Amplify/Dampen Magic and you...

During my morning trolling of forums, I came across this gem. I read it a couple times, and I realize it is SPOT on. This is great information, and we should consider implementing some of it as applicable.

Posted originally by: Phric, Aug 11 2006, 01:04 PM

Our mages have a couple of spells that have gone under-used for a long time now. Perhaps people have been scared to use them, believing the cost outweighs the benefits, save a few special encounters. Often times that's true. But there are plenty of good uses for them as well. I think we all see the additional healing benefits in the Instructor fight. I'd like for us to discuss the possible uses for this to help the raid as a whole.

The first spell is Amplify Magic: A mage talent called Magic Attunement increases these values to 112.5 damage and 225 healing.

The second spell is Dampen Magic: Magic Attunement increases the values to 135 damage and 270 healing.

A point to note about these spells are how they affect DoTs and HoTs:

With dampen magic, enemy DoTs are calculated per tic, whereas friendly HoTs are calculated for the entire length of the spell. For example, a DoT that typically hits you for 150 damage per tic is reduced to 90 per tic with a normal dampen magic, while a HoT cast on the same person will only have 180 of the total spell's heal reduced.

With Amplify, the results are the same. Any spell damage on a PC will be increased by 75 (not sure if this affects DoTs the same way) and for friendly heal spells, it increases their heals and hots by up to 150.

The healing effect is basically like adding 150 or removing 180 from each healer's healing gear that is healing the affected target. The mob damage is a flat increase/reduction of spell damage.

With that in mind, I'm going to list some opportunities to use these spells (copied from another forum) and ask for feedback for other possible scenarios. I would like to see all of our raiding mages to look for an opportunity to increase the use of these spells.

Zul'Gurub

Bloodlord Mandokir (Raptor)

Only physical damage and tanks need a lot of healing. Use Amplify Magic on the tanks.

Priestess Thekal (Tiger)

The only magical damage is Lor'khan's lightning shield (which gets purged by Shaman anyways). Amplify Magic can be used on the whole raid except melees/tanks on Lor'khan. Use it on tanks only if you want to save time/mana.

(Sabrianica Note: Since Lor'khan's Lightning Shield is being purged, the damage from the one hit that would hit that particular off-tank is out-weighed by the benefit of the extra healing. I would put it up on everyone in the raid.)

Priestess Arlokk (Panther)

Only physical damage. Tanks and the one that is marked need a lot of healing so Amplify Magic can be used on whole raid.

Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj

Trash

Hive'Zara Wasps does a dot that does 146 damage every 2 secs. This is reduced by Dampen Magic with the full 90/135 and turns into a 56/11 damage dot.

General Rajaxx

The lieutenant general Andropov has a healing aura that heals everyone in range (that is friendly with cc) with 200 each tick. With Amplify Magic it heals for 350 each tick (425 with magic attunement). There is only one of the captains in this encounter that deals any magical damage (A lightning aoe) but the positive effect of Amplify Magic on the full raid is bigger than the extra damage from that single spell.

Ossirian the Unscarred

Ossirian deals only physical damage so Amplify Magic can help on tanks.

Molten Core

Ragnaros

The sons aura only deals 1 damage with Dampen Magic. Dampen Magic also makes Ice Barrier, Fire Ward, Greater Fire Protection Potion survive longer giving more time without interrupts.

Blackwing Lair

Razorgore

Putting Amplify Magic on Razorgore while he is mind controlled will give a nice damage increase in phase 2. (might have been nerfed in recent patches)

Vaelastrasz the Corrupt

Dampen Magic will make shields hold a little longer to give less interrupts.

Firemaw

Ice Barrier and Fire Ward together with Dampen Magic makes you almost free from interrupts until you have so many debuffs that you need to step out of los anyway. Use on yourself only

Flamegor

Same as firemaw but not as important if the hunters do their job well.

Temple of Ahn'Qiraj

Bug trio

Lord Kri's dot does about 145 damage per tick. With Dampen Magic it does 55 and with magic attunement it does 10. If it stacks it does 290 damage and Dampen Magic will reduce 90/135 from that resulting in 200/155 per tick.

I have used this with great success on the whole raid (except tanks) to minimize the damage to the raid. Together with good cleansing (keeping down stack count) this can reduce a great part of the damage to the raid giving healers more time to focus on tanks.

Battleguard Sartura

Only physical damage, Amplify Magic on all. Be ready to reamplify resurrected tanks.

Fankriss

Amplify Magic everyone, he and his adds do only physical damage.

Naxxramas

Instructor Razuvious

Keep Amplify Magic up on the mind controlled adds. They take only physical damage from Razuvious so the extra healing is always nice.

Edited by Jeroabem/Sabrianica