Saltwater Aquarium Filters

Balandar

Does anyone know where I can get a NEW wet/dry filter with skimmer and pumps relatively cheaply? Under $200 would be great, or even less… kinda broke right now. I am looking at redoing my 40 gallon salt water tank. I currently have some under-the-rocks filter that is supposed to be cleaned every 6 months. But that is a PITA to do.

buy the water? never did that.... Just treated the tap water then added the salt... checked the levels ... added more salt... checked the levels.... added more water...*sigh* yeah.. changing some of the water weekly was a chore.

Havent had time nor money to invest in an aquarium for awhile now. When i was really into it, i learned to save and spend BIG on filtration. Saves time, effort, and most of all money. I cant recommend skimping on the filter. You'll want to hurt yourself later. Especially, if like me, you start importing the exotics and find them belly up later. Actually from what I recall used, but well maintained, external pump/filter are a good option. They have been conditioned which helps your whole system. I got my last from a small shop that was going to upgrade and made me a great deal. Good luck.

I am going to get a 75 gallon wet/dry system for $190 that has the pump, tubing, bio balls, overflow, sponges. A 75 gallon skimmer that will fit in the sump, comes with pump for $100. A couple of 50 to 75 watt heaters, also for the sump. This way only the overflow, power heads, and return line are actually in the tank.

I may get a couple of really powerful powerheads that a tube can fit on, drop them in the sump, and take the tubing up to the tank... this way not even those ugly black power heads would need to be in the tank. I already have a couple of power heads for flow, but I'll need to find something to prevent the fish or invertebrates from being sucked into one and spit out the other side if I do use them in the tank.