An interesting experiment

Gorrin

Ok, so, I was fooling around with some add-ons recently, and came across one that I think would be interesting.

Lore.

What it is is a language mod. It let's you customize langauges that your character knows, the dialect they speak in, and any speech impairments they may have.

I was talking with Maube, and I offered to make a Skullcrusher dialect, from the language on your site, so I have. If you're interested in it, just download the Lore Addon, can find it at, Lore

Then I was going to try to post the .lua file that you'd need to put in the folder as well, but I can't find a way to do that. So, just send me a message or email if you want and I'll mail it to you..until I can find a better way to get it out.

-----------------------------

Directions to using Lore:

First off, you'll need to load up your dialect by typing /lore tablet *skullcrusher The asterisk is needed, because it's part of it's name, it shows that it's not a language but a dialect.

To see what kind of languages there are already, you can type /lore list

Using /lore you can get a bunch of different options, including options to turn off the dialect/language when using anything but /say.

You are also able to limit the language to only /say (can't be changed), /guild, /raid, /party, or any combination by using /lore to guild/party/raid

After that just type how you do in real life, and it will automatically convert for you. It doesn't work in whispers however, so you'll still need to type those out how you want them.

The main attraction for me however, is the use of handicaps, and impairments.

The impairments work on any text, while the handicaps only work on languages (not dialects). The difference between languages is that every word is changed, dialects keep most words but change a few of them. Ex: How are you doing today.... might look like this: How are latz doing today.... I don't remember all the ones that changed, but that's the gist of it. The language might look like this: Gurhal Huirt li julsti

Impairments:

Normal Speech impairments are: Lisping, hissing, growling, stuttering, and cutting off word endings (cuttin' off word endin's)

Handicaps:

These limit how you can understand/speak a given language.

Fluency - Affects hearing and speaking. If it's set to 75%, you'll understand approx 75% of whatever is written in that language, and poeple will understand approx 75% of what you say

Might look something like this: Hello, how ayoltd today?

Speech handicap - Negative values mean you speak the language worse than you understand it. People will have a hard time reading what you type, but you won't have a very hard time knowing what people are saying

Positive values are the opposite ;)

I'm still learning this add on, so some of this information may be a tad incorrect (i'm not sure about the handicaps and dialects/languages, I think I have the right of it though).

EDIT: One thing I did forget to mention is this. You can't cross racial lines with the mod. If you're an orc, you won't be able to understand Gutterspeak, even though you may be 100% fluent in it. You'll be able to understand the gutterspeak from others who have the add on, only. I tested this out with Demonic, made a warlock alt and got the imp, and it doesn't work >:L So, it's for RP purposes, and you can pretend you know what they say, etc. :)

Edited by Gorrin