Retired

Wolf

**The old warrior looks down at the blade resting gently in his lap. His mind wanders to memories of yesteryear, of friends come and gone, battles fought and wars won. A smile plays its way across the old warrior's face, as his hands caress the worn pommel of his sword.

With a sigh, he pullls himself slowly to his feet and places the sword in its mount above the mantle.

Lighting a candle, he totters to his writing desk and pulls a piece of velum from its drawer.

With a shaky hand he begins to write:

"Pater Imperium, Fellow Magistrates, Senators and Citizens of the Empire.

It is with a profound sadness that I retire from any political duties of the Empire. Recent sentiment expressed by various members of our family have showed me that it is time for this old warrior to hang his sword and rest my weary bones.

I would appreicate it if my words can be passed to the stone masons so that they may make one final adjustment to the titles I have been blessed and Honored to have worn within the Empire to reflect my retired status.

To those that have tought me what it is to be a part of something so much larger than myself, I am forever in your debt and no words will express my gratitude.

To those that bore the Empire on their back through these many years, through trial and tribulation, through Victory and Defeat, who gave me a home within these strange lands when first I found myself upon its shores, I salute you, I Honor you, and above all, call you friend.

To the citizens of the Empire, new and old alike, I wish with all my heart that you have learned or will learn what it is to be a member of this community, of this Empire. And that you follow with conviction, the road paved with the blood, sweat, selflessness and tears of those that have come before you.

And so it is with this letter, I close this chapter of my life within the Empire.

May Honor Guide and Bind thee for all the days of your life.

Yours in Friendship,

Wolf"

The old man sits heavily into his chair and stares at the parchment in his hand. Carefully, he rolls the letter, drips wax on its edge and seals it with his signet.

Slowly, the old man climbs the steps to his pigeon roost. He sighs as he watches the messenger fly out into the night bearing his letter.

Returning to his room, the old man sits heavily onto his bed and blows out the candle.**

++++OOC: Many of the comments made on the boards these last couple of days have showed me much of the thoughtlessness of some of the individuals who posted them. This has nothing to do with the desire of the majority to see a more active "leadership", for in truth there have been many instances in the Guild's history in which we have made such changes and had leaders come and go for the betterment of the guild, a sentiment that I truly share and support.

For the record, my desire to retire Wolf as of this moment, stems from the genuine ignorance that some of our members have shown with respect to the personal sacrifices and committments that the INDIVIDUALS (not the characters) have made so that all could enjoy this community and grow and share within it. This post is neither a flame nor a rant but the personal feelings of a long standing member of this community. Now, I know that these sentiments are only expressed by a few and do not represent the many however, there is enough of it displayed to make me step aside, knowing that there are those that would behave in such a fashion. There are ways to do things and express yourself and there are ways not to. They say that ignorance is bliss and in some people's case that appears to be true. Perhaps a lesson can be learned, though this is a virtual world, think before you speak as there are real people listening.+++++

according to the codex Wolf gets a boat when he retires *nodnod*

anyone wanna help me build a really big, really nice boat? (with a bathtub in it of course :p )

Thanks for all you've done over the years Wolf. You're one of the best leaders I've ever had the pleasure to serve under.

*folds the parchment, binds the letter with incantation, places it in a golden chest, seals chest, never to be reopened.

*opens a scroll and begins to write apersonal letter to Wolf*

I am deeply sadden by this event. I set off on a journey for the last 2 years that would have never been accomplished if it werent for the leadership, dedication, and vast knowledge that you, Kalinaf, Borg, Balandar, and Martok spent many years compiling. The one thing that lead me out of the ways of evil was seeing the devout attention you few spent on training and setting forth a good example to follow. I looked forward to having one last battle by your side, to show you what your training has accomplished. Alas, thats not to be.

In light of your decision, I have decided to dedicate my existence in this realm to studying your words, adhering to them, and spreading your knowledge to new recruits. We will build this guild back up to something you can trust and have honor in being a part of.

You will be sorely missed by all, cherished by many, and forgotten by none.

*stamps his seal on the letter and flushes the pigeon out of his cop. An intense anger arise in him as his eyes begin to bleed*

OOC: this hurts, alot. To have younger ones flush out our leadership, really pisses me off. IM gonna miss you Wolf. you taught me alot.

Edited by LukkanMortain

:) I am saddend by your decision Wolf. I noticed at the bottom of Lukkan Mortain'e post the Quote he has posted there "For strenght there must be skill, for HONOR there must be wisdom." Is it not true that wisdom comes with age, or in this case experience? If all of those in the guild with the wisdom of "age" leave who will be there to adivse and guide us young ones from straying from the path of honor? So that one day we may be great leaders like Borg and yourself? With this said I will say it was an HONOR in itself to know you. May you rest well, safe and warm. Strenght and HONOR

Leah

*kodoz slowly and carefully adds a return message*

Wolf, you will forever hold a place in my heart for being my mentor, my master, and my teacher. You were one of those[ooc: in UO ] that could help recalibrate my ethical compass, always the one with mirth and morale in mind along with myself. you wrote the book on dedication, tactics, and true leadership. I would do anything to make you change your mind, and will do anything in my power. I hope you return to our hallowed halls inside PGoH Olympus at one point, and wish you the best in all you do. [ooc:No matter if it is real life, or any of a dozen virtual worlds, Safe journeys, Good luck, strength and honor, and farewell my friend.] I will miss you for all time, both as a companion, friend, student, and ally. Please venture safely wherever you go and live by the strength of your will and ideals. And remember, if you must stand alone for your ideals and beliefs, then do so. They are the only things worth dedicating your life to and guiding your life from.

*Kodoz appends his Signature stamp, and remembering that wolf made it, gives a bit of a sniffle, but cannot find it in himself to shed a tear, for all these feelings were burned out of him by the harsh and cruel environments he inhabits, and he hasnt shed tears in years, even at funerals. However his regret and sorrow are deep and profound, and cant ever let himself forget those who have helped him and those that he has failed to save or help in their times of needs. As he hands Wolf the letter, he salutes him with the most respect hes ever had for the Ancient Gladiator, not merely due to his leaving, but because of why he has chosen this path. Regardless of personal loss, Wolf lives and breathes by his ideals, and that is why all should respect him. He then shakes hands, and walks out the door without looking back....*

[ooc: if i ever hook up in shadowbane or any other games in future, ill contact you. I also hope you make this not permanent but temporary, but the choice is yours and yours alone. CHOOSE WISELY. ]

Wolf is gone...

It takes the drowsy lancer a few moments to wrap his mind around the concept. He had been slumbering for so long, having cut himself off entierly from the world, letting both physical and mental anguish heal. Wolf, whom he had once sworn to protect from himself, and yet another time sworn to kill. Wolf who had guided him from a calloused uncaring existance to that of a man brimming with love.

How long had I slept? I could not even know what had risen me from my slumber, but I knew for a fact that wolf was gone... The mental anguish burns like a thousand hellfires in my mind, and a wound on the mend across my leg reopens as I spasm in pain. Then I cry.

I cry not for my pain, for I have become numb to it, but instead for my loss. Yet another peice of my soul has departed this place with my dear friend, and I can only hope that one day he comes to return it...

Darkness takes me again...

To all those that have decided to part with the Purple Guardian family.

I myself am only in my fourth month of membership but from what I have seen all of you are indeed great people who have helped structure and fortify this guild. I have gained much knowledge from you all in such a short period of time and am very glad to have met you.

All I ask is that you follow your destiny's and please keep in touch with us, i'm sure reading your stories of adventures you have after the guild would be a welcome distraction from the everyday life that we will be carrying on with.

Thank you all once again for making everything what it is today.

Squire Grelix.

Old warriors never die or go away they just simply sit back and take it all in from time to time. While many are stepping down and away they will never totally be gone. Sometimes it takes great upheaval to bring about great change within some people. Let us hope that those people envisioned as leaders step up and fulfill the roles some of them have already taken and others have yet to take.

Strength, Honor and Wisdom

BB