To the Members of the Honor Empire: For What It's Worth

Coldren

Seems like only yesterday, there was only Ultima Online. There was no Trammel, no Felucca, no expansions.. Just an up and coming game in a new genre of video gaming which only sported one world and one community. Many played it for the novelty of it, mostly, it's genre and environment. Many more played old online BBS text games, and saw this as the next evolutionary step. Some played it, well.. for no reason at all except it was there, and it was entertaining. It was a time when having a 56k connection meant the world to your game and more importantly, to the people it allowed you to communicate with.

It was in such a young and exciting environement that I was lucky enough to ecounter some of the most remarkable, intellegent, and kind-hearted individuals in my young life. They shared a passion and interest that extended beyond geographical bounds. Beyond the constrictive nature of our daily lives, beyond age, income, and our preconceptions of others. They cared for one another, both in the virtual world and the real one, without ever having seen the color of another's eyes, without even knowing their real names. They logged in for extended periods of time to play a game for fun, to chat with you on ICQ about your problems or to tell you a great joke they just heard, or to show off a new web page or image they had been working on.

It was a life within a life, existing in a world that didn't exist. It was every bit real, without really being.

I can say, without hesitation, that no other experience in my life has ever even approached the all-encompasing sense of community that I found in PGoH on Catskills. No where else have I ever seen so many good people, so well grounded, sharing the same interests while pursuing their own goals with such a strong sense of family that had no other basis then words that were carefully crafted in letters on a computer screen.

I feel sorry for the newer generation (and I think to some extent, the newer members to this very community) in the sense that they will never really experience how it all began. No words ever printed could ever describe the commradary that was shared by the older members. We were all experincing a new genre, a new way to play and to communicate and live.

We by and large made our own experience, and there was always something new and exciting happening just about every day. Maybe someone would get an ICQ from Borg about some new event, guild related issue, or plotline he had developed. Maybe Wolf, Baltazar, and Martok were organizing a party to go clear out Decit, or take down some PK'ers that had ganked someone else. Balandar working on his website, and had something new to show us. Arianna and Mallock were out and about. Fing got another awsome rare, and Brightblade was jealous! Prometheus and Koopsta were farming Judor's (sp) mobs in Trinsic. Arthil was telling yet another story. Everyone lining up at Trinsic bank roof, for no reason than to simply look organized, as some happless passer-by would ask "So who are you guys?" - Then we'd get to tell him/her "Why, only the oldest guild on Catskills.. And we have our own castle!"

We didn't have Vent, or video of one another. ICQ was the only way to communicate outside of the game. Very few of us actually knew each other until Borg started taking his trips, and organizing real get-togethers. As a matter of fact, Stan was the first person I ever met through a video game in real life. (I hope you still have that scroll from Lord British himself!) It's easy to see how he molded this community the way he did. He was passionate, charismatic, and always attentive like I strongly suspect that many of the others whom I never got to meet were.

But, time passes. Life goes on. The games change. Interests change. Some bonds break for no reason, others for good reasons, no matter how strong they ever where.

So as the new year approaches the horizon, I would like to say to the members, both new and old:

Thank You to all those who I have had the priviliage to know in the past who came to form the foundations of this very community. I may have forgotten the names, but I have never forgotten the people you are, nor will you ever be replaced.

May we never forget where we came from, and what made us the family we were.

May we always keep looking to find the sense of community I hope we all shared, even if it is never to be found again.

May our relationshps with our virtual friends be as fullfilling and meaningful as anything to be found in reality.

May our pockects and our lives never be so empty that we have none of either to share.

And finally, to the new blood, what can I say? From a sentimental, wistful fool, I wish you the best in the years to come - I can only hope that your experiences with this community are as memmorable and irreplaceable as mine were.

Happy Holidays.

For Honor!

Coldren

Former Centurion of the Gladiator Cohort

Nemisis of Sheep

Thanks, guys.

I'm always around and about. Don't post very often though.

Hope all is well with you both. I appreciate the fact that Wolf plays a class in WoW that makes sheep.

:)

Too funny. (although unfortunately my mage is just an alt, so he never sees the light of day)

Wow Coldren, that was well said. I share your thoughts on community although I suppose I would be part of that "new generation" of which you spoke of. I think the spirit of the PGoH was transplanted to all the different worlds/games in which THE members migrated to. I can truthfully say my time with the WoW side of the family lives up to all the qualities you attributed to the UO folks. Im thankful for the random encounter with Wolf that led me here. I was instantly overwhelmed and in love with THE. When I joined Skullcrusher Orc Clan (which was mostly made up of the founders at that time) it just felt like home due to the same sense of community and quality of the people.

And of course, the Spirit of PGoH still remains with PGoH as well. We are still going strong, and will be for quite some time. We remain true to Stan's ideals and the ideals that were first established when the Guardians were created, and we are always a family. And as always, Strength and Honor!

• 1 month later...
Guest Charlie

Funny that ive not seen this post till now but it made me so happy that i needed to say that I wish i had seen PGoH back when the stone was first placed and Oly first built.

Ive went away from it in these 4 years but could never help but come back to it. And UO has indeed changed but PGoH remains.The first days in UO for me were very errr...well inexperianced.Id not been to learn how to really role play and I had not really felt a part of anything.I was a loner but had many friends;if that makes sense ; hehe. I did many hunts by myself, but now... my family is here. my home is here.. with THE, with PGoH. I care about my family and could not imagine being in UO for all this time if Id not had PGoH. This is thanks to Borg keeping THE alive,despite anything thats happened.

Perhaps with Kingdom Rebourne we shall see some old faces pop in. The newer ones would love that. Maybe set up a special night to have the older members tell the stories they lived.When Borg came and met some members it was like a celebrity came to meet them. They were all over him asking questions. *laughs as I remember*

Almost 10 years for PGoH lets do ten more plus!!!!!!!