Bad News about Shadowbane Release

Martok

This just in from Ubi-Soft

We would like to take a moment to let you know the current status of Shadowbane and the upcoming testing schedule.

As you are aware, Shadowbane is currently undergoing a closed beta test which has been extremely helpful for us to identify ways to improve the gameplay as well as uncover bugs that are not easily discovered by our internal Quality Assurance tests. We would like to give a big thanks to our beta testers for continuing to work hard to help make Shadowbane a great experience for everyone.

Wolfpack Studios has also been hard at work addressing all the issues that have cropped up in the past 9 weeks of beta testing. All of us at Ubi Soft and Wolfpack Studios are continuing to work to improve and solidify all the game systems, incorporate new ideas where possible, and refine and perfect existing ones. You will be happy to know that Aerynth is constantly growing and evolving into a fantastic and compelling world -- a place that we hope you will be extremely proud to call your future home.

Although Ubi Soft and Wolfpack Studios originally announced that the game would launch in the first half of 2002, we have collectively determined that it will be in the best interests of the game if we extend the beta test for a few more months. Rather than rush the game out the door, Wolfpack Studios and Ubi Soft have decided that we will release the game “when it is ready”.

At this time we cannot commit to an exact date of the game’s launch, but we are working as hard as possible with Wolfpack to release the game as fast as possible, but without compromising the level of quality of the game. We can, however, shed some light on our short-term testing schedule.

Our current plan is to steadily increase the number of players in the beta test throughout the next few months, culminating in a very large test group (thinking many thousands) some time this summer.

We understand that many of you will be disappointed that we have missed a deadline for this game, and we, along with Wolfpack, apologize for that. All of us at Wolfpack Studios and Ubi Soft greatly appreciate the support that you have shown for Shadowbane and we thank you for your patience while we work to complete the game and ensure that Shadowbane lives up to its full potential. We will be sure to inform you of our progress with the beta test, and we will make a best effort to include as many people as possible in that effort.

Sincerely,

The Shadowbane Team

Wolfpack Studios and ubi.com

Now, the solution to this problem is to let all the members of The Honor Empire be allowed to enter Beta testing of Shadowbane.  I am sure we would all be able to devote enough time to testing out anything that they saw fit.  I almost want to cry.  :reading:

While it pains me to hear this it excites me to hear that they are making things run as right as possible from day one of the release.  The more bugs they work out now the less impact we will feel from bugs that show from the masses playing and hopefully allow them to address them extremely fast.  Plus it should give us a game that has much cleaner code from day 1 of install and less patches.  As OSI and other companies have noted patches create problems because they are not part of the original coding and have some very unexpected consequences.

Well said BB.  I have been watching the Shadowbane forums on a daily basis.  From what the developers are saying, the game is ready to ship right now, if it weren't for the PvP element.  They are VERY concerned of making sure the different classes are balanced.  I guess they have found a few items/bugs that could take away from the overall gaming experience.

I know I would sure hate it if I was a level 30 Ranger and a level 10 Channeler could take me down!

Archived