Will you Play Shadowbane?

Coldren

Can't wait until it comes out.   I will most likely be moving from UO to Shadowbane.  Shadowbane is what UO was supposed to be.  

It MEANS UO sucks, is outdated, and is going to die soon.. Plus EA killed the massive potential UO had by commercializing it with the big corporate machine. Look at UO3D: Think this is the work of a company that is knows how to make a good MMORPG, let alone expand on a previously good one?

Quote from Coldren, posted on

It MEANS UO sucks, is outdated, and is going to die soon.. Plus EA killed the massive potential UO had by commercializing it with the big corporate machine. Look at UO3D: Think this is the work of a company that is knows how to make a good MMORPG, let alone expand on a previously good one?

UO doesn't suck.  Its just that its a bit oudated.  There are just a great many issues which need to be addressed right now.  First and foremost are issues with bugs.  Get a solid foundation down.  Second issues with the ability for characters to truely create a persona need to be addressed.  The only way to do this is to completely revamp Stats and redo the methods in which skills are handled.  It is fine to be 7x GM but what about secondary skills.  Why must magic resistance encompass all magic.  Why not have resistance based on fire, poison, cold and your more generic magics.

Players wish new content and the ability to mold characters into what they desire.  Given constraints due to the old engine this is difficult to accomplish.  Issues with character development and such were not such an issue when on-line gaming was brand new.  We were just happy to run around the bank in less than 3 hours without numerous disconnects.

With all that said let me also say that hell ya I'll be checking out Shadowbane.  It looks like its going to rock the world.

From what I've seen of Shadowbane, it seems overly PvP oriented.  I would enjoy PvP to some extent, but not to the extent SB seems to be headed in.  The REAL problem I have with SB however is the (from what I can gather) experience based system!  I 'effing HATE experience point systems.  More monster camping, sitting around blah blah blah.  That is what makes UO great - I don't have to kill dragons to become more accomplished at my skill set.

Maybe someone can correct me if I have the wrong understanding of SB's experience point system.

-LizShue

Quote from LizShue, posted on

I 'effing HATE experience point systems.  

Same.. thats the reason I hardly play EQ anymore. Takes way to much time just to gain levels.. it's not really playing.. you just sit there and wait for something to spawn while you meditate for mana. I am waiting for Tabula Rasa from http://www.destination-games.com

They will completely remake the way online games are played. No more walking for 4 hours to get from one side of the world to the other. Not much fun in walking...

In a review at gamespot they start talking about Tabula Rasa on page 8 http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/pc/g...tima/p8_01.html

Quote from Balandar, posted on

They will completely remake the way online games are played. No more walking for 4 hours to get from one side of the world to the other. Not much fun in walking...

I happen to like walking from one side of the world to the other. It adds exploration and discovery for the newbs. If you can just teleport from one side to the other, it kills the exploration factor. Which is why I dont play UO anymore. (Well, one of the reasons)

. I am waiting for Tabula Rasa

That game does not sound like it would be much fun.. if it doesn't have a midevil theme, I'm quite frankly not interested... If I recall, Garriott mentioned that it would not reward "devotional players" as much as UO did...meaning that no matter how much you play, a newbie still has a good chance of beating you.. Plus the idea of making a "Theme-Park" world map doesn't interest me.

I had hoped he'd just make a new UO type game with a new name, but it seems he's straying from his speciality.. Big mistake.. That's like having Carrot Top do an action movie: Just not his niche.

Quote from Coldren, posted on

That's like having Carrot Top do an action movie: Just not his niche.

It seems to me Carrot Top has yet to find his "niche", comedy sure as hell isn't working.  Maybe his niche is buried in a hole being eaten by fire ants

:smash:

-LizShue

Quote from LizShue, posted on

It seems to me Carrot Top has yet to find his "niche", comedy sure as hell isn't working..

I wholeheartidly agree.. I've seen his standup once, and he had 1 or two funny things, so I use comedy as is niche in the figurative. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Shadowbane looks very promising....i will play it as well...but what will we do about UO? Are we going to move PGoH from UO to shadowbane? i think it should be dicussed at the meeting...to see how many PGoH members will make the move...should we close our account in UO when shadowbane comes out?

Archived