Name of Guild

Martok

Can you tell I'm off work today by the amount of posts?  I thought I'd start a new thread, the last one was a bit long.

Please post your ideas for a guild name at this thread.  

I had a little brain storm of something latin, don't ask me why.  I looked up a few latin words that might fit into our theme:

fidelis-loyalty

spiritus-spirit

fidelitas-loyalty

sanctimonia-purity, virtue, sacredness

regnum- rule, authority, kingdom, realm

honour-honor

Greg is a big latin/roman times fan.  If anyone is at all interested in something with a latin flare to it, I'm sure Greg could come up with something good.  

:smash:

I think the name needs to reflect the kind of guild we are going to have. We have already (I assume) pretty much decided on the noble's house guild template. The question is, what kind of spin are we going to put on it? I'm seeing a sort of imperial republic set up. We need a name that evokes images of the distant city of light that is our capital; images of tall, white, gleaming towers from which enormous, flowing, regal banners hang, proclaiming our destiny to subject the world to the rule of order and good.

That kind of name  :smash:

-Araton

Well, I believe that it would be appropriate to continue or Classical style of combining Rome and Greece to make our little "club" worthwhile.  I will tap my brain for some ideas and get back to you.

On a personal note, Gregory Meridius, Emperor of PGoH, UO will not be making the journey to the new lands.  Recently, in my little story land of imagination Gregory and Hippocrates found their long lost brother who just so happens to be a Champion of the Gods and a doer of good, his name is Aeneas Kaolin, and will be the contact for "my" SB affairs.

Yes Wolf, get to work on that visualization Araton came up with for the flash movie.  Remember that the big white marble tower is exactly forty two paces from the temple and fifty six paces from the castle!

:D

Nice name Greg, very unique.  Still racking my brains over a name.

LOL  :D

Ok this is my reasoning as far as the name goes. I believe I am correct in assuming that we want to become a "sovereign political entity" (i.e. as opposed to, say, a band of mercenaries). If this is the case, then it makes sense for us to have a name befitting of a nation-state. Imo, this requires our name to include some sort of proper noun. It could be named after a place: the Kingdom of Great Briton. It could be named after a nationality: the Holy Roman Empire. Or It could even be named after a person (can't think of an example other than something like Hungary or Colombia). It could even be stretched to something like, the order of soandso or suchandsuch. However, the point is, It shouldn't be something abstract, such as: "the Protectors of Good," or the "flaming swords."

Just my opinion, thought I would throw it out.

-Araton :)

Yes Wolf, get to work on that visualization Araton came up with for the flash movie.  Remember that the big white marble tower is exactly forty two paces from the temple and fifty six paces from the castle!

:D

Nice name Greg, very unique.  Still racking my brains over a name.

Hah!

Tok, now are those human paces or centaurian paces  :)

That's a good line of thought Araton and I would tend to agree.  I think that we should (providing someone can think of a name that can tie in) utilize something from the lore of the game itself as opposed to "earth" names.  If we could tie in the latin language in such a fashion then I think we may be right on the money.  Just mho.

Yea, we definitely want something that relates to the shadowbane lore and history. Now that I think of it, perhaps it would even be a good idea to come up with a rough sketch of a back story first.

I'm seeing one of two possibilities:

either: *something in latin* of *place name*

or: *nationality adjective* *something in latin*

kind of corny, but could we work in something like...

"e plurabis unum?" (you can tell by the spelling my extent of latin training was civilization 2)

And about the flash movie, We could just put in clips from gladiator.  :D

-Pequin

Hmmm  Wolf.....the KISS principal might be a good thought....

The Dominion does ring with a sence of "Empire" as desired......

Aeneas Kaolin

Hmmm...

The Dominon (-D-)

The Kaolin Kingdom (TKK)

The Dynasty (TD)

The House of Aeneas (THA)

The House of Kaolin (THK)

Once we do finally select and make one....we need to start promoting it and I will work with the fiction/tie ins to the game designers (my past experience may help)

I figure you would love that name Borg,  but its WAAAAAY to star trekish!

The Dominion?  Seems awful simple........but maybe simplicity is the best.

:)

Aeneas Kaolin is rather trekish, it's acually the name of a recluse billionare from a book I just finished called "Kiln People" a good read......I suggest it if your a big future society sci-fi fan.

heheh aye it is.....in both...trekish and simple n sweet..... :D

I be just waitn for de wurd frum da boss nassa Greg oney dissa oney.....GAH that is Gungish.......eek :)

heheh :laugh:

Isnt anticipation great? ;)

What about something like Terra Alba? Terra is land. What is coincidental is that kaolin falls in the category of terra alba (fine white clay). Clay is a substance used to mold and virgin white is seen as pure. So it could be translated as the Pure Lands.

Or is this something we don't want to have to traslate? If that is the case - try looking up Dominion in a thesaurus. (The definition if Dominion is also very interesting and highly relevant.) I come up with The Republic or Palatinate.

One important thing to remember is that when we become landed; i.e. when we get a tree of life, either by planting one or capturing one; we will have the opportunity to name our new kingdom.

When we start the game, we will start as an errant guild, and our guild name should imo, reflect that in some way. I think our name should also reflect our history fiction, and not be abstract or generic.

-Araton

A gold star to Siun on her investigative work.  The book in which I took the name from is about a future where humans imprint their "souls" into lifeless humanoid clay dolls, once activated they carry out whatever task is assigned to them in the manner that you would.  So basically if your house needed to be cleaned you'd make a clay person to do that while you watch tv.....then at the end of the day they can load their memories back into your brain.

I can see our name falling together very quickly once we get a bit of history to work with.  I am anxious to see what all the folks involved in that come up with.....should be great  :(

Each of the game engines that the website will support guilds for will be unique.....redunancy is the death of interest.  

So instead of repeating a format over and over....each guild for each game is different...themed to match game and then flavored to give players a different taste.

ie some may fully good, neutral or evil....or a mix but they will be all built with FUN in mind and the good of the many principal.

HONOR will be the thread that binds all the guilds together....but there certainly will be different colors and shades.....different perspectives...HONOR exists in everything.

Horizons Empires of Istaria.....The Eclipse will have DRAGONS as the core

(so large and numerous we will block out the sun)

Shadowbane.........?????Guildname?:rotflmao: will have humans as the core

Warcraft.............Skullcrusher Orcs will have Orcs as core

(if it moves clomp it...if it bleeds eat it)

Star Wars Galaxies....:rotflmao:??Guildname?:smash: will have Galactic Empire support as its base

(kill rebel scum)

Dark Age of Camelot.....Valhalla Vanguard....has Midgard as its core.....the true followers of the GODS

Ultima Online........Purple Guardians of HONOR has an self sufficient Empire of Tradesmen/Diplomats/Legion/GODS.

Archived