Beta Questions

Martok

A few fellow Skullcrushers have had the opportunity to play some WoW beta!!!

If any of you have any specific questions, please post here! Those of us who have played the beta will do our best to answer here!

I have not yet been to an instanced dungeon. Sorry, can not answer.

Tradeskills so far:

I took up Herbalism, Alchemy, and enchanting.

Herbalism was rough at first. I was only able to find two herbs around the starter cities of Durotar. I did notice that as I ventured out into other lands, more herbs were noticed. It was very slow going at first, never having enough to make the potions that I wanted. As my skill in herbalism increased, I was able to locate and pick new herbs for even better potions! You can often find herbs not too far from the trail, but more often herbs are found a good distance off trails while you are questing. Very easy to pick up an herb.... walk up to it (it shows up on your mini map) and click on it!

Alchemy was very easy. It tells you what components you need for the potions you know how to make. You are able to buy new potions from alchemy vendors if your skill allows, but the best potion drops I hear are off of rare monsters. When you open up your alchemy window, it will tell you how many of each potion you are able to make with the ingredients in your pack. Just click on what you want to make, and there it goes! If you fail you will not lose your components!!! And you will gain a skill point when successful!

I didn't get very far into enchanting... it was just as easy as alchemy. It told you what requirements were needed etc...

The only thing I do NOT like about the tradeskill system, is currently you can master every tradeskill there is if you develop enough skillpoints (although it would take a tremendous amount of playtime). To me that just seems to hurt the economy of the game, and player interaction. I would much rather prefer each player only being able to take two to three skills max.

I know others in the beta have complained about not being able to find enough ore for mining, but maybe they just haven't found the right areas. I found Mulgore the best spot so far for herbs (Tauren zone). Durotar (orc zone) was horrible, as was the barrens.

I love the way the tradeskill system works, I just don't like how everyone can do everything eventually... .they really need to change that!

I was under the impression that upon release, a character will only be able to master a maximum of 3 tradeskills at any one point in time. The could opt to change in between by "unlearning" one in favor of another, unless I'm way off base.

They have changed it.

As of right now, you can get an unlimited amount of skillpoints. Keep in mind, the only thing that skillpoints are used for is to increase your attributes (strength, intelligence,etc...) and tradeskills (oh, and if you wish to learn something your character class does not normally have the ability for... like shaman can learn axes...)

Skillpoints are gained from fighting MOBS. Spells and abilities are able to be purchased by leveling.

Originally, they planned on limiting it to 3 tradeskills max, not the case currently unless they change it back.

Originally, they planned on limiting it to 3 tradeskills max, not the case currently unless they change it back.

For beta only. Kat has said countless times that you will only be able to master 3 tradeskills. For right now in beta, there is no limit. It's easier for them to just do 300xp = 1sp and not worry about limiting them per level or total limit.

Well for those in beta so far whats your overall rating of the game? how does it compare to all the others we have played?

And i hope bal is right that they limit you to 3 skills per char for as Tok mentions what is the fun in being able to master it all

On a scale of 1-10 I give it an 8!!

Just needs some minor polishing (its ready for release now as far as I am concerned)

Depending on how they finalize the PvP system, this will be a great game!

In terms of skill gain, I know I've heard that it's not as monotonous as other games, but is that really the case. Can you actually just go out and play and have fun while at the same time gaining in your required skills, without having to "powergame"

From what I have seen... you do not need to power game. There is no need to sit and kill something over and over and over and over to just gain levels. Most of your time will be spent doing quests. You will level very quickly if you just run about and do each quest. If we can get groups together, quests can go by very quickly.

That will be our main goals when the game is released. Questing. And with the silver made from questing we will then setup our guild. Once we hit 10 gold (with 30 people, should be able to do that in a day or two) we can get our tabard and colors.

You die.

You appear at a graveyard somewhere in your current zone.

You are ghosty.

You can resurrect there from head ghosty and lose some xp.

Or you can run back to your corpse and resurrect for free.

WoWScrnShot_051904_111248.thumb.jpg