor associated with BT/Hyjal, if I remember correctly. Check me on this, Holy?

You are correct.

Some guilds kill a few bosses in Hyjal to get a basic start on gear, then whittle down stuff in BT to get a jump start on rep (Najentus through Shade of Akama is apparently the "easy" stuff). They then build the basic SR items from Friendly rep and work on the bosses they skipped in Hyjal that have an equally demanding SR check. Given how easily we plowed through Mr. Winterchill, our results may vary above the norm & we may not have to farm as heavily if people play it smart.

While it comes to mind, Kaz'rogal's Mana Drain is affected by this stat also...

Edited by Holyssa

Yeah, Kazrogal will be the check for us from a SR standpoint. I think there is a decent chance for us to beyond him without the SR, though, since our healers are so well geared.

I hit friendly with the Akama guys (Ashtongue Deathsworn), so I will check the vendor tonight before ZA to pick up some of the blacksmithing patterns, if they have any. I'm at work now so of course I can't at the moment. :yub:

Also, a suggestion: The longtime T6 guilds (WW and BotB) should have those patterns and a stash of hearts and may be willing to make them for us for a small fee if we have bad luck getting them ourselves. This could be one way to use of some of the cash that the raid has(?) built up from selling SSC patterns.

**EDIT** Yeah... Okuno is INSIDE of BT. This is what I get for trying to check forums from work and talking out my arse without looking stuff up first! I guess I WON'T be going to check on those patterns quite yet. Boooo! ... Yeah, I feel like an idiot. *slinks off*

Edited by Kadi

I know that many people are getting a little bored when not in-raid or are looking to prepare for the future. If you find yourself looking for a goal to accomplish, start preparing for Hyjal/BT by looking at this link:

Shadow Resistance Guide

You are going to need:

1. Mats for the cloak.

2. Mats for the set that best fits what you can wear (cloth, mail, etc.)

Most of these things will be easy to farm... just takes a little time. The Hearts of Darkness will either come from another raid, or we'll get them in time in our own raid.

Start working on the mats now before we get to the bosses we need them on! If you need help, ask, but dont expect your raid leaders to farm them for the whole raid.

Edit: We will be needing the cloaks very soon! START GETTING YOUR MATS FOR THOSE NOW! Healers will get priority followed by tanks/casters/melee. Make our trip through Hyjal easier! GET ON IT!

- Baracko

Edited by Baracko

Since I didn't see a single primal shadow on the AH this morning, and the last time I *did* see them they were selling for above 30g a piece, just a little reminder:

Earth -> Water -> Shadow.

ie Primal Earth (4g) plus 2 days = 1 Primal Shadow.

So find an alchemist and be really, really nice to them... =)

I have plenty of Imbued Netherweave for the clothies gear and the cloaks for the raid. When we get to that point let me know. I would be happy to supply it to whoever needs it

Since I didn't see a single primal shadow on the AH this morning, and the last time I *did* see them they were selling for above 30g a piece, just a little reminder:

Earth -> Water -> Shadow.

ie Primal Earth (4g) plus 2 days = 1 Primal Shadow.

So find an alchemist and be really, really nice to them... =)

Or you can ask a miner... alot of us are actually vendoring primal earths right now since we have too many stacks of them.

Edited by Kailand

From Baracko:

You dont necessarily need to have the full set! 2-3 pieces + cloak plus maybe an old socketed piece with void spheres should be good! We dont want to gimp ourselves too much on dps/healing

Ive been collecting mats for the pieces of SR gear for myself, but if it seems we don't need every piece then I don't mind sharing my extra shadow and life primals. I'll get with Waldy maybe if he doesn't mind to determine just which SR pieces I will need so I know how many void crystals Im actually trying to get.