The newest WoW Scam.

Holyssa

As if WoW account ninjas weren't bad enough? Now a new scam has popped up related to Blizzard's patent on the name "Cataclysm". Click the red text for info. As for the scam itself? Found it on Worldofraids:

http://www.worldofraids.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24260

There's a new scam doing the works and I thought I'd alert people about it - it's really official-looking and almost fooled me (thank god for the world's most ferocious anti-virus and noscript ^^)

Here is a screencap of the email I received

scammers.jpg

There are several things that really concerned me about this email:

1) The email address is almost entirely indistinguishable from that of blizzard's own. In fact, hotmail picked up on this saying "you are subscribed to this person's mailing list" or something.

2) The scammers have gone to the care of mocking up a fairly convincing logo for this "expansion". Only a gamer with a good knowledge of current blizz goings on would a) realise that cataclysm is a misty subject for blizz at the moment and b) that the art is reused from strathlome (I think...)

3) The wording in the email is near perfect. I haven't spent a long time reading it but it seems absolutely unforced and similar to Blizzard's expression.

How you can tell it's a fake:

1) Random people who are not related to Blizzard do not get Alpha invites :smurf: So don't think you're that lucky!

2) All of the links go to a site that is NOT BLIZZARD OR WOW RELATED. You can see this if you hover over the links. On going to the link, you are prompted to download a .rar file called "Cataclysm Updater". DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE WHATEVER YOU DO, AND CERTAINLY DO NOT, NEVER, EVER EVER EVER BY JOVE, EXECUTE IT OR UNPACK IT. It is certainly a malignant piece of software, either a virus or a keylogger or something equally nasty.

3) The "Alpha" email links are in fact old beta email links.

4) There is no information concerning cataclysm, especially the content which this email alludes to (hero classes, maelstrom continent, etc).

So PLEASE PLEASE everyone keep an eye out! If you get this email please DO NOT DO ANYTHING BUT DELETE IT. Alert Blizzard if you fear the safety of your account at all, they are lovely people and will be happy to help I'm sure (especially if you phone them up -great support there).

Hope this helped you out,

Postulio

Even if you got an Authenticator, keep your eyes peeled. That's one clever looking scam to the naked eye!

1) The email address is almost entirely indistinguishable from that of blizzard's own. In fact, hotmail picked up on this saying "you are subscribed to this person's mailing list" or something.

2) The scammers have gone to the care of mocking up a fairly convincing logo for this "expansion". Only a gamer with a good knowledge of current blizz goings on would a) realise that cataclysm is a misty subject for blizz at the moment and b) that the art is reused from strathlome (I think...)

3) The wording in the email is near perfect. I haven't spent a long time reading it but it seems absolutely unforced and similar to Blizzard's expression.

Faking email headers is an old practice for hoaxes/scammers, and Blizzard almost makes it easier by maintaining their "noreply"-style bit bucket address. For the truly curious, you can look at the SMTP routing information in the full header in most email programs/sites to be sure. On the hoaxes I've seen, the originating server is almost always foreign and definitely not Blizzard. And yep, most of that artwork was either recoloured BC logo mockup graphics or Stratholme-sourced.

1) Random people who are not related to Blizzard do not get Alpha invites :p So don't think you're that lucky!

QFT. Blizzard alpha tests have been exclusively "friends and family" for years now, and this practice won't change. Past alpha invitees are often included as well (even if their ties to Blizzard are dissolved), but it's no guarantee.

2) All of the links go to a site that is NOT BLIZZARD OR WOW RELATED. You can see this if you hover over the links. On going to the link, you are prompted to download a .rar file called "Cataclysm Updater". DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE WHATEVER YOU DO, AND CERTAINLY DO NOT, NEVER, EVER EVER EVER BY JOVE, EXECUTE IT OR UNPACK IT. It is certainly a malignant piece of software, either a virus or a keylogger or something equally nasty.

RAR? *laughs*

4) There is no information concerning cataclysm, especially the content which this email alludes to (hero classes, maelstrom continent, etc).

Given how recent the trademark application (NOT patent) was, the possibility of an alpha this early is laughable...especially with how much of their resources are still dedicated to Wrath content.

So PLEASE PLEASE everyone keep an eye out! If you get this email please DO NOT DO ANYTHING BUT DELETE IT. Alert Blizzard if you fear the safety of your account at all, they are lovely people and will be happy to help I'm sure (especially if you phone them up -great support there).

Again, QFT. Report it to Blizzard if you get one of these, but don't be fooled by it. My usual strategy when receiving anything via email that's game related and unprompted: assume it's a scam/hoax by default. I've participated in several beta tests for Blizzard (and other companies/games) and every single time, I always knew I would be receiving the invites before I got them. Use your heads and practice safe computing (no, that doesn't mean put condoms on your fingers).