Burnt out!

muru

Hi folks.

I was just reading some of the old threads that I have missed during the last year. The ones that always catch my eye are the threads about people leaving either the guild or WOW. Playing EQ a lot, then DAoC and now WOW, I can certainly identify with these feelings sometimes.

I thought it might be interesting fer peeps to give their perspective on the whole topic of burning out. I will start! :D

I always find it interesting when I see that someone has been online (in one sitting) with their character X hours, with the X being greater than the time I spend at work each day:) My thought process is usually, wow, this game is so cool that people spend all day playing. I also think, that I if were not a 46 year old man with 3 kids and a job, and were 15 again, I would never go outside again and die playing WOW! That is why I am thinking long and hard about letting my kids play. We all invest so much time n this game that it is amazing! (I always tell people that do not play a MMOORRGG:), that I have spent 335 hours to get to level 60 and they look at me like I am nuts)

And, my friends, that is the kicker for me. I look back at all the time I spend witht this game and, sometimes, think, "Am I crazy?" All this for a game that I have to pay for. My wife certainly thinks it sometimes; "All this time, on a game?" That is why I left AD for a bit and just pvpd on another server. I got on fer a bg or 2 and then got off. I kidded myself and said that I could get the full experience just playing WOW like that. It worked for a lil' bit. I left the PC whenever I needed to attend to matters.

But for me, the whole Crusher/family experience draws me back to the game. The ONLY thing that makes this more than just a game is the experience of bonding with other people. I don't worry that I still have never set foot in the Outlands. I may never see my prized couple of level 60 Benim/Muru anymore-meh. I have played these games enough now not to worry about getting the prized Battle Bow of Might anymore.

I play WOW and do not get burnt out because it is my outlet to spend some time with my firends online. I know that this is the truth,because my time playing WOW on Shandris with no real Guildies was pretty unfulfilling. So, give me my level 17 Druid and some Crushers and I will continue to smile and enjoy myself.

'Nuff said for me! :nub:

Hi folks.

I was just reading some of the old threads that I have missed during the last year. The ones that always catch my eye are the threads about people leaving either the guild or WOW. Playing EQ a lot, then DAoC and now WOW, I can certainly identify with these feelings sometimes.

I thought it might be interesting fer peeps to give their perspective on the whole topic of burning out. I will start! :D

I always find it interesting when I see that someone has been online (in one sitting) with their character X hours, with the X being greater than the time I spend at work each day:) My thought process is usually, wow, this game is so cool that people spend all day playing. I also think, that I if were not a 46 year old man with 3 kids and a job, and were 15 again, I would never go outside again and die playing WOW! That is why I am thinking long and hard about letting my kids play. We all invest so much time n this game that it is amazing! (I always tell people that do not play a MMOORRGG:), that I have spent 335 hours to get to level 60 and they look at me like I am nuts)

And, my friends, that is the kicker for me. I look back at all the time I spend witht this game and, sometimes, think, "Am I crazy?" All this for a game that I have to pay for. My wife certainly thinks it sometimes; "All this time, on a game?" That is why I left AD for a bit and just pvpd on another server. I got on fer a bg or 2 and then got off. I kidded myself and said that I could get the full experience just playing WOW like that. It worked for a lil' bit. I left the PC whenever I needed to attend to matters.

But for me, the whole Crusher/family experience draws me back to the game. The ONLY thing that makes this more than just a game is the experience of bonding with other people. I don't worry that I still have never set foot in the Outlands. I may never see my prized couple of level 60 Benim/Muru anymore-meh. I have played these games enough now not to worry about getting the prized Battle Bow of Might anymore.

I play WOW and do not get burnt out because it is my outlet to spend some time with my firends online. I know that this is the truth,because my time playing WOW on Shandris with no real Guildies was pretty unfulfilling. So, give me my level 17 Druid and some Crushers and I will continue to smile and enjoy myself.

'Nuff said for me! :D

I totally agree with you there. By the way >:L , inquiring minds want to know what are the stats of this 'Battle Bow of Might' and where does drops from, and if anybody wants to join me in a group to get it :nub: .

Its been my experience that burn out happens when the perceived investment/effort out weighs the perceived reward. Compounded by real life pressures and limitations. Ive been there too, Id lost perspective. Its that perception, that has to be carefully maintained lest you feel that burnt out feeling. Like Muru and others wrote, its the people that really keep the game fun.

The amount of time ive spent is frightening when I measure it in terms of what else I could have accomplished. Then again, I have to say Ive enjoyed this experience. I can talk at length about this "game". I will remember this game, the guild, and experience forever. Thats the bottom line is for me.

Many, no most, people dont get what drives a gamer. WoW isnt a game to me nor most of you. Its more akin to a hobby. Tiddlywinks is "just a game".

WoW is my first MMO, so I am still learning a lot about everything in an MMO world. It's been 3 years since I started playing this game, but the last 9 to 10 months have been a real eye opener to a lot of different things for me.

I've raided, I've pvp'd, and I've rp'd. Of the three I miss the rp and the strong friendships the most. I've been through a ton of immaturity in guild chat, to being completely anonymous when logging in or out since I left the Crushers (bad move on my part).

Benim/Muru sums it up best I think - I've been through the same situations with my wife, and the time spent, and trying to find the best balance between real life and play time.

Any way, enough of my rambling - Clan Skullcrusher is the best guild I was ever a part of and I miss that - you guys and gals are awesome.