Interesting lil tid bit from the news..

katakorinthia

NPD Group: PC Game Sales Slide in 2005

Email this Story

Jan 17, 5:48 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Nearly 1 million copies of the top-seller "World of Warcraft" PC game in 2005 still wasn't enough to swing domestic retail sales of computer games from its slide to below $1 billion, a research firm said Tuesday.

As online gaming picked up in popularity, annual U.S. retail sales of PC game software sank 14 percent to $953 million last year, down from $1.1 billion in 2004, according to data by the NPD Group.

Overall volume totaled 38 million units, a 19 percent decline from 47 million units the year before, NPD said.

The research group attributed the dwindling volume - which reflects only games sold on CD-ROMs - to increased game play through Web sites and subscriptions to massively multiplayer online, or MMO, games.

"While we have seen retail sales of PC games decrease for several years now, we know from talking to consumers about their online gaming behaviors that playing games on the PC, whether it's via online casual sites or through MMO subscription play, has been increasing," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

Following Vivendi Universal's top-selling "World of Warcraft" title, with more than 957,000 units sold last year, were Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS)'s "The Sims 2: University Expansion Pack," with 574,000 units, and "The Sims 2," with 559,000 units

Not bad almost a million copies listed.. =) cant go wrong there an I 100% agree, the problem is that the market is flooded with mmo's an very few high quality single/multi-player(non-mmo's) are coming out.. The last few years have been pretty bleak for the non-online gamer.. =)

I know that WoW and UT 2004 were the last two computer based games I have purchased. The reason I haven't bought more is WoW...I'd rather play it than anything else at the moment, so I can see where the MMO's are cannibalizing other game sales. lol

For my gaming dollar, I have become much more selective, and bargain orientated. For example, i love the Civ title, but I will wait until next year when I can pick up Civ IV platinum withh all the expansions and such for $20.00. I wound up paying $80.00 for civ 3 the original game for $40, adn the two expansions for $20.00 apiece. And that to me is too much for the complete title.

Other game purchases over the past year, Dawn of War (and the expansion) a phenomenal title, and well worth the price. EQ2, picked up and dropped fairly quickly.

Beyond that you're looking at console titles, ps1 ps2 and gamecube. And not very many of those either. I'm just not seeing much new and innovative being released right now, so there's no reason to pick up new titles.

heck I wouldn't be WoWing if it weren't for Nazragon (missing slacker punk!)

I will only add that if there is ANY game you are interested in getting....let me know and I will look to get you a link to get it through the website connections we have.

website will gain commissions toward the game awards we run and such....all helps and will be the means for us to move up in what prizes we can give out to members too...

The research group attributed the dwindling volume - which reflects only games sold on CD-ROMs - to increased game play through Web sites and subscriptions to massively multiplayer online, or MMO, games.

WOW!!! this is a stupid research!!!

MMORPGs are, and have been in the last few years a considerable force! They should have made a research considering the fact that if you buy a game with online subscripion fees, those fees should be considered as purchasing the game over and over again every month...

One purchase of 30$ MMORPG game, with a yearly subscription amounts to 150$ per year, for ONE game!

ONLY considering 1 million WoW, at a yearly cost of 150$ each, amounts to 150 million! (and I know not all stay but this is only one game!) I presume by this that they 'neglected' more than half the sums and 'attributed the dwindling volume' to 'increased game play through Web sites and subscriptions'

HA!

What next? hamburger consumption without McDonalds? World trade without the US? shaving with no Gillette? Bicycling without Shimano? (last two hold approx 90% of their markets)

Edited by icuburn