Mage and Shaman Changes

Crikrunner

I can understand that, especially from a shadow spec priest.

But the thing that bugs me the most about the Shaman set is that Blizzard now lists us (shaman) as a mage type hybrid, meaning damage right?

Now with this set they are telling us we're healbots.

So what are we? Lesser Paladins in this set? All we are to do is stand there and heal the entire time in Naxxramas? If I wanted that I would have rolled a priest, or would bring my Druid.

I don't mind healing at all with Huato. Just want to be able to deal some damage too since that is what the class is about.

I think people inspect the sets too much and assume they indicate Blizzard's vision of the classes. Mages that look at Arcanist, for example, know that you can easily get more +damage from random blues...and the set bonuses aren't really that great. Even some of the newer sets pale in comparison to AQ20/40 drops that aren't part of a set (Vestments of the Shifting Sands > Arcanist Robe for damage and then some). Every set for druids gives +healing and usually has crappy feral or balance stats, etc.

My personal feeling is that sets are made for certain purposes, but not as the "end all, be all" gear selection for a class. Verissi is +320 damage right now with only two pieces of Arcanist, one piece of Sorcerer's, and the rest are random pieces. If I were decked out in Arcanist, I'd actually lose a significant amount of +damage. Does that indicate that mages aren't supposed to deal that much damage? Nope...just means that I mix up my wardrobe a ton: Arcanist when I need some damage with more mana available, and my assortment for when I want to pump out maximum frosty pain. Likewise, Hoofie's best selection of gear is actually all blues except for the Warden staff...if I picked up Cenarion, I'd actually take a significant armour reduction.

Ultimately, there should be gear out there for every spec but it just may not be your class set. Now, feral druids, balance druids, and a few other specs of classes do have itemisation problems such that they don't really have any great gear out there for them, but it seems to be improving slowly....

Ooooh....with the patch flametongue and frost brand weapon enhancement now get benefits from +spell damage. Gonna make those much more interesting and useful I think.

I went 16 points Elemental: Shocks and Clearcasting, 5 points Enhancement: Mana, and 30 points Restoration (Natures Swiftness, less aggro, armor buffing, more efficient healing, less mana healing, armor buffing, Healing Wave stacking increase...I think that's it.)

Mana Stream + Tranquil Air + Tremor Totem + Innervate = spam healing MT at Onyxia without ever getting aggro. Was sweet.