3 FPS Club

Perthes

Howdy,

I have had some issues lately in 25 man raids , 5 and 10 man instances and / or when I run skype / TS in the background my frame rate drops to 2-9 FPS.. but my most common rate is 3 FPS.

What I have done so far is reinstalled windows, updated windows, updated my motherboard, updated my gfx card, tuning down the hawtness of the game to minimum .. (/cry) and STILL during any grouping my FPS sinks to the bottom and it suxx as this effects my total dps for the group im in..

I have noticed that tho when im not running TS or Skype in the background my fps gets a little better.. but not a whole lot.

I am not home at the moment and I cant recall of the top of my head what my spec on my computer is but when i do get home i can give a quick run down of my system in more detail.

My one thing I have also noticed is my system resources are running mostly at 60-100% when TS / Skype is running in the back ground.

This also makes my computer slow down and make my FPS drop like a ton of bricks..

Its not like im running a P2 200MHz ... I have an avarage computer and it SHOULD perform better then this.. my wife's computer is over a year older then mine and her's is getting 10-20 more FPS then me in groups / raids then me...

Please give me some idea's on what I can try to improve my FPS.

I con sympathize with your frustration, Perthes. I've been having similar problems, much to the chagrin of my group members as Ive complained alot about it.

My theory is that its tied to the new spell effect changes coupled with the fact that the WHOLE RAID has most of them now, vs. just a few. Ive tried shutting off/changing many addons to no avail.

Many of us have also discussed that there could be more network chatter, which I think would include TS... need more input there.

- Baracko

Things I do to improve my system performance in raids to the level of barely tolerable:

Turn off software that runs in the background. This includes my spyware and anti-virus software. That's a risk, but I regularly run scans *including online scanners like Trend Micro's Housecall, to catch things that have blinded my local software* and don't engage in risky browsing. So far, it hasn't bitten me in the ass. Do remember to turn them back on when you're done raiding. There's also plenty of non-critical software that likes to run in the background, doing anything from constantly pinging the central office for updates to engaging in its own rendition of spyware. There's no reason to let that stuff run in the background, turn it all off. I've noticed that Skype's a big resource hog, if you can keep it turned off while playing, you should.

Keep your computer clean of any malware. Quite capable of sucking up resources even when your system says it can't find anything sucking up your resources.

Use your system tools to keep your drives defragmented and in good electronic condition.

Turn off any mods that are not critical to your raiding. They also suck up system resources and you're not making use of them. This frankly includes so-called raid mods like loot-lists, instance maps, etc. They're not important to the fight and hence they can be done without. You might also delete and recreate your WTF folder. That'll clean out old add-ons and other modifications that the client is constantly checking to see if they're there.

You're already playing with video effects at a minimum, are you also playing in windowed mode? I find I can generally eke out another frame or two in non-windowed mode, but since one of the post 2.2 patches, running in non-windowed mode also make TS even worse for me than my voice is for any of you. Completely unusable.

Grrr, I had the same problem and did pretty much all of the above, and it ended up being a box I clicked I THINK that was in the video card options... I cant remember the prompt atm. Though if I heard it I may remember..I know that isnt much help but if I can remember the option itll come to me... maybe wrong but something-sync comes to mind..... had to do this years ago :9

• 2 weeks later...

Well i found out what it was.

**sniff sniff** I smell smoke.. Hmm yes i do smell smoke...

My gfx card was going out on me... damn j00... well on Friday evening my gfx started to be kinda.. odd.. lots of lines going all over the place and bam.. cannot see anything.. just lines up and down and.. well .. /scream ..

Afraid it might be my monitor i tested with Lesedi's monitor.. and that was the same.. yay.. yes it was the gfx card.

So we drove down to the local Bestbuy and bought a Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT.. RAWR.. and a new PSU.. so yeah.. im all set now.. Fixed the problem..

Fun thing is that the day before I had ordered a new gfx card as I knew this was the problem and a new gfx card would fix my low fps problem.

Well it was time for an upgrade anyway hehe. Now.. Lesedi's computer needs an upgrade.. I feel so broke.. :)

So when the gfx card that i ordered comes .. we might upgrade her computer too :laugh: