Books

Nokk

Here's a list of some of the books I've read recently and liked enough to recommend to other people:

Dante's Inferno (a good old "topography of hell" novel)

Game of Thrones (the first in a great series by George R. R. Martin)

Catcher In The Rye (really easy to read in 6 hours)

the Sandman comics (Neil Gaiman is God)

the Hellboy comics (no really, Hellboy is good stuff)

Heir to the Empire (the first of the best Star Wars trilogy out there)

Fight Club (better than the movie?!?!?!)

Okay, that ought to be enough for now... yes, I read a little... have fun!

:yub:>:L>:L

i forgot to list some of the books ive read lately:

>:L 1984- George Orwells visions of a negitive utopiea

The Prince- The handbook to ruleing the world >:L

The Other- The only book that scared the hell out of me :yub:

The Hobbit- prelude to the LOTR >:L

LOTR books- Only the greatest fantasy epic of our time >:L

I would suggest reading Tolkien's The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2. I love The Silmarillion even more than the Trilogy because it tells of the history of Middle-Earth and since I am an Ancient Studies major, it suits my tastes more :yub: I also have one called The Shaping of Middle-Earth, but haven't read it yet.

Edited by Altarial Palantiri

Assuming you want fantasy books....

The Song of Ice & Fire series by George RR Martin (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords): Pick them up, you won't be disappointed.

Royal Assassin Series (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest) by Robin Hobb: Good, solid reading, first person perspective, though the assassin gets a bit whiny here and there.

Darksword Trilogy by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman: Their best series, IMO.

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett: Not really fantasy, but a good book.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King (Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three, The Wasteland, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah): Good series, fantasy orientated in a sort of modern-westernish-scifi setting. Interesting read tho. Last one was a bit lame, but you can't win them all.

Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King: Touches on the Tower, but pure fantasy. V. good read, one of King's best books, even though it's sorta meant for younger readers.

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind: AVOID the rest of this series. Seriously. First one wasn't bad though, but avoid the others like the plague. I should have torn out my eyes after reading the second one. First one was good enough to suck me into his "I Wanna Be Robert Jordan" world. Blech.

First six books of "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan (Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, Fire of Heaven, The Lord of Chaos): First six are pretty good, not earth-shattering great but not bad for fantasy. Last 4 in this series (not mentioned) are just...getting slower and slower.

The Deverry series by Katharine Kerr (Daggerspell, Darkspell...oh, good god, too many to mention here): VERY excellent series of books, I highly recommend all of them. Grounded in celtic myth and just good overall.

Hyperion series by Dan Simmons (Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, Rise of Endymion): Very good hardcore sci-fi books. If you like sci-fi, you'll like these.

Authors of note (that usually write good stuff): Robert Asprin, Stephen King, Robert McCammon, early Dean Koontz, George RR Martin, Roger Zelazny (esp. Amber series, Nine Princes in Amber being the first one), Piers Anthony (if you like light, fluffy fantasy, but his Incarnations of Immortality is really good, as well as Bio of a Space Tyrant), Kathleen Taylor (if you light "light" mysteries...funny as hell writer sets her stories in a fictional town in South Dakota, and her mysteries are really good. First one is Funeral Food, I believe)

I read 100-200 books a year, all almost exclusively sci-fi, fantasy, and horror, with some historical fiction (if it's good) and non-fiction thrown in for flavor.

BTW, congrats for making it through LOTRings. I hated those books, and still do. Tolkien was NOT a good writer...if you want a good writer from that time, read CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia (yes, children's books. Shaddup, they're good) and The Screwtape Letters. I freakin' hate Tolkien. I barely managed to get through Fellowship, and just quit in the middle of the Two Towers because his writing was driving me nuts.

Edited by Soke

• 2 weeks later...

Ok got to add my 2 cents.

Robert Jorden's Wheel of time. Good stuff, hes just a little slow right now with the new book. He felt that for some reason the prequil to the series was more important then the rest of the story so far. :)

Gorge RR Martin's A song of Fire and Ice. This one is great! But once again very very slow for the next book. :devil:

Robert Jorden's Wheel of time. Good stuff, hes just a little slow right now with the new book. He felt that for some reason the prequil to the series was more important then the rest of the story so far. :devil:

Yeah, that irked me too, Vex. Grr.

Nobody has listed the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. A solid writer

Also pretty much anything written by David Eddings (a little drawn out but good read)

Like Bal, I'm a fan of R.A. Salvatore. Enjoy his writing style. Captures a battle sequence probably better than anyone.

His next Drizzt book is out sometime on October I believe... so that will give me a few months if I want to re-read all some 17 of them. Not sure if I have the time with setting up the new site though. :devil: