Some of my ideas for Shadowbane

Greg

I've been doing a lot of thinking on our current situation...obviously we have some degree of time before the game comes out and obvously have a great deal more of planning to do before it does come out.  I do however want to be prepared and offer this as something a dear friend of mine once said.....

"The death of all great ideas is overthinking"

We really need to be cautious as to how we move in to create this awesome orginization.  I look back now at the almost defunt PGoH as an experiment that taught us all very valuable lessons.  When we create each aspect of our SB counterpart we need to keep these lessons in mine.  

Shadowbane provides us a great deal of freedom in interacting with an online world like no other game has before.  It is the platform the bunch of us have been hoping would turn up for for a very long time.  I believe the experience can both be interesting, entertaining, and fun if we just keep in mind that we need to keep things simple, and then get wrapped up in our illusions of grandeur.  :) Let us all keep in mind that we are all going to be working towards a common goal, and we should to a great extent let that be our guiding light.  I am 2/3rds done with a plan I think you all may like for our infiltration to Aerynth.  

Without making this comment all too-long I just want to again say how great it is to be back in the building mode, starting with nothing, making something.

Virtus et Honore

Gregory Meridius

Its gonna be a blast using what we have already learned and building upon that.  Just wish it wasn't going to be so long before we actually have a chance to get in game and begin exploration and implementation.

The first priority as many have stated needs to be the aquisition of resources, for with them will come much of what we need to begin building the Empire.  This point can not, in my opinion, be stressed enough.  Some may forgoe helping on this level in lieu of leveling, and to those I say all things with time, build a good solid foundation and the rest of things including leveling will fall into place quickly.

As promised I have gotten our ‘motto’, “To unite the world under one banner, our banner, in accordance with our code of Honor” translated into Latin.

“Volumus conjugere orbem sub uno signo, nostro signo, per nostros mores Honoris”

I hope this motto will help to define what our Shadowbane counterpart will stand for.  With that I offer the following as a plan for our colonization of Aerynth.

In order to successfully move into Shadowbane, and accomplish our goals we must realize many key factors will be working against us, fortunately there are key factors that will work for us.  It is important that we incorporate these factors in our actions in order to achieve our goals quickly and efficiently.  

I.Immediate Action

a.Establish the history of our organization

b.Get a name

c.Dazzle the website up to attract those to our guild

d.Choose our interim leaders

e.Choose a shard to play on

f.Securing our names (I suggest each of us have at least 5 backups)

g.Deciding what geographic location to start in

II.Short-term goals

a.Establishing our name as to attract membership in order  to spread our beliefs and better our Empire (The more we have committed to our cause, the easier it will be to attain our goals)

b.Explore the lands of Aerynth, in doing so scout locations for possible guild city

c.Destroy anything that will give us gold.  In doing so we gain experience for player advancement and raise money for Imperial expenditures

d.Collect enough money to finance a sizeable city.  (With the outlook of Aerynth’s economy being very vague at the current time I will not hazard a guess as to how much cash we will need to make, however I can say we will need LOTS)

III.Long-term goals

a.Establish a major city, the figurehead of our Empire to serve as a Mecca for player relations

b.Interact with other players in order to provide a realm of fun and activity for all those involved in our organization

c.Use the fire and drive that once was in PGoH, to impress those around us and become a powerful entity in our realm.  

d.DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES WE MADE WITH   PGoH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IV.Immediate Leadership

a.Through experience in “virtual politics” there is truly only one type of government in which all involved parties are satisfied to some degree.  While we may actually be an Oligarchy in the game, our guild leader will have the ultimate say in all matters.  Let us not get caught up with policy (much as I did with PGoH) in the beginning; let’s do what we have to do!

b.A guild leader (highest rank in the guild) serves as the force of law in guild decisions, it is ultimately their call that determines guild direction

c.An inner council whose members are experts in various areas, to assist the “Emperor” (I use the term Emperor because ultimately it is the name we will give to our leader) in their decision-making.  

d.The rest of the general membership will be the same rank until such time as we see fit to differentiate.  (The simple 3 tiers of rank will hopefully keep the “leadership/membership” split we experienced in PGoH out of SB)

V.Essentials (Each of these is based on our initial colonization attempts)

a.Be available.  Each of us, including myself, have very demanding schedules.  I do not see this as being a problem, but I will say it anyway….if none of us are around to put these plans into motion it won’t happen (I actually see us playing the game too much being a problem.hehe)

b.Ask not what your guild can do for you, but what you can do for it!  We must act cooperatively as a team.  We must put our own wants aside and give our guild 110%.  Perhaps this means that a majority of the money we collect goes towards the guild, while only a small portion gets divided to us.  I personally will give 90% of my earnings to the guild.  I would rather see our guild become strong, than me get that awesome piece of armor.  Some people may have a problem with this, but if we are truly going to have a kick-ass guild, then we must put it before our own needs.

c.Interact.  SB seems like it will be the mother of player/player interactions.  In the beginning let’s make friends not enemies.  I can see us allying with those of a similar cause and eventually assimilating them.  

That is what I came up with; I based most of it on our past experience in guilds such as PGoH.  I look forward to hearing your comments!

Very good.  You have outlined everything we will need to do to set ourselves in a position of power within the realm.

The advantage to the Oligarchy government, is that our Emperor does not have to be on 24/7 to do everything themself.  Greg (or his new character) will decree his wishes to the guild, the inner council ( or whatever we call them )  will make sure those wishes are carried out.  The beauty is, Greg is not the only one that can add people to the guild!  Greg is not the only one that can transfer the healing power of our ToL!  Basically, Greg does not need to have his home number, cell number, work number, and pager number posted for us to call him when that nasty guild decides to attack us!

I thought this was a big part of our problems within UO, only one person can do the stonework.  WE no longer have to worry about that.

We'll have to see how much the guild will cost to create.  From what I have read on the forums so far, its not a very lavish amount.  The lavish pots of gold will be needed for our city.  It shouldn't take us long to secure the amount.  I plan on taking a weeks vacation when SB is released to help get the gold flowing.  

Nice work Greg, its good to know we have a mission layed out clearly before us so we can meet objectives.

Yes that seems like an excellent plan. :(

One point though, in shadowbane, it seems that the government of a guild will be controlled with one of 4 hard coded systems that founding players must choose from. This is the quote from the Guild FAQ:

7.11  Are there different types of Government Systems for Guilds?

There are four basic types of Government Systems a player-run Guild can choose from when establishing their guild:

1. Monarchy:  All leadership functions are controlled exclusively by the Guild Leader. No one has the power to depose the Guild Leader except the leader himself.

2. Oligarchy:  The Inner Council controls the guild.  This type of Government is created by a group who wish to share power only between themselves (the Inner Council), and retain that power indefinitely. Though members of the Inner Council may step down, nobody has the power to depose them.

3. Republic:  Members ultimately have a say in Guild Management, but there is a level of separation between them and the Guild Leader.   Ultimately, the Guild is managed by an Inner Council to whom the Guild Leader is answerable.   Unlike an Oligarchy, however, members of the Inner Council are chosen (and can be removed) by the Membership.

4. Democracy:  Each member of the Guild has equal say in Guild Leadership.  The Guild Leader and Inner Council run the Guild, but are accountable to and can be removed by the membership.

So if we decide to have a "guild leader,' as it seems we will, It will be a position that functions in name only. I'm not sure if that's what you meant or not so I'm sorry if I misunderstood and this is only how I understand it, I could be completely wrong hehe.

I personally plan on spending almost every waking hour on SB when it is released so I don't foresee any problems with availability.  :D

-Araton

Well, I would say we need one person in ultimate command.  Remember in star wars when Han Solo tells Leia that "I don't have time to discuss this with the committe!"  Its similar here.  We need someone who can cut out the politics mumbo jumbo within our guild.  There is going to be enough politics stuff with the other guilds.  We don't need to be squabling amongst ourselves.  Maybe we could have the members of the Inner Council discuss what they want to do, and then the Emperor/GM has the final say.  The buck gotta stop somewhere  :(

What say you Greg?

Also, we may not want to refer to our leader as an emperor right from the start because if you remember, Emperor is the final leader title for the noble's house template and it may cause some confusion

...Emperor2 / Empress2 ...

...2 Denotes that only a Guild Leader who controls a Nation can obtain this rank

Thats just a cosmetic point though and its really nothing to worry about hehe  :(  Just thought I'd mention it.

-Araton

Sound information all around.  Once the core elements are completed we can do the fine tuning for everything.  I may undertake a "recruitment" flash specifically for SB, but it depends on time constraints and work on the overall site as a whole

Sorry I haven't been active on the forum much yet gentlemen, i've been away but now i'm back and ready to roll!

Do we have full head count on how many that we exactly have coming into our guild yet??  Besides us, who else is definately going to be playing.  I'm bringing Champion, Alterious, and Scale with me from DAoC.  I'm assuming Fing, Suin, Ser will be there with us.  I haven't heard from Coldren at all but I believe I will have Koop and WAR join us in SB too.  Who else do we have?

And pardon my rudeness Araton, nay do I believe we have met yet...tis a pleasure:)  Nay do I travel in the EQ realm, who do we have coming from that side?

I was thinking your quote at the bottom of your post should read:

Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who can spell, and those who make up their own words.

Putz Law

Just teasing... thanks Lan. I know you used to love running your fingers through her bristles um I mean hair.   :laugh:

Archived