When and why did you start playing UO?

Guest Charlie

Guest Charlie

I Started in October 2002. I saw UO on a tv show about video games history and the last game was Ultima Online, they said that you can make your own character and let it live its own life. I was amazed and knew then that i wanted to try this game.

Then I guess I wound up talking to my brother and he said hes been playing UO and he let me walk around with his character. ''There were other people, real people talkng and walking around'' I thought and from that day I fell in love.Ive never liked the typical games where npcs say same thing every day all the time, you can get attacks to a timing and once you beat the game............. thats it......you beat it. Im one where if i get close to beating a game I stop playing it cause I get bored and figure, well thats it....with UO you cant beat it,its always fresh and new. Sure you can fight the same dragons every day but sometimes your lucky to get one and some days youre running from 5 chasing you.

Then in game one of my first friends Aralo showed me rp;he wasnt great at it but he introduced me;then another friend,Doddz, shined up my rping. He made me get rid of the ''lols''. Kodoz was the final step, he got Charlie to be the rper some of you know today.

Mainly I love UO to this day because I meet friends from all over the world, and in rl it gives me self esteem to talk to ppl,all in all UO changed my whole life,and I'll never leave it.

Edited by Charlie

I started uo something like September 2004.

A friend of my wife, from her work, knew I like D&D, roleplay and fantasy books and the like. So he did two things: One was saying to my wife: "Don't say I didn't warn you, it's addictive!" and the other thing he said "Let me just show him (me) the game"

In the end, he showed me the game... it took me some time to get used to this new world, it is a world, living and holding itself for its own. It is, as Charlie said, a world of many REAL people, it is never the same and you can always do what you want. The game can be a new game every day, depending on time, people involved and the scenery.

It took me way too long to discover the wonder of guilds. For a few months I only toured the world of UO, finding random companions for hunting and not much more. I don't know how or why I checked CVL out. I just wanted to join a guild, to see how it's like. So, I posted at their site and I was contacted with Lady Sabrina of CVL, we sat at a table at her UO house, and she asked me what I wanted from a guild, what my expectations are. I had no real expectations, but roleplay came up. So it was Lady Sabrina who introduced me to Lady Charlie of PGoH. I joined PGoH on April 10th 2005 with Thorax. Currently all my characters are PGoH and they even hold some respect in the guild (I hope :cool:)

By the way, some might know this friend who introduced me to UO. He had the characters "Black Cat", Wiz Cat" and a few more (of course) and he still owns "Cat's Mall" at Luna. Sadly, he converted his religion to WoW.

Started on a friend's boyfriend's account. She was obsessed at the time and I thought I'd try it, so her boyfriend let me have a character - Liadan - on his account. I originally stuck around mainly because it gave me something to do instead of sit around and browse random websites. Ended up getting a copy for myself and starting over on a new account, still with the name Liadan. I saw Kodoz, Charlie, and someone else RPing in Haven one day and was surprised to see there were RPers in the game, so I went over and RPed along with them. (This was when he had the necklace stuck on and we were trying to figure out how to remove it.) I'm pretty sure it was only a few days later that I ended up joining PGoH. Now I hang around for the people and the RP - again, I suppose, because it gives me some form of escape from stress and anxiety.

My friend has also converted to WoW, with some CoV and other things. She's starting to come back to UO though, and last I knew, her character was SilverJackal on Catskills - a tamer/mage with the professional title of stoic.

In response to Charlie:

"Sure you can fight the same dragons every day but sometimes your lucky to get one and some days youre running from 5 chasing you."

Replace "fight" with "tame" and that's basically the story of my UO life lately. Haha. XD

Edited by Piper

I found out about the game while digging around on ebay in 2000. Bought a copy of The Second Age and was overjoyed when I found an ostard wandering around haven (until I found out that nobody there could tame it for me). The leader of the first trustworthy guild I was in was the one who first mentioned PGoH to me and referred to them as good people. Not long after that, a guildmate discovered the undead player-run city of Satamarin and we both decided to try imitating the people there in order to sneak around unnoticed and see what they were up to (i was the vampire and he got to be a lowly ghoul :cool: ). Of course I got hooked on rp and applied to PGoH as soon as my time in the other guild came to an end. Now you're all stuck with me whether you like it or not :(

geez i feel like a uo grandpa. 8 years. 1998 is when i first started playing i was 13 years old. i would ditch school all the time and hang out at my friend matt's house. well he showed me uo and i loved it. i remember placing my first house south of britain my freshman year of high school. of course then by my sophmore year we all stopped playing uo. i was the only one to keep my account my two friends that played sold thiers. im so glad i kept mine there is no way i would want to rebuild the characters i have.

I started playing UO October 2004. A friend of mine, irl, told me about it. He said it was really fun and talked me into playing it. He plays on and off now. I've never stopped playing. I played for 6 months when one day I was shopping around Luna and I met Tasslehoff. We talked about books and he mentioned roleplaying to me. I had heard about it before that but never tried it. Later that day he introduced me to PGoH and a week later I was a legionarre. I was in PGoH for 6 months then PGoH started going through rough times and I took a break from the guild. I was away from PGoH for 4 months when I talked to Kodoz and he told me PGoH was back on track. I had missed the guild and couldn't wait to join back up. I've been in the guild ever since then.