I am thinking about trying out CoH

Vexica

Anyone got a good link to CoH info? I looked at the main web site and found a lack of information on what's what. Any good links? Or maybe what the games like as in screen shots or just world detail. Does it have a monthly fee to play? Getting burnt out on the Jedi grind and I just need to get away from SWG one or two nights a week. Thanks all!!

Hey sexy Vexy! Long time no see...

If you join CoH, choosing a character that you'll enjoy depends on your play style. Since I remember Vexica from SWG liking to kick much arse, I would suggest looking up information on Scrappers and Blasters. Alas, I do not have any good sites to go to, but...that might get you started on what you want to play.

It really depends on what you intend to do. Being magic based has more to do with what missions you start with and what enhancements you get later. It all depends your playing style really. Even the basic archetypes: Blaster, Controller, Defender, Scrapper, and Tank, have different types of abilities to go with them. Here are my suggestions:

If you like to be a teleporting cannon 'Ala Eversmack try Blaster. Eventually you'll get the teleport part around level 14. Blasters are cannons that are usually elemental based, with a supplemental combat power (also elemental based). Blasters have high damage with range and low hitpoints.

If you like to say, manipulate or eventually summon things, then try Controller. Controllers powers are forms of manipulation of elements, psyche, even illusions. All this depends on your choice of primary powers. The secondary are also a wide range of abilities, much of which involve Buffing/debuffing, but not as effective as a Defender. Controllers have low damage/low hitpoints.

Another choice is the Defender. Defenders are the primary Buff/Debuff characters with once again, a wide range of powers. Some powers involve Damage, others healing. Ask Jag about defenders, I don't run mine enough to know. The secondary powers center around range combat, but not nearly as effective as blasters. Defenders have medium hitpoints/medium damage.

I'll leave the other two archetypes out of this because they're pure melee.

Generic powers: At level 6 you begin to have the option of powers that are open to all classes. These include: Teleport, Flight, Super Speed, Super Jumping, Athletics, Healing, fisticuffs, etc......

Missions, well, I've found that they are pretty balanced. Some are harder than others, and sometimes require a bit of help. Early on, they can be summed up in a few types:

1. Defeat 10 of ****** in ********

2. Find this object in an area, defeat all foes (defeating all not always the case)

3. Find and destroy these objects in an area, defeat all foes (defeating all not always the case)

4. Talk to, look at, give this item to...etc.....

5. Break up a gang fight.

6. Free kidnapped people, defeat foes (not all of them all the time)

7. More stuff, but I'm a low level snot and don't know what's next.

Why so many missions? Well, the experience is nice. The area is generated for you and your group if you have them along (no one can intrude on your missions and take your enemies). When these missions are completed, your contact (the person who gave you the mission) will reward you. Sometimes the reward is another mission, others it may be enhancements, inspirations, or even another contact to get missions from.

Of course there is the free range work to be done. Muggings, robberys, drug deals, and worse are everywhere.

The sidekick system is a hoot.

Hope this helps.

-cheers!

-Hothgorn TheBlack

Thank you so much! That was just what I was looking for. I think I am going to go out and get it tonight and give it a try. What server is most of the old SWG people playing on?

GOT IT!! Wow I like it! It's a nice change from SWG. I love all the names that people are coming up with to go with there hero's.

I so far got..

Lexica Frost (ya i know same name as before) Blaster Ice/Ice

Keltic Kat -Blaster Fire/Fire

I love the costumes that you can come up with! :)

I definitely enjoy defender, and it feels pretty similar to a magic user to me. Look for me in game, if you want, or post any questions here, I'd be happy to discuss the defender with you. :silly:

Dark Osprey

I think that I may finally cave and go pick up CoH so I have something to do when my eyes start buggin out of my head from staring at little pixels when drawing too long

I think CoV (City of Villains) is not due out until next year. Anyone else have any more info on this? I'm really looking forward to that.

Oh, and: Wolf! Look us up if you do indeed cave and buy the game. It'd be fun to adventure with you again. :)

Dark Osprey

City of Villains is due out next year, about May it's guesstimated. I'm excited about that because there are different archetypes for villains, so I've heard...and one gets minions! Minions!

Archived