Possible new cohort

Strider

As many of you know there is a sage cohort, but unfortunatley I just havent been able to make it successful because it is a very RP intense concept.

Not that I WANT to just toss it away, however, I dont see it working very well.

However, I have a new idea, one many of you may like.

The Fae Cohort.

As some of you know Strider is actually a Fae, a Changeling, similar to and inspired in part by the players in Bedlam.

I also know others of you play similar characters.

Striders particular story is that he is of high royal Fae descent. His family has ruled a Seelie court for ages (Seelie being the "good, or more appropriatley, "light" court, and unseelie the opposite)

I have been thinking we could perhaps create a court of Fae within the Empire itself.. they have come to the aid of the Empire because the Army of the Sands, represents a great threat to the ways of the Fae. Being a group who uses much necromancy and the undead, they are EXTREMELY Banal.

Banality being an evil force that harms the fae (a basic description) And all Fae work to fight Banality.

There is much more I can explain, and this is just the begining basic idea.

Any thoughts, etc.. let me know..

I am in no way saying we disolve the Sage Cohort, because I like the idea.. and possibly we could merge the two ideas into one, the Fae Cohort working to gather knowledge and ways to defeat the enemy, etc..

Those who know Fae would say this idea isnt too likely because they tend to do things that aid themselves.. well fighting a force full of as much Banality as the Army of the Sands, benefits all.

SO there is the basic idea etc.. Lend me your thoughts, hehe Thanks

Strider. Governor of Nicomedia, Ancient Elder Sage.

EDIT: P.S. Checkout http://bedlam.crimson.net for info on the Fae. Bedlam is one of the few places I know of that has made the Fae idea work in UO, I dont want to steal their ideas, but simpl build from them and possibly work with them in doing so, but for now just read the info on playing a Fae etc.. see what you all think.

Edited by Strider

I hate being the naysayer of the guild, but before we start working on new Cohorts, don't you think we should be focusing on the current Cohorts and getting them back into order? With the most recent events, all Cohorts are in some sort of disarray, with new Centurions coming in and old ones moving up or out.

Before we add more to our plate, we should be focusing on what's already there.

fae dont truly require their own cohort. A small notation added in their title (such as [uSy] for an unseelie satyr) would give all the information other fae would need. Mundanes see the fae as normal people since most mundanes are incapable of seeing a fae's true form. Children and others whose minds are very open and receptive to the dreaming often see them for what they are tho (hence a child's insistence that a huge blue person just walked by when to their parents it looked like just another villager)

now to start posting sections of "The Shining Host" to clarify for people a bit what fae are all about ;)

Long ago, faeries adopted mortal bodies and fused with mortal souls to avoid the fist of Banality. To this day, normal mortals still only see the mundane appearance of a changeling. Faeries and other enchanted beings, however, see a changeling for what he/she really is -- a troll is a bluish tower of muscle, a sluagh is pale and thin, and a sidhe possesses breathtaking beauty. Indeed, in many cases the mortal shell often faintly resembles the fae spirit within -- trolls' mortal seemings are usually tall and stocky, boggans' are short and plump, and eshu's are dark and handsome, although it is not uncommon to find a changeling whose mortal body hides a very different fae soul. Regardless of what the mortal shell resembles, however, the character's fae form is the character's "true" self, and he must act in accordance with both the chimerical and mundane world. For example, a troll must stoop when entering doorways that are too low for his faerie height, even if his mortal body fits through just fine. To do otherwise is to deny one's fae self, even if only for an instant, and is an invitation to Banality.

A changeling's mortal age and appearance is called his seeming. While some rare fae souls reflect a different age than their mortal bodies do, most fae selves eho the mortal frames that hide them. Kithain society divides the seemings into three groups: childlings, wilders, and grumps. Childlings are any fae up to the beginning of adolescence, and they are viewed as innocents and protected by their fellow Kithain. Wilders, the teens and young adults of changeling society, earn their name with their passions and lust for adventure. They form the dynamic majority of changeling society. Grumps, those rare changelings who hold onto their fae selves after the age of 25 or so, are revered for their wisdom and experience, and often advise their brasher young counterparts. As a changeling's mortal body ages, so too does his/her faerie self, progressing from childling to wilder to grump until dying to be reborn again.

While other fae will react with the character's fae self, mortals and other unenchanted folk will react based on the appearance of the mortal seeming. A childling may be a duke of the surrounding principality, but is unlikely to intimidate a mortal police officer, much less a vampire, without the assistance of some fae magic.

Banality has existed ever since humanity first turned its back on the Dreaming to embrace cynicism, caution and doubt. A combination of cold reason, bitter self-delusion, apathy, and pessimism, Banality acts as far more than just a kind of "anti-Glamour" -- it replaces and prevents Glamour from reasserting its hold over something. Indeed, it sometimes seems to drive particularly banal mortals to seek out places and people full of Glamour just to destroy them.

Banality is as easy to sense as Glamour -- excess mundanity produses a cold, heavy feeling in the stomach, followed by pins-and-needles feelings around the body and intense headaches. Changelings have trouble speaking and concentrating in areas of high Banality , and touching cold iron (the quintessence of Banality) produces violent stabbing pains, followed by a wash of lingering nausea. Unfortunately for mortals, Banality has turned on its creators in many ways, with the Mists that hide the effects of Glamour serving as the best example. Although the Mists cloud the minds of changelings who have forgotten their true selves, they also mask the power of Glamour, keeping those who would hunt the "insane" and "unholy" fae from being able to track their prey.

Those mortals who champion Banality often find themselves consumed by it, living dull, emotionless lives that they secretly long to escape from in any way they can. This painful truth is one of the strongest arguments the Kithain have against their enemy, and pointing out the self-destructive nature of Banality often leads its minions to reflect for a few painful moments on the joys and spontaneity that they have lost.

While the Kithain have no evidence of an actual animating intelligence behind Banality, this doesnt stop them from considering it the single greatest enemy the fae have ever encountered; those changelings who are temporarily lost to the Forgetting are immediately the subjects of rescue efforts by their fellows, and those who are Undone for a lifetime by the wirght of Banality are deeply mourned. Those who are Undone by cold iron are mourned with soul-searing intensity, for with each cold iron death, another fae spirit has been lost forever, and a little more of the Dreaming has died with them.

Though childlings and wilders may think otherwise, grumps know that the greatest battles against Banality are not fought with guns and swords, but against mindsets of complacency and disillusionment, on battlefields where no sword has ever prevailed. Against such strong and subtle foes, only the willingness to dare to dream, and the urge to inspire mortals to live lives of greatness and imagination can ever hope to win out in the end.

as for what seelie and unseelie are, it's more a difference in opinion than a good/evil thing.

Basically, seelie fae believe it's very important to uphold the traditions and follow the old ways. Unseelie fae push for change and see the old ways as not applying to the present age.

Blame yourself, youre the one who insists on playing one haha. Ok, Ive re-thought it, and I think maybe we could try Chris's idea of allowing people to add a little notation to their title instead, to say waht type of fae they are. A new cohort is indeed jumping the gun, because as was noted and is very true, we need to focus on the others.

However I think this idea of allowing them in and adding a notation to their title would hekp add a little twist and fun to things. So its up to the leadership, but I think it would be fun, and I am sure Chris would be more than willing to help me setup a website for these folks with information, and a place to put their character ifno and such so the fae in the Empire could know each other and interact, because as he said mundanes (those that arent in someway open and naturally magical) cant see that someone is a Fae.

So, if you like the idea, let me know your thoguhts,a dn checkout the website I posted above to get an idea of hiow some people play such characters, not hwo you MUST but atleast know the different types, and how the court system works. Since the Empire is generally very order, honor, based, etc.. a Seelie court may suit us best.

So, talk to me, let me know what you think etc.. this could be fun :cry: And would increase role play :D