Pending Draft Legislation Targeted for Spring 2005

Balandar

This was sent to me from an old UO gamer.

From http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues...=ua_congressorg.

Pending Draft Legislation Targeted for Spring 2005

The Draft will Start in June 2005

There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately.

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the sss annual performance plan - fiscal year 2004.

The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and HR 163 forward this year, http://www.hslda.org/legislation/na...s89/default.asp entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the committee on armed services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era.

College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

Even those voters who currently support US actions abroad may still object to this move, knowing their own children or grandchildren will not have a say about whether to fight. Not that it should make a difference, but this plan, among other things, eliminates higher education as a

shelter and includes women in the draft.

The public has a right to air their opinions about such an important decision.

Please send this on to all the friends, parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents, and cousins that you know. Let your children know too -- it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change!

Please also contact your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and contact newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.

Today I was called at 5am and asked to go to one of our locations on the other side of the state to work. I found out that the manager was called up to report for active duty, despite the fact that he has been out of the military for 6 years, and had completed his 4 years of reserve. Another manager received his letter of possible activation after being discharged since 1992.

I am not against the draft, especially in the time we currently live in. I do mind the secret behind the door crap. If it is necessary to serve, just say so....don't try to hide it from the public.

Well im with you there Tok, but i also disagree if they have been discharged i do not think that they should just have the right to recall them back, they should be given a choice in the matter at this point.. But i am grateful my son is only 6 and i do not need worry on that issue..

I hope neither of them men have familes that they may need to leave behind

I don't mind the draft either and I agree that the secretive stuff has to go. I've seen this happening since the start of the war in Iraq. I have several friends who have already done their years time there and they are now being told that towards the end of the year they will probably be called back up. That goes to show they might hand over some power but the forces will still be there.

I believe serving would improve many views and outlooks on themselves and others.....too many dont even realize what our parents sacrificed for us to live as we do. In a way serving the country is tough love both ways...... always strengthens the individual and country.....and can open the eyes of all to what really is outside our doors.......good and bad.

There will always be bad.....but there is always more good to be done.

*feels crackle of old programming*

Resistence is futile....we seek to improve ourselves....we will add your distinctivness to the collective....

*snap*

Ahh so long ago and so soon to be again.

Be safe everyone.......strength and HONOR!!!

My father server along with my grandfather as well, and while they both did it for themselfs i guess im of a mind that i know its right, Just do not do it behind our backs, you want a draft then make that public knowledge..

Just like i know, if you could you'd be signed up and headed off to where ever they could send you, for that i admire you a lot , as a mother id hate to see my son go, but know that if its what he truly wished id have to let him go although it would pain me greatly

service = good

keeping something like this quiet = bad

One person who heeds the call of duty on their own ??? can be as effective as 10 who are drafted.

:rolleyes:????????????????????????