What do you plan to construct?

Rumblebore

I have been thinking of what I want to make and was wondering if there are any crossover plans which could benefit others. Post of you are of a mind to do so.

Rumblebore was my first and most beloved EQ character, and he was a Dwarven Paladin. Thus, my thoughts are running in making a Dwarven Community, underground of course. Not a Kaladim, but more like a town or city with extras.

The big picture at this point runs along these lines:

Inspiration source – Mithgar Dwarves, Dennis McKiernan style.

I want to make a below-ground dwarven community of residences with central community area(s), upper access areas with connections to the outside (think glass-less windows and secret doors) which are hard to find when outside. Not a capital city but more a community. Lower areas for storage, water/aquafers, and herd-pens/stables, and even deeper areas for mining, smithing and a few caverns of rock formations, underground beautiful ‘gardens’. Of course, even below that are the “deeper places” which will contain hidden rooms, and connections to subterranean critters, traps (bottomless pits) and maybe an evil lair or 2. Access into this area has a primary entrance low on the mountain, secondary “delivery” doors for trade, and a couple or more alternate/secret access points. Defensible but the beauty of the place is to be found in how the community uses the caverns and hewn rock places to enhance and support themselves.

Oh yes, tunnels will tend to be only ablut 5-5.5 feet tall. This is meant to be a place for Dwarves to live, not Orcs and elves.

I always liked Dwarves as well. Two of my characters are Derkin and Dwar MetalForger.

But... I'm going for Wizards tower first! Or a pile of dirt depending on the resources I find.

Here are some of my inspirations.

post-1-0-80662800-1387410045_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-81619100-1387410046_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-70746100-1387410122_thumb.pngpost-1-0-76136800-1387410123_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-00366300-1387410125_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-11371700-1387410126_thumb.jpg

Well, last night i watched several info videos and now comprehend we won't be able to enter game and start creatig like they do in the videos. Landmark is its own game and as such, we will have to work at gaining materials to build with. Using those materials, with their limitations, will limit what we can make. Later today/tonight I will be looking at the wiki page they have for materials. My dream underground community will have to become built bit by bit over time.

Opening will be humans only so even then I will not be able to play a Dwarf, initially. So sad....

Since basic worked stone is so plentiful, that will have to be the starting material to layout the place, then as I grow in experience and gain acess to other materials, I can replace existing walls and pillars, etc, with other stuff like granite or marble, assuming marble will be a material we come to be able to work with.

No problem. I just start smaller and build over time. Mayube a nice underground hobbit-hole for the time being, to stock up all that wonderful material I will be out harvesting.

I just hope they do not open things within the first half of a month because I cannot get time off then to play 24/7 and sleep 0/7.

Actually, since you'll get the pick-axe as a founder you can get ANY wood in the game. I would use that to make your template and then replace the material with stone over time. Or make it out of dirt/sand. That will be plentiful.

I am likely to explore and mine in the first days anyways. I am a born pack-rat and will stockpile as much as I can before trying to fashion my digs. Besides, who needs materials to dig a hole? Thats the beauty of it.

The link below shows a concept in part close to what is pn my mind, but only in the central part - the cave/tunnel opening and tunnel itself. Think of that as human height and uses "natural" stone look as compared to purely worked stone (nice cubes and rectangles, fitting almost seamlessly). Now picture that surrounded by a vertical rock face with green growth around, ivy-type plants, and stone-layered steps up to the mouth (not perfectly formed steps) and within the tunnel a slight ramp up as you move deeper in and that is the general concept. Something like a heavy door or rolling round slab in a slot which acts as a sealing off the entrance object, and that is a general beginning of the entrance.

http://digital-art-gallery.com/picture/18029

Ok, no sooner do I post the above and go back online when the idea I had in mind appeared almost perfectly on my screen here: http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/Thomas-%26-William-Daniell/The-Entrance-To-The-Elephanta-Cave.html

The actual entrance is back under the columns a ways but this is looking like what I hope to have the surrounding terrain and entranceway to look like.

Edited by Rumblebore

Sweet. I always thought about making Thorbardin from the Dragonlance world. The main gate had a giant metal plug with a screw to drive it closed or open. Pretty much impossible to get through. Can't really find a good pic online. I'd have to dig out my old Dragonlance map book and scan it in.

Found it. I always keep my D&D stuff. Anyway, here are the blueprints for the Northgate I was talking about.

post-1-0-53757400-1387587554_thumb.jpg post-1-0-89052300-1387587551_thumb.jpg

Edit: Actually, that may be the southgate, same principle.

The North gate had a long walkway after the plug you had to cross with murder holes above. The bottom of the cavern was 100 ft below.

Edited by Balandar

We gonna go Dwarvish as a main colony kingdom?

Lean on the Viking lore?

Lo there do I see my father...

Lo there do I see my mother, my Sisters and my brothers...

Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning.

Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them,... in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

Viking and Steel with tons of massive stone architecture (ie Tolkein view of dwarf kingdom capitals)

I can work that into the Roman production plants and Asian pottery kiln mountains.

I'd hate to limit us to a single race. I'm sure there are people that want to play Elves, Gnomes, Ogres, Dwarves, and whatever other races they have. We need more of a 'freeport'. Perhaps a place next to a mountainside so we can have some underground dwarven caverns or helmsdeep look on the outside, some elf mountainside rivendale settlements with waterfalls here and there, and a village below the mountain. My amazing wizardly tower will be up top overlooking all of my minions.

I'd hate to limit us to a single race. I'm sure there are people that want to play Elves, Gnomes, Ogres, Dwarves, and whatever other races they have. We need more of a 'freeport'. Perhaps a place next to a mountainside so we can have some underground dwarven caverns or helmsdeep look on the outside, some elf mountainside rivendale settlements with waterfalls here and there, and a village below the mountain. My amazing wizardly tower will be up top overlooking all of my minions.

I am beginning to have no problems with living under your tower. I am almost satified with under mining it....er....mining under it.

We gonna go Dwarvish as a main colony kingdom?

Lean on the Viking lore?

Lo there do I see my father...

Lo there do I see my mother, my Sisters and my brothers...

Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning.

Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them,... in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

Viking and Steel with tons of massive stone architecture (ie Tolkein view of dwarf kingdom capitals)

I can work that into the Roman production plants and Asian pottery kiln mountains.

Disneyland anyone? Or THE-Land? Nice tall spire called Balandar's Watch, a fortified city called RumbleStone, an open Grassland caled the Plain of Borg, A firey mountain called Martok-Threndor..... <glassy-eyes> Andelain, oh, Andelain.....

Since it all will go away after Alpha is over except on Templates, we can do anything we wish. Theme or not, when we build it, he will come, so lets go the distance!!

Anyways, I definitely hope to start building at the base of a mountain or close to it with the idea I linked prior. Having a waterway nearby would be nice. More likely first a wooden and/or stone building as a basic place to reside. Not sure how "storage" of mats will be accomplished but will want a place for the Void Vault to be interfaced with, however they will set that up.

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of want to try making something that could potentially be converted to an instance when we have that ability. Been thinking a lot about creating a corrupted temple to a Sun God, or a temple to a Mad God, Also want to make a tree city up above the ground at some point. Got some other ideas as well. Anyone who wants to collaborate on those is more than welcome!

The only thing I'm wondering is how large the claims will end up being - the last known size of 70x70x100 isn't gonna be large enough to start out doing these things. If that does end up the size i'm hoping that more claim flags aren't that hard to come by. At least at first. We'll need decent areas to create some things.

Don't know the cost, but they said it goes up exponentially. So, 1 silver, 2 silver, 4 silver, 16 silver, 256 silver... or something to that effect.

And when you can't pay the costs your claim goes *poof*. But you retain the resources, items, and template. So you can place your claim again in a new spot if your old one is taken.

I have to revise my ideas about building, just to learn how to better use the tools. Going to re-watch how people do things. I did try to build a few things but found that i ran out of stone very quickly. Considering i had never gotten rid of anything I had mined ecept to make my forge and sander, I wsa shocked at the 'cost'. One things I am going to do is use the remove tool to create a gently sloping round tunnel under my claim and build a chamber lit by my torches. That Ten Ton Hammer story got to me......