Ancient Wisdom

Relikk

Well, I must be dying. My old friend Rel has come to visit me - said Myrtera as she continued to feign sleep.

I know - it has been a long time. I missed you very much, but war has kept me away.

Slowly, Myrtera opened her eyes. She continued to lay, bones of unknown animals lay strewn out throughout her lair. Rel noted that nothing of value lay about, the old dragon had decided to live out the remaining days in poverty and seclusion, isolating herself in a remote hilltop cave, with no easy accessible way to gain entrance to her lair. One would have to have wings in order to gain entrance, if even they could find the cleverly concealed cave.

Although her eyesight was limited, she was able to hunt at night, leaving no trace that she even existed. Country folk simply blamed the occasional disappearance of their animals to roaming bandits or horde.

How does the war go Tauren?

Not good. They have gained the support of Nytela...

Myrtera raised her great head at this and heaved herself up - Nytela! She was a whelp when I was in my prime. What business is it of hers to involve herself in this matter?

Relikk faced the wall and sighed - "We don't know." He shook his head slowly and lowered it. "We thought her to be neutral. The dragons have always remained neutral in such matters between the horde and alliance." He turned his head to witness her expression.

Can your force defeat her? She asked emotionless.

"No." Relikk faced the wall again. "The situation is dire, with her aerial assault and the alliance holding the ground beneath her, we have been unable to stop the advance. Now they sit outside of Ogrimmar, determined to spare not a single one. They will move the catapults up, and when they get them within range, they will lob firebombs over our walls and pound us to dust. Then they will turn their attention to Thunderbluff. Nytela has destroyed the outer towers and communications have been cut. Very few have been able to get in our out. Cairne has dispatched an army, only to be discovered and routed by the elves with Nytelas assistance.

So, you have come here to ask for my assistance in this matter? Myrtera questioned

Yes. Would you be willing to ask Lady Soriasiia or Lady Onxyia to intervene? Thrall has commissioned it that any dragon kin assistance would be rewarded greatly.

Myrtera smiled slowly, and looked away

Relikk faced her again, annoyed at the silence. "I will ask Onxyia myself!"

Myrtera lowered her head; facing the wall, sleep slowly consuming her. The silence continued, save for her breath.

Perhaps one of them would be willing to help us, in exchange for land! - Relikk remarked, hoping to illicit a response.

Her eyelid at the halfway point now, she lifted her head, bemused - Would they Relikk?

Yes. We would push the alliance back assistance! - Relikk stammered and snorted.

Onyxia hides in the back of her lair, just beyond puberty of a whelp herself. Nytela would feast on her corpse, as she has already done to Soriassiia - Myertella stated evenly.

Relikk looked away, defeated, and began to make his way to the cave entrance.

You said Thrall would be willing to exchange land for assistance? - Myertella asked.

Relikk stopped, continued to look at the exit, and nodded.

And if he made this agreement, no horde would come to trespass upon that land? - Myrtera lifted herself up again.

He nodded again.

The lieutenants in charge of Ogrimmars defense continued to bark orders to put out fires and quickly re-man deserted posts and remove the charred corpses. Thrall had additional reserves brought up from the rear. The western defenses held with the assistance of the damned. A sizeable force had been able to fortify and defend it quite successfully, for Lady Sylvanas dispatched her most trusted and loyal commander Maube, known throughout as a formidable dragonslayer.

Nytela continued to make attacks on the western flanks, testing it's defenses, but it had become painful and risky for her, for should a mortal strike befall her, she may not be able to make it back to the alliance lines and to the healing powers of the Paladins. Still, however, the alliance forces made good headway, and had taken the valley of spirits. It was in the Valley of Spirits that the great darkspear troll leader Vol'jin, had perished to the alliance forces. His smoldering body lay out amongst the hundreds of defenders, unreachable by the horde, and defaced by the crusaders.

She barreled down the cave entrance with amazing speed while Relikk held fast, ducking and hoping to clear the cave ceiling. Her wings unfurled as she dropped down into the valley below, the dive providing the speed and lift to her webbed wings. Wings that were peppered with holes throughout, unlike that of a young virulent dragon.

He noticed that many of her blue scales were missing, leaving the soft flesh exposed in many places to the sharp edge of a weapon. In the areas where she had scales, they were frayed and damaged, a possible reason why her lair had been barren.

Long ago, when adventurers were getting close to her lair, she would avoid conflict and leave. Many a brave soldier livened up their tales of her demise in taverns throughout Kalimdor, failing to provide anything of value in copper or coin, or even her hide to prove it, all at the amusement of patrons. Rumors spread that the lair had been abandoned, and no further expeditions were sent in search of fame and fortune.

They rode silently through the valleys, over hills and lakes and between lush mountains. Occasionally passing encampments of horde towns that he had avoided while traveling through. Smoke bellowed out of the stone buildings, while dark smoldering circles marked the location of tents. In each horde town our outpost they passed, the situation was the same with no activity.

By midafternoon they reached the area known as Mulgor, and stopped to rest at the edge of a lake. Myrtera suggested they arrive in Ogrimmar at night, to avoid alerting too many. She knew that the human lead alliance would spot her arrival no matter what time they arrived, but out of long habit of hunting at night, she had decided that this would be the best way to proceed as both of the main armies rested. They spoke for a short while, and then Myrtera lowered her head and slept while he stood guard.

The sun dipped behind the mountains, and the land became dark. Creatures of the night screeched and skittered away, avoiding the small campfire. Rel looked upon her, studying her features and pondered her long life. In her day, she must have been a grand, beautiful creature. She was the Queen of this land at one time, master of all that she surveyed. Now, her blue coat of scales looked much like a moth eaten robe. Even short trips made her tired. What have I gotten her into? He thought. He realized then that she didn't plan on gathering the support of her brethren, but that she had it in her mind to handle this herself.

A giant cat lay at her feet when she awoke, and after they both ate in silence, she thanked him for the provision.

Myrtera, what is it that you are planning on doing? - Relikk questioned

I plan to meet Nytela. Let us go.

Relikk hesitated - You are not going to face her? She is strong, in her prime.

He focused on a patch of scales that were missing.

Myrtera lifted her head to full height. I am older than the hills themselves, older than the lakes and the streams that flow from it. I have seen things you wouldn't understand, tauren. I remember your ancestors, ones that even your father's father has not known. I have seen the black dragons frozen in the caverns of time. I have seen the legends that they speak about over pints of ale, and the battles they fought. Let me handle Nytela, and you worry about the alliance.

Myrtera lifted into the air with the Tauren warrior, and flew towards Ogrimmar.

Inside, Myrtera was concerned. Her vision from her only good eye was slowly leading to blindness. She knew she could not match Nyteras speed or agility.

II

Fires from the encampments could be seen outside Ogrimmar, catapults continued to fire their deadly payload. The alliances had catapults within range and were firing over the walls of Ogrimmar's outer gates, while Ogrimmar's defenses answered the shots rarely. Battering rams were positioned to punch the gates, while the orc defenders continued to rain arrows and blunderbuss shots through murder holes. The existence of Ogrimmar in its present condition could be measured no longer in days, but hours.

A war cry from the horde broke out when they spotted the circling dragon, and they quickly scurried under doors to avoid her breath. The human attack continued, with a short triumph shout from the alliance. No one took notice that she was visibly different than the dragon that had been circling Ogrimmar for days.

Relikk patted her neck and pointed down, Myrtera focused on that point, and began a steep dive. He could feel her lungs filling beneath him as she formed a path that would take them directly over human vanguard line.

The alliance front lines collapsed as lightening licked from the point of Ogrimmar's outer walls, over the battering rams, and between every man, dwarf and elf within the envelop of Myrtera's bolt. Like a spider web, it reached out from the arc point of contact and raced across the ground seeking out victims. It did not discriminate, for even an orc fell over dead from the surge. Only the neutral ground prevented the web from continuing over the walls of Orgrimmar and stilling the heartbeat of every creature that stood within the city. A great cheer arose from Ogrimmar as hordes men rushed back to the outer walls to view the devastated alliance line. Charred bodies lay crumpled over one another, some ran as flames continued to consume them. The wooden rams splintered and saturated in flames, as if a great fire had been made for a feast.

The alliance drew back, their main force under the protection of their archers. It was then that Myrtera landed upon the scorched grounds of the inner courtyard, and Relikk dismounted to meet with the elders and organize a counter attack.

A war cry had arose once again, as the horde defenders pointed towards the alliance lines, and beheld the arrival of Nytela, flying low over the smashed lines. Orc archers readied themselves, this time more confident and in high spirits.

Nytela circled the air above the alliance encampment; she flew low to view the field. The humans continued to wave to her, as to wave an allegiance to her. She continued the circle, and as she made her way back around towards Ogrimmar's outer gates, she gathered up both speed and rage that the alliance forces hadn't already broken through into the inner sanctum of the city. Whatever had destroyed the vanguard would pay. Dearly.

As she flew towards the outer gates, a great bellow was heard as Myrtera unfolded her wings and lifted from courtyard. Nytela broke to the right as Myrtera's head began to emerge from the outer wall, to swing back around over the safety of the alliance archers. Her original plan had been to fly directly over Orgrimmar and destroy the remaining archer positions, but all that had changed with the arrival of the ancient one.

The two dragons circled, gaining altitude for the imminent battle. Nytela gauged her opponent as she leveled off and slowly glided over her healers. Myrtera continued to climb, all but ignoring the presence of her opponent. Nytela's eyes gleamed as she realized Myrtera had outdistanced the safety of her healers, and climbed quickly to meet her above Orgrimmar. Flames scorched Myrtera's right wing, burning away some of the webbing in between the spines of her wing as they passed. Myrtera's lightening scarred the scales of Nytela, leaving a visible black line upon her torso, which slowly smoldered. They circled each other many times again, as horde and alliance watched below in wild fascination.

The catapults lay silent, the sword and shield lay still upon every soldier as eyes watched the battle above. The only thing that could be heard was the fluttering of flags and the whisper of prayers.

Nytela's speed and agility soon began to show, as she managed to cleverly gain an advantageous position behind Myrtera in which she used to cleave and continually wound her. Myrtera labored to keep aloft, unable to dodge Nytela’s flame breaths or use her lightening effectively. Nytela focused more attacks on to Myrtera's right wing, which produced a black smoke and which caused Myrtera to continue circling to the right, making her next moves more predictable. Blue scales occasionally rained down unto the battlefield at each time they clashed, to the cheer of the alliance, and to the silence of the horde.

It soon became evident that Nytela was toying with the elder dragon, and the world stood still as she stopped in mid air, flapping her great wings as Myrtera vainly attempted to gain more altitude. The old dragon was slow, tired, and mortally wounded. Blood streamed from her body now as Nytela’s incessant attacks left deep gouges that ran red with blood. Nytella decided that it was time to end this battle, and finish the old dragon. But what Nytela had in speed and agility, she lacked in wisdom. And to her great surprise, as Nytela climbed towards her, Myrtera turned and faced her. Nytela’s flame breath enveloped Myrtera face, burning out her eyes, which popped from the infernal heat. Nytela turned, but it was too late as Myrtera’s incredible dive speed proved too much as she plunged headlong into Nytela, claws extended, mouth open to fasten upon any flesh that came into contact with it.

Both sides would later say they saw a giant ball of flames and lightening, blue and red wings collapsed and flapping as the two plummeted head over tail, around and around, together in a death grip toward the ground. Like a hundred giant drums, the ground shook as they hit, each lifeless in a sea of burning flesh.

The ancient dragons altitude advantage became an aerial rule of thumb for many latter engagements, and many a tavern tale.

Orgrimmar had been saved, and it was soon after that the alliance forces were pushed back, to battle lines that are drawn today.

-End-

-Rel

Edited by Relikk