Bit the bullet and bought a new computer

So I've been looking for a new system for awhile now and have been waiting for Black Friday.

Cyberpowerpc has some nice door openers going on now until 9AM PST. Another 40 minutes or so I think.

$1414 on the system below... $505 of which will be mail in rebates. So total cost is $909 for the below system with 6 month no interest. Also, free shipping. $125 normally for shipping. No Windows 7 64 bit OS installed ($100ish for home premium). I think I can get a better price other places.

Here is the saved configuration. The only difference is I added an extra blu-ray drive for $20 for total of 2. Items in blue below are free after mail in rebates. Items in RED are not free but have mail in rebates on them.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1DP3J8

Mega Special III SP3, http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_III

• *BASE_PRICE: [+809]
  • CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
  • CAS: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Side Panel Window
  • CD: LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive [+0] (BLACK COLOR)
  • CD2: LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive [+20] (BLACK COLOR)
  • COOLANT: Standard Coolant
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
  • CS_FAN: Default case fans
  • FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
  • FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
  • FREEBIE_VC1: FREE Game - Shogun 2 Coupon: Total War [+0]
  • FREEBIE_VC2: FREE Game - Deus Ex: Human Revolution [+0]
  • HDD: * 120 GB ADATA S511 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 550MB/s Read & 510MB/s Write [+98] (Single Drive)
  • HDD2: * 32 GB Kingston SSDNOW V100 SATA-II 3.0Gb/s SSD - 160MB/s Read & 70MB/s Write [+71] (Single Drive)
  • HEADSET1: * Corsair HS1NA USB Gaming Headset [+99]
  • IEEE_CARD: None
  • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • KEYBOARD: * Tt eSports Challenger Pro Gaming Keyboard Black [+53]
  • MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
  • MONITOR: * 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+148]
  • MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX/SLI] GigaByte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 mATX MB w/ Lucid Virtu Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X4 & 1 PCIe X1 (All Venom OC Certified) [+23]
  • MOUSE: * Corsair Vengeance M60 Performance FPS Laser Gaming Mouse [+64]
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
  • POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply [+10]
  • RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
  • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+0] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
  • XWNC1: Edimax EW-7811Un IEEE Nano 802.11n USB Wireless Adapter [+0]

I think it'll do for SWTOR and a good replacement for my Alienware which is 8 years old now and can't run SWTOR.

So the colors didn't work.

Free stuff after MIR's are. 32 GB SSD HDD, 22" LCD Monitor, Gaming Keyboard, Gaming Mouse, Gaming Headset.

MIR's on 120 GB SSH Hd ($50), Mobo ($20). There may be one or two others in there as well. Can't recall off hand.

Very nice, the only issue I'd bring up (And to be totally honest it's not really an issue) is the hard drive sizes. But if you know what you're storing and why you're storing it, that wouldn't be an issue at all.

And the price is right in my book. Tell me how it works out, I really need to upgrade the rigs I have and I've been eyeballing new gear for awhile now.

Looks to be a good system for a good price. I'd recommend to use the 120 Gig SSD for the boot drive, and depending on the size of swtor, you might be able to play that off the 32 gig, and use your older HDD's for storage of files while you wait for the hard drive manufacturers to ramp up production after thier thailand plants dry out and then hopefully buy a cheap 1-3 TB HDD.

I pulled the trigger my self last week - I7-3930K, 16 GB of DDR3-2133 ram (quad channel 4x4GB), MSI x79a-GD65 (8D), and the other components I already had (2xGTX 580 sli'd for 3d-surround, 3x2TB HDDs (picked them up in the summer for 50 bucks each on sale), 120 GB SSD, TV tuner card, OCZ 1000 watt gold modular PSU). Have to wait for nvidia to release updated video drivers so I can take full advantage of the 3d-surround. The system is more than twice as fast as my old system.

Yep, going to use the 120 as the main HDD as it;s SATA III, and the 32 GB (free) is only SATA II but should be able to handle SWTOR just fine.

And wow, very impressive system Kailand! I may get dual cards at some point as the Radeon I picked up in the system above isn't crazy expensive. The one I just bought.. not sure, but probably 3 to 4x as fast as my 8 year old Alienware. AGP 8x graphics. Only 4 GB ram. Everything is sooo old now.

Ok. I'm a bit confused. I'm about to buy my new system as well.

A few questions..... I'll be getting a Z68 mobo. I see that they are good for setting a small SSD as a cache with a regular hard drive. How about just getting say a 60 gig SATA 3 and use that for operating system and SWTOR with a regular hard drive for data and NOT using it as a cache?

I upgraded to the OCZ 120GB SATA III drive for the primary OS to give me some breathing room. I saw the Intel Smart Cache feature but decided against using it as there was additional cost. I think it only benefits if you have standard hard drives for your programs outside of the SSD.

Also, I went with the Z68 over the standard one they select as it offered SLI/Crossfire support and the standard did not. So you wouldn't be able to upgrade to two video cards in the future. That or it was crossfire only and didn't have an option for SLI (if you go Nvidia the future).

Edited by Balandar

Also, keep an eye on rebates. A lot of the stuff on there says "FREE" as they have Mail in rebate equal to the item. So scan everything carefully to get the best bang for your buck. They'll probably have "FREE" keyboards, mice, headsets, monitors, etc... probably only of limit 1 per household.

Ok. I'm a bit confused. I'm about to buy my new system as well.

A few questions..... I'll be getting a Z68 mobo. I see that they are good for setting a small SSD as a cache with a regular hard drive. How about just getting say a 60 gig SATA 3 and use that for operating system and SWTOR with a regular hard drive for data and NOT using it as a cache?

Anything with a Z68 should have the intel smart cache, but you will be better off having a larger SSD to load windows off of directly (it's faster, less latency,etc)... although 60 gig is probably a tad on the small size to use as a dedicated hard drive but it is doable, you would probably want a 120 gig one so you can have some applications installed. As for a sata 3 vs a sata 2 ssd, on most stuff you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference (10% or so) unless you get a new generation high end ssd and those are not the ones going on sale. And I'm pretty sure that all p67/z68 motherboards are sli/crossfire certified if they have more than one PCI-E x16 slots since it is handled within the processor itself, but I could be wrong.

About to pull the trigger on this:

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage [+11] (Black Color)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking

Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant

Motherboard: * [CrossFireX/SLI] GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX MB w/ Lucid Virtu + Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 Dolby Home Theater Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified) [+23]

Intel Smart Response Technology for Z68: None

Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+177] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Freebies: FREE Just Cause 2 Game Coupon

Video Card 2: None

Power Supply Upgrade: * 850 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: W0319RU [+92]

Hard Drive: 120GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 515MB/s Write [+126] (Single Drive)

Data Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+91] (Single Hard Drive

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: None

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)

Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

You guys are making me jealous! I have an i7 with 8gb of RAM, but after this weekend's test I can tell I am going to want to upgrade my video card (Radeon HD 5770) soon. If it weren't for Christmas being right around the corner I'd pick up a new one now along with an SSD.