Shaman Talents

Huato

I know I've done this once before, but with some of the gear I've picked up lately, and with my role changing in instances such as Zul'Gurub and Molten Core, I'm seriously considering a few different builds, and would like to get some input from some of the Shaman in the guild that have been at 60 a lot longer than I have.

To start with, my current talent build:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...000000000000000

First up, Elemental/resto with 3 points in Enhance. Thought behind this is the be a better healer while still having the points in elemental to dish out damage.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...005005005050100

Second build, Elemental, enhance, resto. This one is to help save mana on healing, lightning, and shocks while still retaining some enhancement.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...005005000000000

These are the builds I've come up with that I like. I had gone one time down to mana tide, but I didn't like that build all that well, but would consider it again. I also realize that the builds I have laid out that I am considering do not give me the ability to wield a 2h mace or axe. I still have my Hammer of the Titans and the Zulian Stone Axe, but I've found mysel liking the shield and one hand mace (Aurastone Hammer) I've been carrying around more for the added armor, stats, and healing/spell power, so I don't think I will miss that much (the hammer and axe will stay in the bank for a later date though :cool: ).

Well, I know I've already discussed this with Huato, and I'm in the same boat he is......

I'm currently full Enhancement with Restoration to Nature's Swiftness.

I can dish out some pretty good damage for sure, but I generate lots of aggro (thus a dead Uglutz). The only time I don't die in instance runs is when Huato is there to die before me.....

Enhancement was great for PvE grinding, but for instance raids it sucks..flat out. Enhance shaman are burst damage, get aggro, then die.

When I have my 2-hander I do some crazy windfruy crits (I have flurry and improved Windfury talents) but I sacrifice all the stats and armor of the shield. Those crazy crits get me aggro and I die very fast.

I am leaning towards an elemental/restoration build. My only worry here is how mana intensive this build is. Yet, as Huato mentioned to me, the Earthfury set gives lots of mana regen bonuses.

My conundrum is which should I be heavier in? Elemental or restoration? natures swiftness is one of the greatest talents in the game. I can't even count how many times that spell has saved myself and those in my raid. I honestly believe if you put any points into restoration, you HAVE to go to at least natures swiftness. So.....either go restoration to NS and rest in elemental, or do full restoration with remainder in elemental.

In looking closer at the build you have posted 3rd, I am leaning towards that as well (minus the enhancement part). I would put those points into either improved healing wave or improved reincarnation (with one point in ancenstral healing). Those seem to have a bit more bang for the buck.

The biggest downside about being a shammy with any enhancement is the variety of stats you need. Str, Stam, Agility, Intellect, Spirit...yep all of em.

With enhance/resto you can be stam/int heavy with spirit as a third.

The ONLY reason I havent left my enhance spec yet is the hopes that bloodlust would replace stormstrike. Regardless of which I'd have to respec anyhow.

My 2 cents :)

I'm playing with a third build. There are talents in elemental and resto that reduce the mana of the lightning bolts, shocks, healing spells, and totems. Combine that with Ancestral Knowledge for the increased mana pool and we should do well with primarily elemental and resto.

Here's what I'm kicking around for the third one:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...005005005050100

This saves mana on everything I cast, plus gives clearcast and improved healing, and gives me 3 points for the 3% increased mana pool. This also gives me an added 11% chance to crit with lightning/chain lightning spells and 5% increased crit chance for healing. I am not a big proponent of spending points in talents that decrease the time it takes to cast the spells other than clear cast since the up to x bonuses of items are time dependant (i.e. the longer it takes to cast, the more of the bonus you receive).

I'm also of the opinion that the extra points in Improved Reincarnation aren't really worth it since I've been running more instances. Typically we either run back or a priest is soul stoned. It's only in those now rare (for me anyway) instances where no lock is present to soul stone and we're so far in the instance that stuff has started repopping behind us that I find reincarnate useful (and the entire party has wiped).

That said, as Shaman I am finding that Stamina, Intellect, and Spirit are the best stats to focus on with my builds, and I've noticed that ALL of the 8 piece Shaman sets focus on these three stats primarily. Getting the Spirit up there greatly helps with regen of mana and health, and the intellect helps with the mana pool and chance to crit with spells (healing and elemental). Stamina goes without saying. :)

These findings of mine obviously don't work out well for an Enhancement Shaman though since they lack a lot of strength and agility.

• 2 weeks later...

:cool: Just out of Curiosity, Huato... why the mix? Still looking to do damage with spells?

Im confused because the elemental increases could draw aggro as well...

Plus, this doesnt allow for increased GW, which I use in BG's...

Just curious on your thoughts!

Huskavarne/Baracko

The elemental spells can draw some aggro, but not like you would initially think. Since I've been raiding more I rarely get the aggro unless I intentionally pull aggro by switching to rockbiter and earthshocking a mob off a caster in the party. I am on average critting with my shocks and lighting spells for over 1200 every 3 or 4 casts, sometimes more often, especially with an intelligence buff. :cool:

As far as ghost wolf goes, it is useful in the battle grounds, I won't deny that. If I need it in a hurry and I'm not on the cool down, I can pop Nature's Swiftness and go into ghost wolf instantly. :(

The other reasons I went this spec are that the Shaman gear (non PVP) sets are made for elemental/resto Shaman, and I've been doing an increasing amount of healing lately in raids, and the backup dps is awesome. The other side is that by going down both elemental and resto trees I get reduced mana costs on my offensive spells, my totems, and my healing spells...in other words everything that we have that uses mana is now cheaper to cast. Lightning bolt rank 10 costs 268 mana to cast. >:0 Fully buffed I can sit and cast them almost indefinitely, and with every 2 to 3 of them critting, you can see where that is handy.

Honestly before I hit 60 I would have thought anyone going this route was nuts! When I hit 60 I was 35 enhance 16 elemental. Since then I've respecced several times and I like this build the best.

To me i think is u want to be a dpser i would go all the way of 31 talents in elimental. i would probibly spend the 5 points in resto so i could have the lesser mana in the heals but the rest in enhancment so i could still dish out the damage with a one or 2her. that would be good.

Me build is all in elimental and the rest will go into enhancment. i dont use healing that often, and my mana is so up there that i dont have to worry about the the loss of to much mana after a heal.

Yep, I get less aggro without my enhance spec for some reason. I never thought I would go Elemental.....

Anyhows....Elemental is great. CRAZY crits. Restoration is an absolute lifesaver, especially in raids. I can't even count the number of times Nature's Swiftness saved us from a wipe.

I still do good melee damage suprisingly enough without any points in enhancement. Mana is normally not a problem unless I am in one of those larger fights. I normally have to be a tad bit conservative and not going full out on the heals , damage, or both.

I'm very happy with my build. Especially since its so tough to find decent gear for an enhance spec shammy.

Shammy is one of those lovely classes that I don't think it matters how you spec. Either one of the 3 talent lines is great, as long as you go down one of them at least most of the way.

I do miss my two hander at times, but I like this mix. The only thing I am missing from the elemental tree is Elemental Mastery, and that is a gauranteed crit if the spell isn't resisted on a 5 minute cool down. I can live without that in favor of other talents in the Resto tree, and by going down the resto tree far enough I get an extra 5% crit chance on my lightning and healing spells that I wouldn't get in Elemental. :)

I'm torn on Enhancement now. You can get nice hits with a good 2 hander and flurry and thundering strikes, but that means you have to step up and go toe to toe. Anyone in plate is going to mitigate most of the damage you'd do anyway, so it's only really effective against leather and cloth wearers. The elemental aspect is great against any class in mail or plate since the armor is not factored in.

We're a hybrid class, so we should play as such. We can do all three roles, but never as good as the classes that specialize in those roles. It aggravates me to no end when I end up in a pug with another Shaman and they say they aren't resto specced, so they can't heal...we all have healing spells and can use them. Our healing is not bad even without putting any points in restoration. Just like a Druid - they can do many roles but are masters of none. If we are to be good at being Shaman (or Druids for that matter), we need to know which role to fill when, and be able to change what we are doing on the fly irregardless of what tree we are specced the heaviest in.

That's my 50 copper. :)