Healing in the Big Raids

Guilozak

Alright, as I posted elsewhere, I am really excited to help out in the core and killing Ony for the first time this week. That being said, it will also be my first time doing anything serious in a group of more than ten, so, any advice, links, posts that I should be looking at in the next few days would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to look like a complete newb in there. :dancing_smile:

Bubbling is only done in dire circumstances or on a squishy.

Flash Heal is your main heal spell in the big raids.

in MC, you are assigned to a tank... and your job is to keep that tank alive. Trash mobs you can spot heal, but boss fights, you stick to your assigned targets =)

GET CTraid if you dont have it already

You can set up playertarget bars for easy healing on your targets

Edited by Balandar

Hey Guil- a good healing mod never hurts. WOW Interface or such will have some for ya. I don't even know the name of mine, but it uses buttons on team members for varying heal levels.

I would also suggest you just do your best for the first few runs and not worry all that much. You will pick up on the flow. Familiarity with the mobs will come and you will know exactly what you should be doing. Just stay attentive!

I swear by my mana regen gear- I seem to have a good mana pool that regens nicely during boss fights.

Finally, and most importantly, remeber ya heal!! You are not there to do damage-oh the occcasional Pain or such. There has been discussion in the MC runs on this. All I can say is- Priests heal:):rofl:

The most important thing to keep in mind is something most healers often forget. Everyone recognizes the need to keep the tanks healed and the corrollary that the healers need to be healed as well. What most healers often forget, though, is that the rogues are their tertiary priority. Forget the mages, hunters, and melee DPS that's not tanking. Concentrate on the rogues.

This message was produced and paid for by the Azerothian Society for the Advancement of Sneaky Peoples

This message was produced and paid for by the Azerothian Society for the Advancement of Sneaky Peoples

LOL, great stuff, Scryll :rofl:

*grabs all of my hats*

Hello, I'm Hoofstomper, and I'm a tank, so I ignore this message.

Hello, I'm Waldonnis and I'm not sure if I'm included in this message.

Hello, I'm Tobalaya and I approve of this message.

Hello, I'm Verissi and I intend on chain-sheeping Scryll because of this message.

:p

The most important thing to keep in mind is something most healers often forget. Everyone recognizes the need to keep the tanks healed and the corrollary that the healers need to be healed as well. What most healers often forget, though, is that the rogues are their tertiary priority. Forget the mages, hunters, and melee DPS that's not tanking. Concentrate on the rogues.

meh , im normally a tank whos dpsing and i top the meters. I beat people with better gear by 100 K + + , to not be healing me would make me mad and hurt the raid . Remember while your right there are certain classes that take priority over me dps and healing have a direct correlation. who ever is doing most dps will most likely take aggro and the more dps you do the faster the mob dies the less healing you need.

and i disagree with maube about flash heal. Its a key spell but alot of times its unfortunately process of eliminatation for this learning curve. Mc it might be one way but i know for bwl the talent for a faster greater heal is nessecity.

theres one fight where 2 priests just constantly cast greater heal ... whether i need it or not cause spike dmg is too much to gauge. So while you might not have to deal with it just yet ( that type of spikey dmg ) ,dont get in the habit of spamming just 1 skill ... test it out .. if your not a great priest / or druid at first THATS ok .. your one person and that shouldnt make or break the raid. Once through the process of elimination you understand healing more then its a cake walk ... not to mention casting lower rank greater heals with flash heal can be less boring >:L heh.

meh , im normally a tank whos dpsing and i top the meters. I beat people with better gear by 100 K + + , to not be healing me would make me mad and hurt the raid . Remember while your right there are certain classes that take priority over me dps and healing have a direct correlation. who ever is doing most dps will most likely take aggro and the more dps you do the faster the mob dies the less healing you need.

Just for the record, that WAS a joke, Sleyvas. Rogues are at the bottom of the healing pool in just about every encounter, that I'm aware of, and certainly DPSing tanks are just about always above them. If the MT goes down, we can still recover with a DPS tank moving into a tanking position. Plus you guys are just easy to keep alive all around.

• 2 weeks later...

::grins:: very true Sley, but until people learn their mana pool to spell casting ratio, flash heal is a big help.

On my resto druid, I know EXACTLY how much % my regrowth will hit naturally (well as close to the % as you can get with the variables) so that is actually the spell I use the most while in a group setting (ie 20-40 man)

in a 5-10 man you can bet I gauge the Healing Touch. When you are just learning the healing bigraids, it does help to start with Flash Heal and then learn what you mana can and cant do with spell timers.

Just such a delicate process :yub: which is why I cannot run the MC raid when I am playing the Tazz. Healing is my #1 priority and that is what I am focused on.

I am Blonde. I am Polish. I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.

::grins:: very true Sley, but until people learn their mana pool to spell casting ratio, flash heal is a big help.

On my resto druid, I know EXACTLY how much % my regrowth will hit naturally (well as close to the % as you can get with the variables) so that is actually the spell I use the most while in a group setting (ie 20-40 man)

in a 5-10 man you can bet I gauge the Healing Touch. When you are just learning the healing bigraids, it does help to start with Flash Heal and then learn what you mana can and cant do with spell timers.

Just such a delicate process :thumbsup: which is why I cannot run the MC raid when I am playing the Tazz. Healing is my #1 priority and that is what I am focused on.

I am Blonde. I am Polish. I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.

agreed , just was saying :tease:

ps : stop using being blond and polish as a crutch!!!! *grins

Edited by Sleyvas

• 2 weeks later...

In any 5 person+ I ask the main tank what their max health is fully buffed before we start. This way I can guage at which point I should cast which spell and I can guesstimate how much health they are losing in a given scenario. Sure, flash heal is a nice standby, but it eats up mana and does not take full advantage of +heal gear. If I know said tank has 6000 max health, I know that when he is at 60% I can start a greater heal and raise him to 100% (85-90% if he is taking regular consistent damage) and keep him up with far less mana expenditure. That is very important in a prolonged fight. So far in the Core runs I have done, on a boss mob healing a specific tank and throwing heals on mages, other priests, DPSers and other tanks, plus shields... I have never had to drink more than one mana potion during a battle when using Gheal and a step down Gheal. Now when I just spammed Flash Heal, my mana plummets. Now, I think I have a good deal of mana when fully buffed(AB and GotW) of 7599, but making it last is what counts. Know your target and your job and your life and the group's life is much easier. That is why I prefer a dedicated healer to a set tank for a whole raid, just because it breeds awareness and a certain comfort zone.

And as for Scryll, I always set aside some mana for you... whatever a ressurection costs :p

Edited by Fomor

Ok, I need some help.

When I play Huato, I have three healing spells available...light healing wave (1.5 sec), healing wave (3.0 Sec), and chain heal (2.5 second).

When I play Zuato I have the three Druid spells availabe - Rejuvination (instacast HoT), Regrowth (2 sec, heal+HoT), and Healing Touch (big heal, 3 sec).

I don't know if it is the heal over time that throws me on Zuato, but I seem to do better healing with Huato.

Can anyone give any advice on healing with a Druid? I'd like to think I've done a decent job healing with Zuato, but it seems like I have an easier time healing with Huato, and I suspect that is because Shaman have no heal over time spells, and that 1.5 sec heal is pretty easy to spam and gives the priests and druids time to get off a big heal without the tank going down in the middle of the cast.