More Expansion info from the Devs

Ghules

(repost of a repost from our forums)

Interview with Tigole regarding the Wrath of the Lich King expansion

http://videos.curse.com/details/639/

Overview (some info from additional sources all subject to intepretation and change):

DeathKnights playable immediately after launch of the expansion (for players with existing "high level" characters on their account)

DeathKnights will start around level 55-60

Two level 70 dungeons available <both with a level 80 wing and heroic settings> as soon as you hit Northrend. One is centered heavily around the blue dragon flight

Two level 70 starting zones for both horde and alliance (think Hellfire Peninsula x2)

Malygos <leader of the Blue Flight> quick 25 man raid similiar to Onyxia, Gruul, Magtheridon (WTF Lore? Why are we killing off aspects again?)

Along with Zul'aman in patch 2.3 (prior to the expansion) new more powerful items being added to the current heroic badge vendors (might not be a bad idea to stock up after 2.2 but before 2.3)

New Zone in Northrend completely dedicated to PvP with Siege Weapons and destructable buildings of some type (possibly instanced version for BattleGroup PvP)

New Profession: Inscription which will allow players to make changes to their current spells/melee abilities, Longer range, higher damage, possible secondary effects, etc (Expect *HUGE* nerfs once people figure out how to min-max some abilities to uberness, still has a lot of promise though)

Finally (sortakindamaybe) retooling the Paladin Retributiion tree to make it more raid viable again (just in time for everyone to dump it in favor of DeathKnights)

GuildBank with a fully customizable permission list for donations and withdrawals of items, reagents/materials, *and* gold (About F'in time). There will also be a built in logging system for transactions viewable (don't know if it's open view or guild only) through the WoW website somehow

ALT LOVE:

They will be reducing the amount of xp required per level between 20-60, boosting XP from quests, *and* dungeon/mob xp for those levels to help get those alts on par with your mains faster (Sweet Raptor Jeebus)

ALT LOVE: Part Deux:

Dustwallow Marsh is getting new quest hubs/quests to freshen up the grind from 35-45 (No more STV required)

Reduction in the number of old world Elite quests specifically 35-45ish zones (nerfing them to Non-Elite quests) to help with soloability

BONUS: This change is coming in patch 2.3 prior to the expansion

Dev's are discussing lack of hunter viability in 5v5 arena and have mentioned giving Hunters a Mortal Strike-esque Shot (That'll make things interesting to say the least...Still in the discussion stage so don't get your panties in a bunch just yet)

Hunter love in Arena? :/ Wheres the druid love! Course with new abilities and such hopefully we will stat to be represented better.

Wonder how bad the DK explosion will be? Comparable to the BE influx?

Woot, finally hunter love after nerfing traps, flares, AP, and bad itemization.

and with the boost in leveling, I may have to start that paladin I was thinking about.

Hunter love in Arena? :/ Wheres the druid love! Course with new abilities and such hopefully we will stat to be represented better.

Wonder how bad the DK explosion will be? Comparable to the BE influx?

What? Resto Druid + Warlock in 2v2 is unbelievable!

Finally (sortakindamaybe) retooling the Paladin Retributiion tree to make it more raid viable again (just in time for everyone to dump it in favor of DeathKnights)

*Rocky voice from Bullwinkle* Again? That trick NEVER works!

Seriously, though, ret has always needed help and likely always will. One day, Blizzard might wake up and realise that while ret definitely is sub-par when it comes to damage currently, player attitudes hold back paladins more than their adjustments ever will. Much like it was in my days as a paladin before, holy continues to be the "only viable spec" to players, and also the only one with (somewhat) scaling gear available at all levels of raiding. Sadly, if they added items that just screamed "ret paladin", we'd probably see more hunters, warriors, or shaman than paladins end up with them.

ALT LOVE:

They will be reducing the amount of xp required per level between 20-60, boosting XP from quests, *and* dungeon/mob xp for those levels to help get those alts on par with your mains faster (Sweet Raptor Jeebus)

Interesting idea...but I bet those raptors in the Highlands still won't have hearts (nor will the centaurs in Desolace suddenly grow ears) :yahoo:

ALT LOVE: Part Deux:

Dustwallow Marsh is getting new quest hubs/quests to freshen up the grind from 35-45 (No more STV required)

...and in the distance, a million PvP server dwellers cried out...

Dev's are discussing lack of hunter viability in 5v5 arena and have mentioned giving Hunters a Mortal Strike-esque Shot (That'll make things interesting to say the least...Still in the discussion stage so don't get your panties in a bunch just yet)

Just how bad is it in 5v5 anyway? I can see why hunters would have some difficulty, but it just doesn't seem like it should be as bad as the QQ crowd makes it out to be. I agree with you about fixing some of the other elements of the class (and geez, even itemisation fixes alone would be nicer than a MS-like shot), but Arena shouldn't be the motivator for it, in my opinion.

*gasp* yay! I mit be able to level an alt now! :yahoo:

and I'm all for Hunter buffs :p

But I don't see much trouble in the Arena with hunters, A mortal Shot if you would Realy wouldn't as many people say.. *fix hunters* in the arena. Sure it would help, but the only real way to makes Hunters *own* in the arena would be to Take out the LoS in there.. BUT! Hunters would be Deadly if that happend. I sure as Hell wouldn't want to fight 4 BM hunters all poping BW and a holy Pally with No where to hide :p

But for now, with the LoS issues, All I have to say to those Hunters that say its not fair nor Balanced... emm...

Learn to adapt?

just adding my Thoughts :0

Golad!

yay Constant editing!

Edited by Tonac

I'm not convinced that Arena could ever really be balanced...and truthfully, it wouldn't be fun at all if it were. Part of what I enjoy about PvP is overcoming my class weaknesses and exposing those in others. It's frustrating to get slapped down repeatedly by classes that are meant to flat-out own you, but when you win a few battles against them, you can't help but smile. I still get some chuckles thinking about some of the warriors that Waldy has defeated handily (despite them being the rock to my scissors), for instance. Someone pointed out once on the PvP forum that it's because we're imbalanced that it's fun...if everyone were the same in power and ability, PvP would be horrifically boring (and I agree with him on that).

As for line of sight, I can see how that could be a major problem for hunters and mages as well (due to their longer cast-times on higher-damage spells). Personally, I think it would be interesting to have a more wide-open field available, if for no other reason than to shake things up a bit and have some crazy-fast action going on. I think something like that would actually draw me into Arena combat...hiding behind things has never been my strong point :yahoo:

I'm not convinced that Arena could ever really be balanced...and truthfully, it wouldn't be fun at all if it were. Part of what I enjoy about PvP is overcoming my class weaknesses and exposing those in others. It's frustrating to get slapped down repeatedly by classes that are meant to flat-out own you, but when you win a few battles against them, you can't help but smile. I still get some chuckles thinking about some of the warriors that Waldy has defeated handily (despite them being the rock to my scissors), for instance. Someone pointed out once on the PvP forum that it's because we're imbalanced that it's fun...if everyone were the same in power and ability, PvP would be horrifically boring (and I agree with him on that).

As for line of sight, I can see how that could be a major problem for hunters and mages as well (due to their longer cast-times on higher-damage spells). Personally, I think it would be interesting to have a more wide-open field available, if for no other reason than to shake things up a bit and have some crazy-fast action going on. I think something like that would actually draw me into Arena combat...hiding behind things has never been my strong point :0

True that indeed, Its always fun Killing classes that are supposed to rock you, and it also makes me smile,

and on Arena, Your last remark there is tooo True about me.

Hideing behind things is no fun :yahoo:

Oh and just squeezed into the 2.2 patch currently on the PTR

Haste: Haste has been rebalanced. It has returned to the ratios from the launch of Burning Crusade. Melee attacks and spell casts will now benefit at identical rates from haste. This change results in a reduction in the benefit of haste for melee attacks and an increase in the benefit for spellcasters.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/...patchnotes.html

*hugs scarab of the infinite cycle*

Edited by Ghules