Bit of an IT problem

Scryll

I've recently been having a bit of an IT problem. I've been suffering progressive failure to load Google pages. A few weeks ago I noticed I couldn't get to Google News anymore, last week Google's mainpage stopped loading, and now various sites which use Google's ad engine *including this one* are taking an additional 2-5 minutes to load every page because my browser keeps trying *and failing* to reach those ads.

It only affects my computer, it doesn't affect the others in the house. Spyware and virus searches don't turn up anything. I can't get there with the IP number either, so it doesn't appear to be a DNS issue. The only thing in my hosts file is local computer, and there don't appear to be any bad duplicate host files laying around on my computer, so I'm not being redirected away from Google in that fashion. I'm confuzzled, and with the spread to sites like this one, I'm starting to get downright aggravated.

Tried a different browser on that comp? Reinstall the browser you like?

Ive not run into such a specific browsing problem personally. Perhaps asking in The Honor Empire's chitchat forum (computer help area) might find more knowledge about the grand tubes assembly. Happy Birthday!

Hi Scryll !! (aka my hardest target in Battle)

Is that particular unit on dynamic, or staic IP, rather what is the DNS server entries? Does it match the other computers in the house?

An alternative to Panda, seen it, at client sites, did not particularly care for it myself, but that does not matter, what does matter is you have an anti-virus installed, and it is regularly updated. I use AVG FREE myself, been using it for years actually.

Is it only browsing that is slow? or is ANYTHING online slow? ( like remote access or Hamachi or other apps/games/programs that do not interface with your browser)

Have you done the delete temporary files in IE (assuminig that is what your using) and the disk cleanup on the hdd in question?

Another quick thing to try is IPCONFIG /dnsflush, that MAY help, not knowing anything else about the problem...something to try anyways...it only takes 10 seconds)

And yea, these posts should be in the computer help forum, but hey... It does not matter where the advice comes from, as long as it IS good advice!!!

Let us know what comes of this, I would be interested to know what it is/was causing the slow down.

:paladin:

May your bits flow freely, and quickly !!

I've finally found the source of the problem *albeit not an acceptable solution* and have implemented a few workarounds. Some Mac users having the same problem noticed it was only happening with their wireless-connected computers and finally tracked the problem down to the encryption. We don't know why, but apparently Google's pages for the last few weeks have an objection to the common security protocols. Turning off encryption provides normal access, but is not a particularly desirable step. So I'm going to have to live without Google for a while. I've found a way to block the ad-running scripts here and on other sites so I'm back to mostly normal browsing despite the problem.