From the Priest boards: MUST READ!

Ghidrah

I did think about warlocks today after seeing the mage changes...I don't recall any reduction in damage coefficients for warlocks in their destruction cast time reducing talent.

I don't mind it, as a warlock, but it just seems...odd...to reduce front-loaded damage for one class while not doing the same for other classes with similar abilities.

Blizzard broke damage when they started putting in the insane hit gear... and stamina gear...

we HAVE to have more damage to get the mobs down before they kill us

Although I really dont understand the priest nerf... It is the one priest spell that every priest uses regardless of spec.

Blizzard broke damage when they started putting in the insane hit gear... and stamina gear...

we HAVE to have more damage to get the mobs down before they kill us

Although I really dont understand the priest nerf... It is the one priest spell that every priest uses regardless of spec.

Understandable, but setting aside the priest SW:P nerf for a second (which makes zero sense to me as well), I just don't get why front-loaded damage output from one class gets reduced while leaving another untouched, despite the two having nearly-identical casting systems (the mechanics of talented shadowbolts are identical to frostbolts, except for the snare check). Math may be the answer (e.g. ((dmg/mana)/time) ), but who knows. I've done some preliminary math and I can deal with the damage reduction for mages without much of an issue (despite that the damage reduction actually gets worse with more +dmg gear)....but geez, I thought they said they checked and rechecked the numbers...

As for the priest "change"...not a clue what the thought process was there. Perhaps when mixed in with a total-shadow spec, it became too efficient by the same reasoning as above? *shrug* If that's the case, it seems to me that they nerfed of one of the very few damage spells a holy or disc priest has just to bring one particular spec in line with expectations (short-sighted if this was the reasoning).

Now just imagine if people took the same time they do on the forums and instead injected their efforts with that kind of thought and creativity into in game roleplay, what a world it would be!!! :dancing_smile:

In all honesty I thought the improved frostbolt, fireball, shadowbolt, etc *always* reduced the amount of damage the spell benefitted from +dmg gear. As most spells damage coefficients were all based on cast time, this made perfect sense.

I'm willing to give blizzard the benefit of the doubt and say this was an *oops check*, in that for some reason fireball and frostbolt had either escaped the reduction via improved cast time since the beginning and they just now checked the math, or in some recent patch they inadvertently made it immune to the reduction and this is just is just to bring it back in line with the way that all all other damage coefficients work.

Same thing with SW:P if someone fudged some numbers when they were retooling all the spell damage coefficients in the 2.0 patch and Blizz just now noticed it, no worries. it's all been an inadvertant buff and now they're just bringing it back inline.

Either way I'd like to see a blue response confirming or denying the *oops* just to put an end to the theorycrafting.

In all honesty I thought the improved frostbolt, fireball, shadowbolt, etc *always* reduced the amount of damage the spell benefitted from +dmg gear. As most spells damage coefficients were all based on cast time, this made perfect sense.

Well, past blue posts indicated (and the math confirmed) that the benefit from +dmg was based upon untalented cast time only...apparently, they felt the need to rethink this after a very long time. *shrug* I'm still hitting hard, but the difference is definitely there and easily seen. I'm hoping to see it reverted, but I seriously doubt we will. :dancing_smile: