THE SCARIEST D&D MONSTERS!!

Syban

Those damn halflings. Hands down.

In fact, I actually (no joking) had a dream last night where about 20 attacked me and I had to put them down with whatever was at hand. I distinctly remember putting a pointed stick through the eye of a charging halfling and watching the nasty little thing fall to the floor of the garage (why we were in a garage, I have no idea) and twitch spasmodically.

Edited by Rhoach

They forgot the Gelatenous Cube

How can you forget that?!?!?!

Eh, considering we used to play D&D together, I don't recall you being afraid of the *grabs 4th Edition (8/79) Monster Manual handy from shelf :)* Gelatinous Cube :)

And for those of you who aren't following me already, here are some stats that will baffle you :)

Gelatinous Cube

FREQ: Uncommon

NO. APPEARING: 1

ARMOR CLASS: 8

MOVE: 6"

HIT DICE: 4

% IN LAIR: Nil

TREASURE TYPE: see below

NO. OF ATTACKS: 1

DAMAGE/ATTCK: 2-8

SPECIAL ATTACKS: Paralyzation,

surprise 1-3

SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below

MAGIC RESISTANCE: See below

INTELLIGENCE: Non-

ALIGNMENT: Neutral

SIZE: L (10' cube)

PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil

Attack/Defense Modes: Nil

(There are then 4 paragraphs that describe the Cube)

They forgot the Gelatenous Cube

How can you forget that?!?!?!

Back to the subject at hand, my top 10 scariest D&D monsters are (in no particular order)

Check the links, I founds some pretty good pics

1) Beholder Beholder

2) Demogorgon

3) Orcus (on whom the UO "Dark Father" is based, a run on the Dark Father is a bit like playing Module H4... you go down into the Abyss to kick Orcus' ass, just cause you are pissed at him... H4 has twists like ... you ACCIDENTALLY miss the turn to Orcus' plane of the Abyss and end up on Demorgorgon's plane, so, just because you are there, you have to KILL Demogorgon before going back to the crossroads where you made the wrong turn... there are 27 fully documented wrong planes (of the 666) that you can wander into and face instant insanity, any one of 10 Demon Lords, etc ... I don't know about you, but when I'm looking to kick the ass of a Demon Lord and I have to find my way to his palace on one of the 666 planes of the Abyss.... I find a ###### map first)

4) Type VI (Demon) Balor (The Balron, of whom there were 6 in the AD&D world)

5) The Tarrasque (Orcus' Doorman) (to put that pic in perspective, I think the Tarrasque was 20' tall)(The Tarrasque (from Throne of Bloodstone module #H4)

6) Pit Fiend

7) Tiamat Tiamat

8) Lich Lich

9) Mind Flayer Mind Flayer

10) Nightmare

And I guess one super-bonus.... the Aboleth Aboleth

Take all the fear the Mind Flayer inflicts and change the creature from humanoid to a giant super intelligent fish mind flayer which is an organized society, secretly plotting the fall of the human race)

Yeah, that's the one I've had the most nightmares about :)

-Valshea