Ony Phase 3

Alhazad

Great run lsat night guys, here are my observations..

I think we have Phase 1 and 2 down pat, it's just a matter of refining tactics a bit there. By our third run last night we were able to space out appropriately and put on enough DPS to avoid Deep Breath entirely! Rawr :)

Going into Phase 3 requires as clean a threat table on Onyxia as possible. Two things should happen before she enters Phase 3:

> Damage Over Time spells need to stop and 'run out' before Phase 3 initiates. In the last few percent of Phase 2, damage should be direct and not DOT-based. The Department of Transportation does not approve of this message.

> Wipe Your Aggro - Basically, if you're a class with an aggro-reducer, use it. Fade. Vanish. Feign Death. Do what you can to get off Onyxia's threat table, or at least lower your place on it, and do not attack again until DPS is called on in Phase 3.

With that done, the tank, if in position, should be able to pick her up. Last night, I was allllll prepared to use my great Glimmering Mithril Insignia and be immune to fear going into Phase 3... well, I used it, but used it a SECOND too late. I believe I have the timing down now, and using the Insignia will give me 30 seconds of immunity to fear. Sadly, it does not -break- fear (or didn't seem to last night), so it must be used prior to her first Phase 3 fear.

That done, I should be fear-free and have a few seconds to put myself high on her aggro table, draw her back, and return to Phase 1 positioning. DPS should be off.

Good stuff... :)

=) Awesome, yeah that was a problem... most people were NOT ready for the massive consistant fears.

Unfortunatly I couldnt Iceblock to get off her Aggro list when she went down (already used the block to survive her one DB =) ) but She didnt kill me outright... her breath toasted me good :)

Great job tanking the big puppy there Al :) and good job to everyone =D

Aye, we did an awesome job on that last go last night!

Next week I want to have three tanks out in the middle when she comes down to try and grab aggro..I'd prefer that it be Alhazad that gains aggro, but I think that would help pull her north and give the tank(s) time to generate some aggro from her.

She is going down next week for sure. :)

Just wanted to drop this nice strat here for everyone to pass around.

http://pacifistguild.org/onyxia/

I like the idea of a hunter calling out her position in voice. 12:00, 1:00 etc etc. So if we hear deep breath coming we know where to go.

If she fire breaths a bunched up side while the MT doesn't have agro the run is over.

This is what really got us last night. I know its hard but all DPS has to lay off for a while until one of the tanks has solid aggro. I saw her turn to the west and blast everyone on my side of the wall with her breath. She did this a few times, and each time I watched 2 or 3 more people on my side drop. If you see her turning lay off, if youre the one with aggro run your ass and turn her away from the sides. I think we kicked ass last night, and if we get most of the same people next week, shes ours for sure.

Edited by Chrysalia

Hey everyone! Yeah, Ony can be a pain in phase 3, don't really have any advice but just wanted to say that more than likely you're going to have an extra cow on board. *Grin evilly* I'll just pretend she's a really big sheep. Muwhahahaha

The only thing that would keep me from going is they're still trying to figure out what night our MC round 1 night will be. Right now it's up between wednesday and thursday. If I don't hear anyting by Monday I'm signing on to smack a dragon ######.

Good point, Chrysalia. If you have CTRA, you'll be able to see the Main Tank's Target's Target. Basically, if I or another tank have Onyxia targeted, it will also display who SHE is targeting. If you happen to pop up there, she's targetting you and you should move north toward the MT.

Having 3 tanks up there is worth a try. The trick is breaking her initial fear and then laying on enough aggro to keep her. Last run, she had so much aggro on other people that my slathering of sunders, taunts, shield-slams did absolutely nothing until her targets started dying. Then she popped back to me, and we got her down to .. 14%? It was a good number :)

Whichever tank gets her in Phase 3, tremor totems DO help with the fears. The cavern will start to rumble as she is warming up a fear, so you can preemptively hit Zerker Rage, but there are no set intervals to her fears. A high fire resist is also helpful as she will flame-breath you, and there is also fire that comes up from the floor.

Silly as the "FIFTY DKP MINUS!" audio clip is, the crazy guy on there has a lot of the strats down. "DPS really slowly in Phase 1" ... "Phase 2, DoTs until 40%, okay stop DoTs." ... and, of course, "Positioning is important... spread out in phase 2, and stay away from the whelp caves" :dancing_smile:

Edited by Alhazad