Suggestion

Glok'tur

I was thinking about it, as the anticipation for WoW grows, aswell as my anxiety to roleplay orcs, and my general love for everything Warcraft.. I think it would be fitting to allow trolls to mix the warcraft jamaican accent that trolls have, with our orcish language. Shim did a decent job doing so in his addition to the Ashenvale Forest Outpost story in the Fire Pit. I mean, c'mon it's warcraft. :silly: Providing that anyone who does so uses a little logic, it's not hard to do.

"Me nub tink dat su guud, mon. Les gu clompin' lizzies insted, den we be jingly."

It would just bring more of the warcraft universe home, for me, and I would assume others aswell. I've already begun to adapt my speech for Glok'tur, as an orc, to fit more like the warcraft orcs. Of course it will still be slurred, broken and "orcish." But I have started re-working how I phrase some things in orcish, so it still retains the warcraft orc feel, aswell as immersive orcish roleplay feel. The tauren could possibly have a similar altered lingo, or phrasing. Afterall, trolls and tauren are different cultures, and we will have to adapt to the warcraft universe in many ways. Probably the largest being that the warcraft orcs are from Draenor, a different planet, and were infact led a quiet shamanistic life before their corruption by the burning legion. But all those things will be fitted out as we play, and have to accomodate for them. The language on the other hand can be decided upon now, since it doesn't depend on game mechanics and nature.

~Glok'tur

I am leaning towards a big no on this subject.

I am not fond of the "hey mon" accent that is in WC.

You would have to do MUCH convincing .... (perhaps MUCH is not a strong enough word...)

Orcs do not speak the way our clan does in WC... It is something unique and special to our clan. Other RP guilds out there will adept their own language as well.

*nods* It will work either way, I just thought it might be interesting. Yeah, I guess for that we would want to come at the game from a full "Warcraft Role-play" standpoint, as jamaican accents and orcs speaking good english doesn't fit unless you do. Nevermind, suggestion withdrawn. We will have to tolerate a lot of other people roleplaying that way of course, which will be fine. Perhaps it will be one of the things we skullcrushers shake our heads at, as we are trying to pull away from the changes brought about through the orcish servitude under the burning legion. One of those changes could be considered the language that the horde generally speaks. While we have developed an altered version, to feel more independent. We should start thinking about some of the backstory and things we will have to entangle with the warcraft history, as it is ridiculous to enter this game thinking we can ignore it, since this is one of the first games to include a highly developed orcish culture, that's playable. We will need to follow the history that is implied simply by playing in the game, yet be independent in our tribe's culture, to some extent.

~Davatar

I agree with Uglutz on this 100 percent. I think the Jamaican accent detracts from the game. I cringe every time I see/hear someone speaking with that accent. The language is one of the first items we agreed on when creating SoC. As to our language and reasons, most of that is explained in our About section on the website.

Thrall is a great hero, but he is not our kind of orc. We disagree with many of his methods. Even though Blizzard is making life quests on how the orcs in WoW have been in the past and where they are going in the future, we do not need to follow those exactly. We can comply by some of the history, the part about the demonic possession of the orcs for example. And, in a way, we are returning to the old shamanistic ways of the orcs, but not the same old ways. We are following our blood god whose mission is, more or less, the extermination of all of the alliance and to not follow the alliance ways. Two examples: Speaking the Alliance tongue and using guns.

I doubt we will have as many restrictions as Shadowclan did in UO. After seeing the hair choices I think we will allow members to have hair since it is a part of warcraft. I will of course not have hair on Grulg (one less item for enemies to grab). The same goes with weapons and armor, anything that your orc can use (except guns). Since armor is very limited, like warlocks can only use cloth, rogues leather, etc, and many of your quests contain soul bound items that only you can use... I see no reason why warriors cannot wear chain, and the others wear what they wear. However, no guns. Warriors can learn to use guns, but it takes 300 skill points which is a lot. But, that is definitely alliance and I do not want to see our orcs using that weapon.

I am sure some things in the guild will change over time as we find out more about WoW.

I can see both sides of this argument here. If I spoke from a personal standpoint, Rhoach wouldn't use a 'conventional' troll accent anyway, since he has mostly been around speakers of the alliance and Skullcrusher languages, respectively.

I suppose each individual's character would affect their accent.