The Scourge Invasion!

Holyssa

Not since the great

(RIP) has getting sick in WoW become so much fun. Here's what I found out so far about what looks to be the start of something fun & potentially scary!

1. Become infected by interacting with the odd crates in Booty Bay or attack a zombie NPC/player. Also, if you step in the green Retch cloud spread by a zombie you'll get the germ.

2. You will gain a 10 minute disease that can be cleansed by Paladins/Shaman/Priests, or by going near an Argent Healer (they're all over capitol cities). If you want to have some fun, don't let your friends cure you!

3. When the infection has run its full course, you'll transform! You can't mount up, and your walk speed is slow/zombie-like, but you get a bunch of cool new spells:

Mangle - Increases your next attack by 20 damage and reduces the target's armor by 3%.

Lurch - Removes CC spells/snares and gives you a small speed boost.

Beckoning Groan - Beckon 4 zombies that are out of combat to you. A taunt, perhaps?

Retch - Zombie puke! Target an area in front of you to use this. Humanoids in it are slowed and infected, but zombies in it are healed.

Zombie Explosion - KABOOM! Those nearby that are affected catch the germ.

-Retch will heal you, as will attacking people. Be careful - city guards still hit like trucks!

-To become an instant zombie, use spells like Divine Shield, Ice Block, or (dwarf) Stoneform to "force" the infection. Cloak of Shadows does not seem to remove or trigger the germ because it isn't a form of invulnerability.

-Becoming a zombie makes you hostile to all player factions, but here's the funny part - if a player from a rival faction transforms, you can communicate with them!

So besides becoming a zombie and beating people is there a point to this plague?

Are there objectives that need to be reached? Tabards to won? Pets to be tamed? Does anyone know?

So besides becoming a zombie and beating people is there a point to this plague?

Are there objectives that need to be reached? Tabards to won? Pets to be tamed? Does anyone know?

Fixed that for ya ;)

Right now it's just for good, clean (I use the term loosely) fun. Blizzard is being very cryptic about things for now. It's probably going to become something bigger over time, but I'd like to see stuff like mini-objectives seen around the launch of L60 Naxx (Holy wanna AD Tabard!).

I still had 80+ Necrotic runes tucked away in my bank from the event prior to the opening of Naxx.

The same currency is being used for the The Argent Quartermaster at Light's Hope this time too.

Couple of new trinkets and armor pieces can already be purchased.

One of which summons a level 60 paladin to fight at your side. When his/her time is up they <honest I swear> Bubblehearth.

Sometimes it pays to be a packrat.

Edited by Ghules

Sorry for the double post, but I figure this was important for all you grumpy zombie-haters: the plague is gone as of this afternoon! But Blizzard isn't finished having fun with pre-WotLK celebrations...

By Tigole:

We'd like to thank players for participating so zealously (and valiantly!) during the Great Zombie Plague of '08. Our intention with this event was to create something memorable and to literally change the face of Azeroth for a few days. This event is just one of many leading up to Wrath of the Lich King. As you know, the Scourge Invasion is now live as well and there is some other cool stuff coming up before all is said and done. Also, Hallow's End continues on!

While we recognize that the event could prove to be disruptive at times, we hope you made the most out of it while it lasted. Part of playing in a "living and breathing world" means that things are going to change from time to time. We meant no harm but only wanted to create a lasting impression on players as they head to Northrend to defeat the Lich King. The Lich King's goals (as you will soon learn) are to turn the Horde and Alliance not only on one another, but on their own kind as well. I think the plague truly demonstrated this firsthand.

So it looks like a cure has finally been found… for now.

Thank you for participating in our most memorable event to date… for better or for…. brrrrrrraaaaaains…

Couple of other important notes:

* The scourge invasion will continue for a few more days.

* The prologue event is not over! More to come!!

* The Karazhan boss will be up for approximately another week still.

* We increased the respawn rate of the Necropoli.

* Zombie cure should kick in by around noon PST.