Warning

*Steel sits down quickly behind his desk and with shaking hand gathers his quill, scroll, and ink to him*

Today Guardians I recieved a most unusualy delivered message of warning.

Degahr il'tess dosst fuma, plynn notice d' nindyn dos xal lle'warin.

L' sariyan darken lu' form phor dosst qu'ellar, uss orn ulnin tlu missing

Uk zhah usst belbau ulu l' orbb valsharess nin

Ukt ul'nussten d'lil jiv'elgg lu' jiv'undus ph' linathen ulu udossta haren...siyo..uk orn kla'ath l' valsharess al

Roughly translated from the dark tongue this message reads.

Trouble awaits your family, seize notice of those you may miss.

The clouds darken and form above your house, one will soon be missing.

He is mine give to the spider queen now.

His cries of the tortue and pain are songs to our ears...yes..he will serve the queen well

*Steel once finished softly rubs his hand and squints his eyes in pain. Beside him lies an empty potion vessel, slight bits of orange liquid pooling at the bottom. Softly he begins wrapping his hand in cloth, sealing the wound from the swift poisoned arrow bearing the message.*

Edited by Steel DarKnight

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in big trouble!! Need help bad!! Been taken by some woman in red and a man in a hat......... WAIT NO AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Leaves on trees, dark, cant understand what there saying, send help!!!!!!!!

Darkness..... Darkness..... Screaming pain......Scratching noises all about, sounds as if they are moving thousands of feet at once..... Friends my capturers are away meeting there queen Lloth, I am hoping you recieve this. These creatures speak of horrible pain coming to our ranks. There is a Woman Dressed in all red that speaks in foul riddles, she harms me much...... They are coming back, I must leave, please hurry!!!!! I don't know how much longer I can hold up!! Strength and HONOR!

Logan arrived at Olympus shortly after the guardians had returned from the encounter with the Drow. Steel was able to tell Logan all the information they had recieved, just before the pioson became to much. Steel's knees buckled as he began to fall to the ground, Logan grabbed him and with the help of a few swift moving guardians got him inside. He sent Tasselhoff after a healer, it only took a few minutes but what seemed as hours passed. The healer moved in bandaging and applying sauve.

"My medicine will only slow this, and im not sure how long" proclaimed the healer.

Logan sent word that Rico must be found, for all shadowriders and espionage units the scower fel. All but one.

"Kaatya, you must travel to the elven glade, seek out thier druids, find Steel a cure"

Edited by Lord Logan

*As Kodoz arrives at Olympus, he removes his helmet and shakes loose his hair, drenched in sweat. Fine droplets spray around him. His armor like always is battle scarred, but he is still proud of it. He goes to see Steel, and sees just how bad it is.* "I vow to find you a cure and to hunt down those responsible. Since Kaatya is already going to the Elves, I will journey to Gargoyle city, and ask their high priests if they have any ancient cures. ". *Kodoz closes his eyes, dons his helmet once more, and exits to find a cure and avenge his friend.*

Triston Lioness was not in the best of moods.

One friend missing, another poisoned, and now this...

Looking over a small hillock as slowly and quietly as he could, he saw the ogre guards standing watch over the mouth of the cave. One of the many, many caves that was said to house drow durring the day. One of the several caves he had visited this day alone. The ogres ambled about lazily, lax in their guard duty after having gone hours without seeing one of their masters, and where clattering on in their gutteral tounge.

Quick as a shade of death Triston lept the hillock, placing two paper thin lines in the vocal cords of the beasts, and watched them fall to the ground with nothing more then a gugled moan and a thump.

"Well, that was easy..." Triston muttered under his breath.

"Not so easy as it seemed." A calm voice said behind him, speaking heavily accented common. An underdark accent. Triston bairly lept in time to avoid the shower of sparks created by the energy bolt that had struck the wall next to where he was standing only moments before.

Triston Lioness was not in the best of moods...

As he approached Olympus on a mundane errand, something in him urged him that there was aught amiss. The air fairly crackled with a feeling of dread. He rushed into the mighty doors of the castle, trusting in its sanctity. No sooner had he stepped in than he knew his mistake. A trap spell, finely attuned to his aura was set on the castle. His spells, his magical items, his power over the beast, stripped from him instantly. He ran into the central chamber and is surrounded by a swirling mist, and out of this mist emerge the jointed sections of thousands of legs. Jumping at the last opportunity for flight he dashed for the only open direction, toward the ankh and the banners of the Empire, and with his small dabbling in the arts of concealment, was able to hide away from the horde that was emerging.

spidersInvade1.jpg

spidersInvade2.jpg

After what seemed days of standing and waiting, finally help arrived, he took a chance... He sprang from his hiding place and dashed for the stairs in order to warn his friends. The instant he showed movement, the horde was upon him, every mandible grasping, every sharp fang piercing. He fell to the ground and was covered by their crushing weight. Just as it seemed all hope had faded, whirling blades slivered the bodies on top of him, decimating them to mere confetti. He was saved. His friends did not escape without casualties though, many were injured. Including his dearest friend Leah. How could he let them down like this? How could his powers of persuasion over the beasts have failed him? After assuring that his friends were in fact still living, he quickly departed for his private chambers...unable to face them with his shame.

Edited by Shaun

No sooner had the words left Lord Logan's mouth than Kaatya was astride her mount. With a parting look of concern toward the ailing Steel, she set her path north toward Vesper, calling back over her shoulder "It shall be done, sire!"

She eschewed the wooded areas in favor of the speed afforded by the well-worn roads. Stopping only momentarily at the Britain stables for a fresh mount, she continued with all dispatch toward the peaceful area which was home to a band of wood elves including Rin'Seorsa, the mother of Alasse Re'Uth. Many times had Kaatya been welcomed here even though her heritage was only half-elven.

Rin instantly sensed that things were amiss. After hearing Kaatya's report, she asked only one question. "Has his speech also been affected?" The Guardian promptly responded with "Yes, he is slurring his words."

Rin rushed from Infirmary, her home, and returned minutes later with a druid of great healing talent and knowledge. "It is as I feared, Kaatya. If an antidote is not applied soon, the toxin will not bring death but will take his sight, speech, and eventually render him motionless!"

"We have scribed this scroll with the resources that must be gathered and the manner in which they must be combined. Time is of the essence, Kaatya! Do not let the sun set upon your ailing Guardian lest it be the last he ever sees."

The moon shone down softly upon the road as Kaatya set out for Olympus, the scroll tucked safely inside her tunic. She donned her hooded shroud and kept to the forest shadows. Ever mindful of the increased drow pestilence, she hastily forged ahead, beseeching Mars' guidance.

Within a few hours, the scroll was placed before the Emperor.

The toxin is strengthened when metal is present.

Remove all armor and weapons from the afflicted.

Gather IN THIS ORDER:

a pinch of Bloodspawn;

twenty zoogi fungus carried only by the red solen queens;

eight pieces of fresh fertile dirt;

four healthy leaves from the Novitus yew tree;

twelve bones of the undead.

Use the bone of a daemon to grind these ingredients together upon two different scales of the dragon. Keep these ground resources in a leather bag. Do not let forged metal contaminate them.

Fill this medicine bottle with water from the Ilshenar pixie pond, being sure to harm no creature nor being. Dip these dried onions four times into the water and heat it with the breath of a dragon.

Pour into the bottle the ingredients from the leather bag. Swirl, do not shake, the bottle.

Swathe the wound with bandages spun from virgin wool. Soak the bandages with the bottle's contents. Be certain that the healer wears no metal. The afflicted must remain immobile and mute until the antidote has been completely absorbed and the bandages are dry.

Edited by Kaatya

Wind blows back his cloak as Tass rides his trusted Unicorn with all its power. Runing in to Olympus he finds Lord Logan, "Sir I have found what the ingredient Bloodspawn is Sir." "There is some at the Magical Light in Vesper, but I am afraid is had been contaminated, it is in a case made held together with metal nails sir." I will find out information as to were we can get more.

Tass walks around vesper hoping for some leads as to were he might find this rare speciment. Wile talking to an elder woman she starts to tell of a story from long ago........an hour goes by and shock can bee seen on Tass face, his raised eyebraw say it all, how could we have been fooled. He slowly starts to put it all together. Riding as fast as he can he gets back to Olympus. Runs in screaming "Sire, SIre" looks around and notices a few people gathered around in prayer. Excusing himself he walks past them and finds Lord Logan. "Sir" he looks over his shoulder as if some one might hear his thoghts. "I know this is going to sound strange and you might think I am crazy but," Tass looks around and there was not a sound to be hear from anywere. "I think that our Lord was the target all along, time was needed for the poison to take affect." Thinks back as to how long it took for the simptoms to show. "You see they were not after Rico but after Steel all along sir." "I know this is complicated but time is runing out." Looks in his notes from earlier, "I talked to an old lady today Sir and I know were we can get Bloodspawn." Unfolding the map over a table he points to a location deep in a dungeon. "Sir this is were that old lady said we can find the hermit who holds the secrets to Bloodspawn."

Her name is Athena, named after the Gods. She was a great mage at one time, but now she roams the deepest, darkest and most dangerous dungeons of our world. "I will send word out Sire, to see who will accompany me this afternoon." "We will get this speciment and give to Lady Kaatya so she can make the potion." Lord Logan looks at Tass, "I know that you will do what must be done, but Tass there is more here then we all know." The room grows darker as he leans towards Tass. Pointing at the map he wispers. "This is the TERATHAN KEEP, our most hated and worst enemies." Tass looks down at the map turning it so he is able to read it better. Looking up with a look of concern in his face. "Sir I will send the word out now." Tass runs towards the doors turning back to Lord Logan. "Strenth and HONOR." Lord Logan turns to Steel and wispers, "hang in there old friend hand in there." Tass rides off and hands off a list with names to a servent. Yelling back as he rides "send those members Pigeons NOW." The servent turns and runs off thinking of fastest pigeons.

Tass rides wile thinking of the supplies that he will need. Looking back towards Olympus he wispers. "I will not fail you sire..........

Logan sat along side Steels bed, entranced...he saw through the eyes of his brother Bishop. He watch him and the guardians battle from Papua into the dark depths of Terrathan keep. The spider kin, seemed to know the guardians were coming, as thier numbers were far larger than normal. The fought tirelessly for what seemed hours till they ascended into a room where a ghost stand before them...Athena. Breathing life back into her and giving her the one thing she sought above all...Light. She would reward the guardians thier bloodspawn but not before they took 10 vials of blood from the deamon lords. They sat in Britian alchemists shop weary and worried as Athena brew up the bloodspawn.

Who here is closest to the victim, she asked.

Bishop stood forward, giving a lone nod. She took her dagger and spiked it deep into Bishop's hand in the exact location of Steel wound.

It is complete, Athena stated as she handed the brew to Tasselhoff.

Now we must find the other items and cure our brother before it is to late. Before....

Logan began the weekly meeting as always, promptly at 7 by the eastern sky. He started by stressing the importance of curing Steel. When an unsuspecting visitor dropped in on Olympus. It was Blinky. He entered Olympus stating he had a message for Logan. The guardians sprung to thier feet, arms drawn and at the ready. Logan told them to stand down as he accompanied the stranger outside. Blinky had but a scroll in his hand. As the two walked outside Logan noticed a foul stentch on the air. Blinky turned and handed him the parchment.

Logan opened the parchment, as a green mist spread from its fibers stunning him for a brief second...which was a second to long as the drow lept from hiding clonked him on the head and shoved him in a gate. They tried to dispell the gate from the other side but guardians somehow pushed through. They ran inside dragging Logan closing and locking the door behind them.

He had not the strength to fight them, his remaining efforts were in turn to hold his mindlink with his brother Bishop. Bishop called the guardians back to Olympus for the news he recieved was quite bad. They would kill him now, rather than wait if the guardians didnt leave. Bishop jumped on a horse, which displeased him thoroughly, and headed to Olympus.

Once there he sprung from his horse and ran inside to see what had happened. The few there told him the story. I great scream came from his mouth as he broke a kite shield across his leg. He began to shake as a distant soul over took his.

*...Guardians...* *...you have but 6 days to rescue Rico before he is sacraficed to Lloth...* *...cure Steel...* *...he will know what to do...*

Bishop fell to the floor in a lump.

Great pain me brudder in great pain....We is must cure Steel...............

Struck down in spirit by the ambush that he was unable to stop, Cheblis, his head hung low, ambled away from Olympus. The cries of his fellows echoed in his head. How could he let them down so? How could his powers of persuasion over the beasts of the lands have faultered in such a dramatic and conclusive manner. As he walked a mist gathered about his feet, he paid little notice to the hour which had grown late. A yellow moon shone in the shy, burnishing the land in its jaundice glare. Of the sudden he was nearly chest to chest with a great white stag. It spoke to him in a soundless voice. "You must come with me, if you wish the return of your gift. The mistress is in need of your service." He didn't question, he knew immediately the path must be followed. The two vanished into the mists...

There will be one born in the darkest hour of the darkest night who will wield

the power and bring the light. Through blood and valor, through grief and joy, this one born shields what greed would destroy, but one seeks another women to man , heart to heart and hand to hand, So warrior , witch, daughter, and son will complete what has begun, If there are strength and hearts are pure, this land , this man will endure, the midnight hour will forge their power to free this land and this man of tyranny, As i will so mote it will be

The mood was somber at Olympus. Emperor Logan had been taken, Rico was to die in 6 days, and Senator Steel lay dieing in his bed.

Akroma knew what she must do, she knew that she was ranking officer and yet she longed for days when there were so many who made these decisions.Logans last wish had been for the remaining Guardians to finish Steels cure but following an order that ignores the captivity of ones Emperor is indeed tough.

With a heavy heart after hearing Bishops story of his Brother and Rico , Akroma made her decision ,She and her fellow Guardians would finish Steels potion. So preparations began immediatly and shortly they were off to their fist destination.

Having found the scroll in Lord Logans office Akroma knew that the ingredients could not be carried by just anybody, Luckily Isabelle had joined us and she was the perfect candidate to collect and eventually brew the life-saving potion. So the group headed off for the ant hill, home of the Red Queen of the ants. Many had alliances with this queen but those alliances fell to the wayside with the life of a guardian in the balance

The Zoogi fungus and fertile dirt were quickly collected and again the group looked to the scroll.The next item was Leaves from the Yew tree in Novitus Sanctum. The group made haste for they all knew this location well and the leaves were collected quickly. After a short prayer for our fallen brethren the group was offf again, this time our destination were the graveyards of Felucca. We needed undead bone and what better place to get it than the graveyards.

With all the main ingredients collected the group returned to Olympus , to take a look at the scroll once more. The last few items on the list were mixing tools more than ingredients. While a small contingent went to Ilshenar to gather the water from the pixie pond, others went to collect the dragon scales and deamon bone for mixing. Soon all was gathered.

The moment of truth was now upon us, Isabelle began mixing th ingredients while Oberon's dragon waited to heat the brew. Each guardian held their breath as the last few ingredients were added. After quite a while Isabelle looked up from her work and said with an exhausted voice"It is done".

Steel's potion was finished now the question was had all this work been worth it. Would this potion cure Steel?

*As Kodoz arrives in Gargoyle city he notices something strange going on. He enters with his war fork drawn and shield equipped... as he passes the first turn in the city he hears some small sobs, chants, and whispers. Curious, he rounds the next corner and stops suddenly. Hardly believing what he sees, it is a funeral for one of the high priests. He had never heard of one dying as they knew the secrets of alchemy and healing better than almost anyone else. He sheathed his weapon and slung his shield around his back, and dismounted. Taking off his helm, he strides to the casket, and sees what he dreaded... the same hand wound as Steel. Knowing that if they could not heal one of their own, he realized Steels cure was not to be found here. He then went to his beetle and rode back to Olympus...*

The Guardians stood a diligent watch over their fallen Senator. Guards had been posted and positioned to bar entrance to anyone without leave to enter his quarters. Every hour, on the hour, a healer would be permitted to enter and check upon Steels status. Unfortunately, while the wound to his hand was healing quite well the more important matter of his conscience had not. Steel remained in the same position he had been ever since the Emperor had laid him in his bed. His cold sightless eyes peering upward toward the heavens, his skin pale and cold to the touch. Were it not for the faint beat of heart, and the slow weak breath coming from his lips, he would have been thought dead.

Steel was unaware of all of the events swirling about him. The frantic hunt for the materials necessary to conjure his cure, the ultimatum given regarding Rico, the kidnapping of the Emperor. Locked inside his mind his thoughts were ablaze with thought. Thoughts of time past.

Young Steel stood quietly behind his father. He watched the elder DarKnight heat a long beam of metal to a red-hot state. Once it had been heated enough to satisfy him, using a set of tongs he pulled it from the forge and set it upon and anvil placed near by. With long, hard, deliberate strokes he began to mold the unformed metal. As the metal started to cool, the elder DarKnight placed it back into the forge and motioned for his eldest son to pump the bellows. Steel wanting to please his father pumped the long handle furiously heating the coals and spewing forth red-hot flames and ash. Steels father chuckled slightly to himself. Walking to stand beside his son he patted him on the shoulder. Looking towards his father, Steel smiled hopefully.

“That’s enough boy, we don’t want to melt it to nothing,” Steel’s father said with humor in his voice.

“Yes father” Steel replied meekly.

Quietly, The elder DarKnight motioned to his son to follow him outside to escape for a bit the damp heat of the workshop and into the cool morning air. Looking down on his son, he nodded to himself. The young boy was shaping up just fine. Steels father spoke gruffly “One day son, this will be yours and your brothers, Like my father, and his fathers before him”

“It is your responsibility to continue the tradition as I, my father, and his father before him continued it.” The DarKnight’s have always, and will always produce the arms and armor of the Royal Guard of Britannia”

“Dosst quortek zhah usst!” Came a low female voice from the back of Steels mind.

Steel and his brothers ran quickly home, upon the horizon a steady line of smoke and ash rose towards the heavens. Smoke, heavy and black. Even from this distance the smell of charred wood rankled their noses.

The brothers having been given the day off by their father, had chose to spend it together. They had traveled to the nearby river to enjoy the day fishing, and swimming. Sitting out in the sun, having just finished their swim it was with quite an alarm young Val, his fathers namesake noticed the rising smoke.

Immediately, without even bothering to gather there things the brothers rushed towards their home.

Rounding the corner, they all gazed in shock at the sight before them.

Steel screamed in pain and sadness “Mother! Father!”

“Natha or'shanse z'klaen tlu offered lu' paid, wun retlah” The voice again rang through his mind.

The Champions stood firm at the western gate of Trinsic. Scouts had reported that the massive formations of the Juka army were moving to take Trinsic and the Alliance had pulled their forces here with hopes to stop the advance once and for all. Steel stood in the center of the line speaking words of encouragement to his fellow troops, pushing them to stand firm. Beside him stood many young Champions. Doddz, Kurt, Schneider, to name a few. Feeling a hand on his shoulder, Steel looked back towards his patron knight, Sir Ironside. Ironside nodded at his squire and then spoke “Hold them here laddy, if we should fail they will hit the backs of the other members of the alliance holding the other gates”. “Trinsic will fall and this war will be lost.”

Steel nodded in acknowledgment to the elder knight.

Clad in royal blue cloaks, and sashes, while wearing black kilts, the Champions prepared themselves for battle. It would not be long before they were tested and they knew this day could prove the turning point in the war.

The wall of Champions was tested that day. Wave after wave of Juka smashed against it…but fell away as the waves upon the shore.

After the battle Steel was again heard his name spoken. This time it was from Battle Commander Rand. “Steel, come with me.” Rand spoke. “We have been asked to meet with the Alliance commander”

Steel followed the general through the streets of Trinsic; the bodies of Juka, as well as of members of the Alliance littered the roads. Victory had come, but at a heavy price.

Eventually they reached the Barracks of Trinsic. The barracks were serving as the command and control center and within could be found the leaders of the many orders whom had formed the alliance. PGoH, GoL, T9C, C&C, VK…..

General Rand, after looking over the people within, approached a tall balding man clad in black armor.

“Hail Emperor Borg, The Champions bring welcome news from the west gate…………”

“Dos z'klaen yaith natha price, natha or'shanse, xor zah'har ussta jusron” the voice spoke.

“For Oath and Code” yelled Steel as he moved in on his assailant. Clearly, Steel now held the advantage. The attacker quickly was made the defender as he narrowly avoided Steel blade. The combatants locked blades struggling to gain an advantage. Seeing that he was not a match for Steels swordsmanship the assassin lunged forward with his Kryss then deftly bounded backwards separating himself from Steel. As he stepped backwards a pink vial flew from his hand landing at Steels feet. In that brief moment it took for Steels mind to recognize that liquid the vial exploded engulfing him in a ball of flame the force of which threw him backwards, knocking his helm several yards away. Somewhat dazed but knowing a pause would mean his death Steel, again leaped to his feet. His assailant had not moved and strangely had sheathed his blade. Chanting softly, with arms extended. Suddenly the green warrior shrieked “Os thus Mani!” Steel recognized these words of magic and quickly leaped towards the assassin. Almost instantly the green warrior shrieked “Corp Por”! Both forces of magical energy hit Steel at the same time but, due to years of battle with mages of darkness and the resulting resistance to magical energy, both attacks only lightly fazed him and served to increase his rage. Blinded by the assault and raging with anger Steel charged through his assailant sending the assassin flying to the ground. His helmet flying far from were he crumbled. Steel quickly approached, raising his blade to finish his foe. His mind, as it always did at moments like these, seemed to take everything into focus. The world seemed to slow. The rains,………….. lightning,…………… thunder,………………… The crumpled form of his attacker laying face down in the mud in front of him………………….. The body struggling to rise,…………………… struggling to lift his face from the mud.

Flashes of lightning, almost continues, now ringed the sky in light.

Both warriors looked to each other. Their eyes showing determination to win… to survive…. then suddenly, through their eyes, a brief moment of recognition followed by looks of horror.

…………………………….

…………………………….

…………………………….

“Brother!”

Steel looked grimly upon his younger brother a sibling that, he had thought, been lost to him many years past. Staggering with shock, and the feelings that suddenly tugged at his heart he could only say one word.

“Why?”

His brother spoke while still laying on the ground “Brother?…….Steel ….I didn’t know it was you…. HE paid me well. HE always pays me well. How was I to know?……. To know?……That……. That this time……. He never told me it was YOU! I would have never agreed….never…you have to believe me!

“Stop,” shrieked Steel and he started to back away. He looked down at his brother. His light hair, his light blue eyes, his youthful features. “You are still cold as death brother. Does nothing but the promise of coin win your loyalty? Have you no yearning for something more…. something to fight for? Does only the feel of the blade, the fire of battle, and the hint of fortune warm your heart?

Verite DarKnight looked up from the ground at his brother. Looked up, as he had all his life to his elder sibling. Ever so gently he shook his head. Steel had made his choice in life. I have made mine. They were the only logical choices at the time. That fork in the road had long ago been passed. There was no going back. Or was there?

“Brother….I….” Verite spoke quietly.

“Brother”? Steel seemed to spit out the words. “I have no Brother named Verite”. “At least I don’t anymore” “He left along time ago and it seems he is never to return”. “I mourn his death.”

Know this you………. “Mercenary”. Next time I will not stay my hand. Next time………….

The only sounds that could be heard as Steel walked away was his own footsteps and the gentle sobs that seemed to come from the green clad warrior who still had not picked himself up from the blood stained, mud soaked, ground.

“Dos z'klaen yaith dosst due tlu ol dos xor mina, ol z'klaen tlu paid.”

Turning his head so that his face could not be seen by the young Decurion, Emperor Borg looked towards the head of the Praetorian Guard. Standing protectively nearby Sir Brightblade looked towards his emperor and, for the slightest of seconds, broke his cold stare with a wink. A wink, that was returned by the emperor.

Steel waited calmly for his emperor’s orders. He watched as the Emperor raised himself from the collection of maps on the table and strode, arms locked behind him, to the castle window. Borg paused a moment at the window looking towards the sea. Without turning he spoke “ Decurion, make it so”. Steel raised himself from the table and saluted. “Yes milord”.

Descending the stairs from the Emperors quarters and quickly making his way to his office Steel hurriedly organized his thoughts. Upon reaching his office he quickly scribbled a brief message upon several scrolls stored near his desk and sealed them with his insignia. After this was completed he called for couriers for delivery. Darkness soon penetrated the office as day turned into night. Steel continued to sit staring into the darkness his thoughts many leagues away.

Dos ph' wasting draeval rivvil, doer ulu uns'aa nin!”

After a brief moment of silence Steel began to speak. “Ange, so now you understand what we hope to accomplish?” Ange answered “Yes sir I do.” Steel nodded “So what are your thoughts?” Ange smiled “A excellent plan sir. I believe we should be able to achieve our goal.”

Steel nodded once more and looked down the empty hall. “Aye, the trap is going to be set” he said. “A little bait for our enemies and BAM!” Steel punched one mailed fist into the other to emphasize his point. “Ange for this mission to succeed this plan must be kept in complete secrecy until we begin our assault. The enemy we face and their allies have many eyes and ears through out the realms. If our battle plans fall into the wrong hands we could very well be marching to our own funerals. The empire’s very existence relies on a victory here. If we should fail we shall find these forces upon our very door.”

“We must not, nay, can not lose!”

“Understood sir,” answered Ange solemnly.

“Dosst brethrens dro hangs wun l' balance wael.” The voice said loudly.

Steel walked from soldier to soldier. Noble Kodoz stood along side Knight Kentaro and recently blooded Aidan. Steel looked to Aidan for any sign of nervousness, as this would be his first major battle. Steel saw none and was proud of the young Legionnaire. To the sides behind the walls sat many Mages. Prometheus, Neo, Logan, War Dog, Earwen, all of whom were under the command of Ange sans Ailes. She had placed them as her and Steel had discussed and they would be almost untouchable behind the walls of the entrance. From these safe positions they could cast their deadly magic’s without fear of harm. Upstairs on the battlements Mages and archers kneeled behind the walls to conceal their location. Their job to destroy any Savages that attempted to retreat to warn the village. In the castle courtyard Thiork was hard at work creating gates of magic and whisking in the steeds that would be needed for the next stage.

Once all was ready, the next step was set in motion. Steel Darknight mounted a steed and rode towards the enemy village. Alone, he appeared a easy target and it wasn’t long before he was set upon by a large group of Savages whom thirsted for vengeance against those “Ironskins” like him whom had killed so many on the beaches. Steel quickly wheeled his steed and sprinted towards castle. He was forced to slow several times to allow the Savages to remain in sight. Unfortunately, the Savage shaman saw this as an opportunity and blasted the Knight with their foul magic. Beaten, bloody, and barely conscience Steel rode through the open door of the castle. Hordes of screaming Savages in tow.

To their surprise they found not the single half-dead knight they expected. The jaws of the “trap” had closed and they instead found a wall of blades and armor interlocked to prevent their passage. To the side’s chants of magic rose up from the walls and it was only moments before waves of fire and poison started to wash over the now terrified Savages. As much as they tried the Savages could not retreat. As this attempt to retreat was blocked by an equal amount of savages who were pressing to enter and soon, they too, were awash in magical energy as the mages and archers positioned on the battlements raised and began their assault. The bodies of the first Savage wave soon lay littered around the courtyard.

“L' draeval uriu doer whol dosst choice S'argt.”

“No! No! No!…No!.”

Quickly, he wheeled Honor about seeking to turn back….He knew that the forces before him were more than he could handle alone. His hope, to return to Olympus and gather reinforcements.

His hopes were quickly dashed as yet another portal opened behind him. This one having been created by arcane magery. The creatures pouring forth though were the same. Steel recognized these…Gargoyles, Demons, their number countless and awful to behold.… It seemed as if the Abyss itself had emptied in

order to stop him.

Wheeling Honor about once more Steel knew his only hope lay in reaching the Moongate. Clicking his steeds flanks he urged it forward. Unsheathing his sword he yelled…

HONOR! HONOR!

Crashing into the evil spawn, he thrust his blade from side to side seeking to clear his way. His pace while quick as first slowed as the evil spawn reached for him, and his steed, seeking to tear them to the ground.

With an evil cry the hordes pushed against him. As one would fall, it would be replaced, by another, and another. Steel spared one moment to look towards the moongate… Yet more of the evil spawn poured forth.

With a cry of victory, the hordes tore Steel from his mount. Its pitiful cries moving though the air as it was brought down…then silenced

Steel himself was covered with blood…his enemies and his own. Although he had quickly leapt to his feet after being demounted, he could not move forward, nor back. The bodies of his foes lay piled about him…along with his shield, having been battered by use. His tunic soon joined the pile as it too failed him.

His enemies seemed to increase……

Steel knew at that moment that he has failed and his death was assured. He seeked only to take as many of the Demon spawn with him as he fell.

His breath was heavy, his wounds many…he had fought for a time that seemed to be hours.

With a rush the enemy brought him down…He felt the chain and the amulet being ripped from his neck…. he had failed.

As sudden as it had come, the enemy departed…. Steel slowly pushed a body, skewered by his blade, off of him …and looked about.

He saw the last of the enemy move through a portal that had been opened to the side of the moongate. Slowly Steel crawled forward in an attempt to follow. Yet as he looked up one form stepped through portal.

Larger yet than the daemons he had fought it was, it wings lay tattered upon its back, its skin a motley grayish brown. Leering down at Steel it spoke.

“Foolissssshhhh Mortal……you have failed…The time of your Guardianssssss…issssss over…. Our mastersssss wisssssh your Death."

“Come mortal…..your death awaitssssssss you’sssssss……”

Steel slowly rose to his feet. Coughing and spitting blood to the side he spoke…….

“I……….Shall……..not……. LOSE!!”

“Ussta elg'cahl grows rin'ov stronger wun dos dhyn.”

Slowly, Steel closed the window and sat down in the chair positioned next to it. Looking downward, Steel pondered the course of recent events. The realms had change, along with the people within it. The gods themselves had some hand in this as their sweeping changes and creations had altered reality to a very different state than what it first was.

The threats of the past had disappeared, the undead lords were in check and their activities and groups were isolated to a few catacombs. The Orcs and Savages had been greatly weakened by the constant onslaught of man. They retained but a small portion of the power they once had. The Juka had all but disappeared after the death of Blackthorne. Almost all evidence of the Army of the Sands had disappeared and the prophesized invasion had never come.

No enemies threaten the guardians or their holdings and thus the Order had no focus.

No longer did the young squires run about the castle tending to their Knights requirements, or studying the arts of war. Possible entrants to the empire had all but dried up. It seemed that the younger generation of the realm had little or no interest in the teachings of an old order. Or the honor and comradely to be found within.

Opening the door he walked out upon the entryway. As always standing his lonely guard stood Todd the Sentry. The old warrior looked exhausted, almost as if he could fall at any moment. The late day had turned into night. Steel realized that the ancient sentry had not been relieved in some time Steel felt pride at this old warriors sense of duty, even though no one would have noticed his leave, he continued to remain at his post.

Steel slid his hand through his slightly graying hair. Pausing a moment as if to make a choice he placed his helmet on his head and saluted the Sentry.

“Although the night is often cold and dark, and brings perhaps things we may not have foreseen…. the morning, it always comes.”

“I shall stand with you this night.”

“Nin zhah l' draeval, dos inbal natha choice S'argt belbau dosstan xor nindyn dos zhaun lu' ssinssrigg zhal rei lu' l'lonna.” Spoke the voice with expectation in her voice.

Steel found himself kneeling in a great throne room of darkness and shadow. Before him, sitting upon a throne of ebony a young female drow elf watched him intently. Steel attempted to meet her gaze but could not. Every time he tried, her eyes burned into his, forcing him to tear away.

A slight evil laugh could be heard from the elf.

Dhyn solen zhahen naut meant ulu l'inya pholor l' phraktos.

Steel bowed his head downward.

Stepping down from the throne, the young drow woman approached him.

Instantly, Steels mind was beaten with the events of the past week. The desperate search for a cure, the ultimatum on Rico’s life, the capture of the Emperor.

Dos inbal natha choice ulu morfeth S'argt, dos shlu'ta dortho wun saving nindyn vel'ussa dos inbal noamuth, jhal l' toll zhah natha obok uss. . Dosst athiyk zhah protected dal uns'aa, tangis' nin 'zil ussta elg'cahl xunden olt i'dol areion dosst khel. Dos z'klaen belbau dosstan ulu uns'aa totally lu' xuileb reserve. Dosst khel Usstan shlu'ta plynn, jhal dosst athiyk zhah vel'bol Usstan lac.

Dos kampi'un l' consequences d' vel'bol orn sha'nalt ka dos xun naut qua'l siyo?

Steels mind was again buffeted with thoughts of his legion’s torture. The pain,….the blood….the never-ending night. He saw it all as if it was happening

Steel, looked up towards the evil goddess, and in that moment stood firm in his gaze with defiance in his eyes. His mind burned as a result, the pain unbearable.

“I give myself to you, on the condition that the events you have shown me are not to pass…….”

Steel grunted in pain and finally lowered his gaze back to the floor.

The evil goddess laughed once more. “Waela dhyn, Usstan iglata naubol byr taga ulu simply drewst ussta influence lu' dortho dal l' events ulu doer.” “Dosst “S'argten” orn inbal ulu deal xuil vel'bol’s zet d' nindel situation nintan.”

“Usstan orn inbal vel'bol Usstan lac.”

Gently she reached down towards the fallen Guardian and raised him up towards her.

“Usstan nin inbal vel'bol Usstan lac.”

The Guardians stood over their fallen Senator. The salve they had so desperately sought the reagents to be applied to the letter of the instructions given them. Quietly they spoke among themselves as the healers worked to remove the bandages.

What if the cure did not work?

What would they do? The Emperor captured, The S.o.W. bedridden, or worse dead.

Steels eyes fluttered open…..quietly he looked towards his Guardians with great reverence and respect in his eyes. To each and every one he looked meeting their gaze in turn. As he had seen many of their predecessors come, grow, and then move on. He had watched many of these, the new generation of guardians come, and grow……

“Look towards the leafless trees of Trinsic, There, you shall find what you seek, in the appointed hour.

Strength and Honor Guardians.

Safe journeys…..

And with those final words, Steels eyes fluttered shut, and his last breath rattled from his chest. Finally at peace, but for a single tear rolling down his cheek.

They say that in a mans final hour, before his death, the events of his life are replayed to him

Perhaps this is true, perhaps not. But in this way, perhaps, a man is judged on that final hour.

Edited by Steel DarKnight

Alasse swatted at the wrinkled hand firmly wrapped around her elbow, tugging her along at a pace that made it difficult for her to keep her feet. "Settle down, old man. Settle down!" She gave Hudson her sternest look, but his agitation was so great, her reprimand had no effect.

"You must come, you must see, you must tell me what it says." Hudson beseeched her. "Kaatya tried, but she could not make out the meaning of the words." With that, the normally gentle bard shoved Alasse until she was eye-level with a fresh parchment bearing the mark of the Senator of War. "What does it say? WHAT DOES IT SAY?"

Alasse's lips moved as she silently read the words of the common tongue. Aloud, she translated for Hudson the words he could not understand, the drow language. Her mood was flippant and sarcastic as she began, but as she progressed, a great sadness overtook her and she had to fight to continue, at a whisper.

Your soul is mine.

A sacrifice must be offered and paid, in full.

You must pay a price, a sacrifice, or suffer my wrath.

You must pay your dues. Be it you or them, it must be paid.

You are wasting time, human. Come to me now.

Your brethren's life hangs in the balance, fool.

The time has come for your choice, Guardian.

My poison grows ever stronger in you, mortal.

Now is the time, you have a choice, Guardian. Give yourself or those you know and love shall fall and wither.

Mortal eyes were not meant to gaze on the gods.

You have a choice to make, Guardian. You can aid in saving those whom you have lost, but the toll is a high one. Your spirit is protected from me. Even now 'consort, my poison works it way through your body. You must give yourself to me totally and without reserve. Your body I can seize, but your spirit is what I seek.

You understand the consequences of what will happen if you do not agree, yes?

Foolish mortal, I promise nothing other than to simply remove my influence and aid from the events to come. Your Guardians will have to deal with what's left of that situation themselves.

I will have what I seek.

I now have what I seek.

Neither one moved, nor spoke. Her prized lute left Alasse's limp hand and clanked onto the cobblestones, unnoticed by either Guardian. She knew the pain would come, soon. But for now she was numb, uncomfortably numb. Her eyes stared into nothingness, her heart heavy. She slumped against the wall and slowly dissolved into a heap. The music was gone from her world.

Edited by Kaatya

The tears flowed freely from Akromas eyes, The loss was more than she could bear. Steel had been been like the father she never had. Taking her under his wing and helping her to complete her training.

"WHY OH WHY MUST HE.... BE Tak..e..n"

She dropped to her knees a this side and openly wept but then awash in emotions it hit her. Grief turned to Anger and as she stood she mentally prepared herslf for what she knew was coming.

"They will pay and pay dearly for this . Many Drow shall drop at my feet for Vengeance and Honor "

She spun and turned to the Senators and Magistrates assembled.

"The time for subterfuge is over, This calls for open WAR!"

*Kodoz, who has only once shed tears before, must do so once again. Kodoz didn't show it that other time, and this time was different. Kodoz was filled with rage. He drew back a fist and slammed it into the wall with all his considerable might. Something cracked, and hurt, but he hit it again and again and again. When he finally stopped he looked at the mangled bloody remains of his hands, bones broken, skin scraped off and bits of leather armor embedded in the wounds. The wall was bloody where he had hit it, and Kodoz screamed. Not from physical pain, but emotional pain. Steel was one of the few who truly understood him and noone could replace him. Kodoz sobbed and again hit the wall. A barely audible teardrop hits the floor as he does so. Kodoz grabs Steel's hand with his good hand, and clenches it tightly. All he can think is 'this can't be happening, not to Steel, why not me, why couldn't I help him.' Kodoz suddenly he realized something. Why couldnt he be brought back? It had been accomplished, but usually only to become undead. Kodoz didn't think Steel would like that. Kodoz couldn't think of Steel in the past tense. Looking at his mangled hand he removed the glove from his other hand and covered the wound. He knew Akroma took the message for war out. The best thing he could do was remain with Steel until he was needed in battle. He would be on the frontline, taking his vengeance. But for now he couldn't leave Steel alone. He realized he was still clenching Steel's hand. Kodoz realized there was one thing to do. He let go of his rage. He had almost lost the one thing you never should. Your temper. For he who angered you owned you. He knew from experience you cant fight well in a rage. It lends you great strength but makes you forget your basic tactics. Kodoz squeezed Steel's hand once more, removed the necklace he wore with an ankh on it and laid it on Steel's chest. He then left to join the others, hesitated at the door momentarily, then left.*

A brittle twig snaps as a soft-booted foot trods upon it, breaking the utter silence of the moonlit night. Kaatya freezes and curses under her breath. She listens intently and sweeps the surrounding area with her keen gaze for long minutes. Satisfied that she has not revealed her presence, she resumes her patrol.

The desolation of the once verdant countryside offers little cover and no comfort. Kaatya is on her third lap of the outskirts of Trinsic, travelling in ever-widening circles. Nothing out of the ordinary has been sighted, not by her or her eagles. Every ne'er-do-well, every innocent, has been scrutinized. She strengthens her resolve and fights off the desperation that tugs at her already saddened heart.

"Look towards the leafless trees of Trinsic, There, you shall find what you seek, in the appointed hour."

The sound of his voice plays over and over in Kaatya's mind as she continues her vigil.