Recipe Thread

Maube

Well since we post so many recipes lately... lets keep them to one thread!

Chicken Taco Quiche

Got this from a Simple and Delicious Issue

Ingredients:

* 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches)

* 2 cups cubed cooked chicken

* 2 envelopes taco seasoning, divided

* 2/3 cup salsa

* 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

* 8 eggs

* 2 cups half-and-half cream

* 2 tablespoons butter, melted

* 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies

* 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives

Directions:

Line unpricked pastry shells with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 4 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4 minutes longer.

In a small bowl, combine chicken and one envelope taco seasoning; spoon into pastry shells. Top with salsa and cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, butter and remaining taco seasoning. Stir in chilies and olives. Pour over cheese.

Cover and freeze one quiche for up to 3 months. Cover edges of remaining quiche loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 33-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

To use frozen quiche: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover edges of crust loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 70-75 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 quiches (6 servings each).

You can do sooooo many variations too! We had ours with Sourcream and extra cheese

Tasty Corn Chowder

Ingredients:

1 box of Chicken or Vegetable broth/stock

2 cans of cream of corn

1 large bag of frozen sweet corn (More or less depending on how chunky you like your soup)

one small onion

2 medium potatoes

1 tbsp butter

1 green or red pepper diced(optional)

diced cooked chicken (optional and as much or as little as you want in your soup)

about one small carton of heavy cream (or half and half if you want it to be a little leaner yelwink.gif)

Start by sauteeing the onion in the butter, when the onion is tender and translucent add the broth and the potatoes peeled and cubed

on medium high heat cook the potatoes until they can be easily pierced with a fork

add the rest of the ingredients except the cream and cook about 10 minutes on medium high

Turn down the heat and add the cream.

Dont forget to stir VERY often with the cream in the soup or you might just burn it!

Let the soup come to a soft boil and then bring the heat back down to allow for some thickening while it simmers. Just remember to stir!

Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy with some nice crusty bread =)

Edited by Maube

::smacks Scryll:: This thread is just for recipes not for wise ass comments

Xiris' Pulled Pork Tacos (based on a recipe from Real Simple)

1 32-oz jar of salsa

2 T chili powder

2 T dried oregano leaves

2 T unsweetened cocoa powder

2 1/2 pounds boneless pork butt (I used boneless pork chops, and only about a pound)

2 cans refried beans (NOT the original recipe but what I did tonight)

Throw everything except the beans into the crock pot (doesn't come close to filling a 4-quart pot FYI) and cook on low for about 7 hours (4-5 if you do it on high). Take the pork out and shred it. Add it back to the pot, stir in the beans and serve either on corn tortillas or else with corn chips. YUMMY, and Tainish could actually taste it tonight with his bad cold.

Nawt's famous Tater Chowder: <I don't measure things so ...>

5lbs potatoes any variety. (I prefer the red's and I leave the skins on them. Yellows I do peel)

1 large red or Vadalia Onion.

Celery (I use the whole stalk unless it is very large then probably 3/4.)

Boil the above until the taters are fork tender.

Drain half the liquid.

Add milk and butter. (Generous amount of margarine actually.)

Slowly melt in 1 large block of velveeta cheese. Stir often as it will stick or scorch and yes, use the entire block of cheese. Trust me!

Once the cheese is melted through, add fresh parsley and cook until parsley is no longer raw. Keep stirring

Salt and pepper to taste.

Thicken with instant potato flakes to your desired consistency.

For the men, you can crumble bacon over the top if they feel meat deprived.

Enjoy.

Edited by Maube

Well since we post so many recipes lately... lets keep them to one thread!

2857350718_6a4ebebebb.jpg

MOAR recipes! They sound VERY tasty :p

....plus they help take my mind off the terribad winter we're having. *looks outside and trembles*

Crockpot Beans! - Submitted by Uglutz

Ingredients:

1 lb of Bob Evans bulk sausage (Original)

1 lb of bacon

2 lb can of pork n beans (Busch’s preferred)

16 oz kidney beans

16 oz lima beans

1 cup of Heinz 57 ketchup

1 cup of light brown sugar

1 tablespoon of stadium mustard

Preparation:

Step 1: Brown and crumble sausage in pan, then drain

Step 2: Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and brown, then drain

Step 3: Open kidney and lima cans, then drain

Step 4: Open pork n beans can but do not drain

Step 4: Mix all ingredients in pot

Step 5: Cook on high for at least 4 hrs

Edited by Maube

Spicy Veggie Soup

1 box chicken or veggie broth

1 large can diced tomatoes

1 can Rotel (spiciness up to you)

1 can pinto beans (or whatever kind you like, I prefer pintos and I prefer Goya brand)

1 can corn

2-3 adobo peppers, diced (more makes it spicier duh)

1 medium onion, diced

1 medium potato, diced

diced carrots to taste (I like a lot)

2 stalks diced celery

Throw it all in the crock pot and cook all day on low. Add diced cooked chicken if you like, or put the raw chicken in at the start of your cooking time.

Lately I've been leaving out the Rotel and just using another adobo pepper and we like it just as well

My Not Fancy Chili

1 pound ground turkey, browned and drained

1 large can diced tomatoes

1 large can crushed tomatoes

1 can pinto beans (or whichever bean you prefer)

1 diced onion

1 small can diced chilis (spicy or not as you prefer)

2-3 T chili powder, or to taste

1 t cumin, or to taste

Put it all in the crock pot and simmer all day. I tend to add a lot of Tabasco to my bowl, but I don't put it in the chili--it just tastes better to me this way. You can add jalapenos for more fire, and I'm thinking next time I'll add adobos

Ok, about time The Fat Man contributed something... and just in time for the Super Bowl!

Awesome Guacamole:

3 ripe Haas avacados (the smaller black kind with the pebbly skin, not the giant green ones)

3 limes

3 ripe Roma tomatoes

1 smallish onion

1/2 a jalapeno

3 cloves garlic (or more, depending on taste)

1 bunch cilantro

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1) Juice the limes into a bowl.

2) Get the flesh from the avacados and put them in the bowl with the lime juice. Toss to coat thoroughly. If you had really juicy limes, and depending on taste, you may want to remove a tablespoon or three of juice at this point.

3) Seed the tomatoes. Dice the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Set aside.

4) Halve the jalapeno and seed it carefully. Mince the jalapeno and the garlic finely.

5) Add the cumin, salt, cayenne, jalapeno, and garlic to the avacado bowl. Using a potato masher, smush it all up and blend it together.

6) Fold in the rest of the ingredients.

7) LET IT SIT for one hour or more at room temperature, for all the flavors to meld together.

Helpful tip: Don't try to buy ripe avacados. Ripe ones at the supermarket have been tossed around and bruised up for a while. Just buy them a week early and get the greenest hardest ones you can find. If, after a few days, they don't look like they are going to ripen in time, toss them in a brown paper bag or loosely wrap them in newspaper, together with a banana, an apple, or the tomatoes. Or all three. Wait three days. Poof - instant ripe avacados.

Edited by Eigun

• 3 months later...

Ok, I took this straight out of last month's Esquire. We just made this and it is friggin' awesomesauce.

Peter McAndrew's Best Potato Salad

Here's what you get from an Irish guy who owns an Italian restaurant. Quarter 2 ½ lbs small red bliss potatoes. Season a pot of water with enough salt that it tastes like seawater and bring it to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until fork tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to mixing bowl. Stir in the following: 2 tbsp rinsed capers, ½ cup thinly sliced roasted red peppers, a few cloves chopped garlic, ½ cup balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp red-pepper flakes, and 6 minced oil-packed anchovies. Use these even if you think you hate anchovies. They add a salty backbone, and any fishiness disappears into the dish. Stir and cool to room temperature. Then add 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil and ¼ cup chopped fresh mint, then coarse salt and ground pepper. Taste as you go — seasoning is personal. Sprinkle ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese and a few more torn mint leaves on top. Serve at room temperature. Gets better after a day or two.

Not a recipe, but funny :o) Maubbers you've already read it ;o)

How to bake cookies with your cat:

1. Look in cookbook for cookie recipe.

2. Get cup of coffee.

3. Get cat off of cookbook.

4. Find that special recipe.

5. Get cat's nose out of coffee mug.

6. Go to fridge and get eggs.

7. Get dry ingredients from cupboard.

8. Break eggs in small bowl.

9. Sift dry ingredients in large bowl.

10. Answer the phone.

11. Cat ate eggs; get more from fridge.

12. Get cat out of flour bowl and dust cat off.

13. Get Band-Aids for scratches on hands.

14. Throw flour out and get more.

15. Preheat oven for cookies.

16. Looking at cat & wanting to bake cat now. Cat runs for cover into bathroom.

17. Flour the counter to roll out cookie dough.

18. Big crash in bathroom; run to see what happened.

19. Cat has TP all over floor; stuff spilled and knocked over on top of bathroom counter.

20. Yell at cat. Cat falls in toilet bowl.

21. Can sense cat is angry.

22. Take cat out of toilet to dry cat off.

23. Get bandages to cover more scratches on arms and legs.

24. Cleanup bathroom.

25. Hear a thump in kitchen ... Oh Golly ... now what?

26. Get cat off floured counter in kitchen.

27. Try to pick out cat hairs from flour.

28. Step on cat's tail and get bitten.

29. Get coat, car keys, and go to store to buy cookies!!!

Edited by Kieranna