Shaman Builds

Huato

Ok, I've respecced one time to reclaim a point in enhancement that I had spent that I didn't mean to do...

My question is now that I've been 60 for a while, and finally realizing that I am NOT a warrior afterall :) , is going a split elemental/enhancement build better? I currently have 35 in enhancement with 16 in elemental. Lately in raids and so forth I've found myself using more of my elemental stuff, and I've noticed a tendency to choose gear with more intelligence and spirit than stamina, which is a major change from my play style just a few weeks ago.

I intend to keep my two hander, but would I benefit groups more by respeccing to say a 30 enhance/21 elemental instead of my 35 enhance/16 elemental build I am currently using?

I've never had a build with anything in restoration for my Shaman, and I'm not sure if I should look down that path or not. I know healing is always good for grouping, but I've always been more of a melee type, and lately have been casting much more.

Basically I think I am not playing my Shaman to what he is really meant to be...I've turned him into a warrior with some elemental shocks to help out. What do the other Shamans that read this think? Opinions are definitely welcome.

For referrence, here is the build I am currently using:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...000000000000000

People i know that you may want to talk to are: Crikrunner (done all sorts of builds), Muru(think he focused on the enhancement build mostly), and Kalea (think she went 35 restor at one time, always been the healing sort)

That's part of why I posted here - hoping some of our other Shaman would post their thoughts.

I've sat and played with an Enhancement (34) and Resto (17) build, and came up with this build that appeals to me and I may try out:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...050050014020000

And here's what I was thinking for an Elemental(22)/Enhance(29) build:

Edited by Huato

That's part of why I posted here - hoping some of our other Shaman would post their thoughts.

I've sat and played with an Enhancement (34) and Resto (17) build, and came up with this build that appeals to me and I may try out:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...050050014020000

And here's what I was thinking for an Elemental(22)/Enhance(29) build:

I had been concentrating in enhancement, but I've been adding talents to the restoration pool and have found that it's given me some nice bonuses, particularly from the improved lesser healing wave (I've never been able to do pure melee, someone always needs a heal). Your enhance/restore build you have listed here is pretty similar to what I have. I've never done a rebuild though. I might try elemental one day since I used those talents during group pvp more than I did my regular melee style.

Heeeheh- Muru here!!

I went to 21 restore fer Nature Swiftness only! That is the only reason I went down that tree. I love it for PVP- nutin' better than having that Instant heal when ya at end of life- really throws alliance scum off-sometimes:)And, Muru loved PvP!

I also know that unless ya go all the way down restore ,at higher levels, yer healing will be squat, that is why I have a Priest, Benim, now.

Huato, I found myself more and more using elemental tree elements during Muru's last days-hehe-I was int and spirit focused. The shaman builds can be so different, I would just say respec and try it- I know it costs gold, but ya can never tell what ya may like. Check out some builds in the forums and try em.

Muru would keep wondering if another build was good- he never really knew if it suited his play style till he tried it:)

Edited by muru

Thanks for the input Raeda and Muru...I'm thinking more Enhancement and Restoration now that I've looked closer at the trees. May try that tonight and see how I like it over the course of the next few days, plus I will be able to heal myself and party members better I think.

Here's another enhancement/resto build I was thinking:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...050050015050100

The only thing I see with Elemental is you have to spend a lot to get the most out of that tree, and I may go that route yet. Right now I'm trying to find what works best for me in a group environment now that I'm doing more instances and grouping than I've ever done before.

I don't see an elemental/resto build working too well since you'd end up being pure casting, and I don't think our mana pools are able to handle both very well.

Well depends on what you want, in my opinion there are 2 specs pvp and pve

PvP i'd recommend 30 elemental 21 restoration give you high fast dps out put with natures swiftness for instant heal/chain lightning every 3 mins

or 21 elemental 21 restoration 9 enhance

PvE 30 enhance 21 restoration give best damage over time with an instant heal

or 21 enhance for parry, 21 restoration for ns and 9 elemental for slighty better shocks

having tried all the 31 point talents none are really worth it the key abilities are the 21 point ones, and natures swiftness is the most versatile and important imho

Double crit spell dmg > parry/flurry for pvp and viceversa for pve

Hope this helps

---Crikrunner

Ooopsies, for the 3 talents specs 22 is the key number for elemental for clear cast and elemental fury sorry so 22,21,8 also you can use natures swiftness for an instant cast wolf form to run away so dont need improved ghost wolf when using a ns build.

31 abilities Crik's analysis

31 elemental 5 minute timer is an eternity but lets you cast a 1200 dmg earth shock every 5mins, this is great for palladin killing as if you time it right they may wait too long to cast their shields, also vs casters this ensures a win 1 on 1 but since pvp is many on many its only marginally useful

31 enhance, the extra swing in only worth the mana if you have an uber 2h weapon, one over say 60 dps (pvp reward or mc/bwl one) the extra dmg is very nice burst dps for pvp, but hardly worth it pve and mana expensive reguardless, but could make for a devasting opening with a great 2h'r

31 restoration is a joke unless your running mc/bwl, these very very long fights allows you to be a mana battery for the poor healers keeping the tanks up, other wise i feel its a waste of points

Hmm. I need to keep enhancement down to 2 hand axe/mace...I have a point wrapped up in that, and significant time and money wrapped in making a Hammer of the Titans. :)

I don't want to give that up just yet.

I'm really torn at the moment. Elemental + enhance for PVP/PVE or Enhancement + Restoration for PVP/PVE survivability, wihtout as much burst damage, and to outlast other classes...I'm finding this a hard decision to make, but I know 35 in Enhancement just seems to be lacking for me, and seeing some of my shocks crit for 800 to 1000+ vs. my melee damage really makes me want to lean that direction lately.

The flip side is self healing and staying alive longer in the battlegrounds and out in the world. *sigh*

One thing to remember - because Blizzard  sux, if you respec you have to retrain 2handers from 1 to 300 again.

FYI

Yep, I know I have to regrind my 2h hammer skill back up again. *sigh*

I really wish Blizz would do away with that and let us train it at the weapon trainers.

Uki, me retrained ta more elemental an enhancement, an so fer me likin' it. :)

I may respec further yet in the near future though...still thinking of the healing, and/or possibly going further into the elemental tree...the extra damage on the shocks is rather nice. :)

Guest Guest_Sleyvas_*

hello all ,

i was just reading abit of this post and while i did not read everyones contributions i just wanted to add my opinion :).

enchantment is nice for dps , its flexible going knee deep into the tree you can do alot with it , mixed with 21 in resto for natures swiftness its a strong build.

this tends to be a melee strong build while you can kill casters you will shine against rogues/ warriors :) .

as for resto spec , if you plan to go to MC alot in the future , resto imo is the best way to go .

you dont melee too much in mc well you can but your heals are very much needs especially since we dont have those noob pallys on our side.

mana tide is amazing for casters , both dmg dealers and healers.

( imp mana tide ftw ! )

i know a few people that pvp alot but made this switch to heal their mc raids.

your burst dmg might lack abit , but 95 % of the time allaince will target a priest / druid yes even a lock , over a shaman- theres been many times ive ran with some of the better pvp groups and had a shaman dump his whole mana bar on me while i killed literally about 9 people - THEY STILL DIDNT GET THE HINT ! .

healing is crucial in pve and can make you win a AB game , could be the difference of you healing a warrior to protect a flag or you healing a group while you rape the stables either or you will be a benefit to any group .

there is dps all over warriors top meters, rogues have amazing single target dmg , mages can aoe , locks are brutal , 95 % of shamans are enhancement and ruin people , hunters do amazing dmg , only druids , shamans and priests can heal and lately majority of priest are shadow ( can still heal well ) and alot of feral druids lately.

a resto shaman is an amazing healer and on many occasions ive seen resto shamans heal a tank against a mc mob and where the shaman was the only one responsible for keeping the tank up-

if anyone , anywhere ever tells you shamans suck at healing say this

if they are a shaman : try resto for more then 1 week and uninstall dmg meters , heal when its needed.

if they arent a shaman: green eyes of envy can destroy you ! then /ignore .. lol no no jk , but really i do dm tribute runs with a shaman as main healer - his gear is good but only like 2 pieces from mc , we do 35 minute tribute runs and in MC hes one of our best healers.

so what all this is saying , look into resto great specfor both pvp and pve , plus look at it this way , you will be different then any other of the 384795478947 shamans we have on this server

Thank you for the input!

I had been considering going mana tide for the casters and myself to be honest...I tried out more in elemental with some in enhancement last night, and it's just...ok. I remember one AB match (months ago) I healed a warrior and he was surprised because no one else had bothered to heal him before then. He even whispered his thanks...and I had no points in restoration then.

The other thing is staying alive longer in PVE when I am soloing...I carry a Hammer of the Titans, and while there are better weapons available, it hits pretty darned hard. I may respec later this week to restoration once I get the gold to do so. My next respec is 10 gold (yes, I am that poor at the moment. lol)

Does anyone know if the Enamored Water Spirit is on the same cooldown timer as mana tide?

Well, I decided to go the restoration route last night and so far I like it the best...I have much better survivability and I found out that the Enamored Water Spirit is on a separate time from Mana Tide, so I am now a rechargable mana battery too. I gave up some in Enhancement, but so far I am not missing it being able to heal and recharge mana so quickly.

Here's what I chose:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...005005505055101