Priests: Help a newbie to the class out

Huato

Ok, so I rolled a priest again yesterday afternoon.

I realize 1.10 is going to change the talent trees, but in the meantime, what do you recommend for a new priest starting out in the world that will most likely have to do most things solo (can't seem to find groups to do a lot of things at 60, don't hold much hope at the level I am at now other than pugs)?

I would like to spec (as the trees are now) for holy/disc for the spirit buff for end game stuff at 60.

And yes, this is my third attempt at a priest, but for some reason, this one is working out better than the last two did.

My priest is only level 21 or so.

Shadow all the way for soloing. I'm having a rough go at my priest, so I put him on the back burner and started playing with my druid more.

Huato=Healbot

Shaman

Druid

Priest

Yep, healbot!

Dont be knockin the shadow spec =)

Tazzy soloed and Duod most of his career. Lemme say... Shadow Tree is just delicious... so wonderful I am really not wanting to respec to a heal bot :)

Fear, PWS, SWP and Mindblast are your key spells... but dont forget...

Faces will melt.

Cool, thanks for the info.

And no, Huato is not a healbot...he's just good at it. I didn't spec farther into Elemental than resto to always be a heal bot. lol

My druid is feral, and may stay that way. Not sure yet.

The priest...we seem to be lacking there, so I wanted to actually try to get one past level 8 before giving up. I'm almost there after a couple hours of playing him already, and so far, for whatever reason, I like the class this time. Not sure what changed (me).

As far as soloing, I mean solo solo...as in no help other than pugs when I can get that. I haven't been able to roung up much help spur of the moment for much of anything aside from pugs, and that's on any of my characters lately. It won't matter too much soon anyway...my play time is about to decrease a lot for a while. :)

Edited by Huato

erm... I found improved power word: shield ... and improved power word: Fort to be quite hlepful while solo'n....and in that tree is the wand dmg increase talent.. also good for deal'n some dmg whilst not use'n / regening mana. ....

however especialy on solo... the shadow talent that gives 100% increase to spirit after a kill is grrrreat and imp power word pain helps deal sommor dmg , and mind flay is just handy dandy >:L

Edited by Houli

So the general consensus is shadow to level up?

I haven't had a chance to really look at the trees, but how gimp is a priest early on as far as soloing if they spec down holy or disc instead of shadow?

Well, I have a 21 rogue and 26 hunter that would welcome some priestly company >:L

I also know a feral druid and hunter in the teens (friend of mine from work and his girlfriend) that would definitely appreciate the assistance. I'm trying to get them both to apply, but the girlfriend is totally new to WoW, so he wanted to give her some time to adjust to the game before going into a guild, especially since this is her first MMO and he wasn't sure if she'd like it.

I played a priest long enough to figure out that it wasn't for me (got almost to 30), but from my experience as a primarily solo player, it would've been very hard to level if I hadn't gone down the shadow tree pretty heavily. As for which talents to pick, I totally defer that advice to those with more experience than I...shadow was fun, but it just wasn't for me.

Edited by Waldonnis

Cool, that would work out well!

I'd also like to get both my priest and Zu through some of the instances without having the entire experience all over again...ie, get some assistance to speed the process of completing them up since I've been through them all at least twice now at the appropriate level range.

Edited by Huato

Cool, that would work out well!

I'd also like to get both my priest and Zu through some of the instances without having the entire experience all over again...ie, get some assistance to speed the process of completing them up since I've been through them all at least twice now at the appropriate level range.

I smell a druid/rogue stealth run...or was that Uglutz I smelled? So hard to tell these days... >:L

I'd be happy to help out however I can with Hoofie.

Yeah I'm committed to leveling up Jiris for much the same reason, Huato. But Xiris is hard to ignore because she's just so fun. Jiris is 44 now, and it takes very little for someone to persuade me to log from Jiris and get Xiris (damn you Verissi! >:L )

For what it's worth, Jiris is shadow spec'd also for the leveling ability. She's stuck soloing her way up as well, so I feel your pain.

For anyone that needs help with any of the elites and instances that are working their way up to 60 I am willing to help get you through them. I'll dust off Huato and we can go get those taken care of anytime you need to. :yub:

If we require more help we'll grab whomever and whatever classes we need to get everyone where they want to be. >:L

I've been having a hell of a time deciding what to do with 1.10 but Ive been pretty spread out over the three trees on my way to 60. I've got 10 in holy but other than that pretty even between disc and shadow. I would probably have had an easier time soloing if i had invested in shadow a little more, although being spread out has allowed me to be pretty diverse in my play style. in the long haul ya really just gotta figure out what you like. I gotta admit though, shadow is fun...just easier to group if you offer good healin.

You can be Shadow and still give good healin..

Tazz went to MC at 57.

He has been put as main priest on the tank multiple times. He is a known face melter...

but then again, his flash heals are off the charts thanks to +480 healing with Brilliant mana oil >:L

I did shadow spec on my first priest from 1 to 60, and it was cake. I did shadow with Narsica again from 1 to about 45ish, but went holy because we needed good healing for our 5 mans we were doing at the time. Regardless, I'd suggest leveling up using the battlegrounds as well. Usually horde dominates up till level 60, so just hop in there and pwn the place, regardless of your spec.

BTW fear is your friend. >:L

Anxious to mess with them, but not sure. I know alot of priests will go 31 disc/rest holy or remain shadow simply because of the 31 point talent will be loved by any healer or any mage/warlock. I'm going 31 holy/rest disc simply because my point on any raid, be it pvp or not, is to heal. Light well will help me with that, as well as the rest of the talents helping me boost my healing. I'll mess with it if I can ever get on tonight ;)

Very nice on the healing.

I'll have to check out the build you linked when I get home...the security nazi's have the site blocked (I give them a hard time, but they do one heck of a job keeping viruses and attacks out of our network).

I got to play briefly before the server came down last night and basically respec'd Jiris the way she was before yesterday's patch (31 in shadow, 4 in disc, she's still level 44). Ye gods, she's so much more efficient in killing mobs now. Once she gets leveled up enough to tag along on raids, I'll respec to holy/disc.

I like the looks of the Disc tree, but I don't know how effective that is for grinding to 60. Since I get a free respec, I am going to put that 1 point that I have already into Shadow till I get high enoough to be useful for instances and raids. ;)

Sorry I haven't been on or on the boards lately. Work been tieing me up. Benim went all the way from 1-60 as a holy/disc specced priest. WOW is incredibly easy to solo compared to a lot of MMMrogs, so this certainly was not tough. I also agree that shadow speccing will get you there quicker, but I seriousy had no issues and I concentrated on my mana pool and healing powers.

Just my 2 cents!!