The Website Situation

JamesMcPherson

For lack of better words, we're just not getting anywhere with this. By the way, THIS IS NO ONE'S FAULT.

I don't have the time to pick up on smarty-php. It's just over my head and I don't have the hours to devote to it.

I'd like us to ask Balandar if he could, if possible, kill our webspace and just make it blank so I can upload my own html and flash content from scratch.

I'd be willing to pay him a small fee to do this...

Anyway, what do you guys think? The news feature is really cool on the existing site, but I don't see Charlie and I ever really using it in what will likely stay a small, cohesive guild.

I do think the guild need a revamp. The colours are a bit...dull. We need things that will atract the wanderers to stay. or atleast say hello. Bright colours, our guild flag and a welcome on the front page and such

All you need is a template like the other websites on thehonorempire.net (a news/content section with the template wrapping that section). Also include style-sheets and example content. So make one page that has a listing of multiple news items, and another page that is "static", like the guild history. The rest I can do.

Small Cohesive Guild? Cohesive yes, hopefully. Small? I'm hoping to avoid the small guild situation, while maintaining the small guild style community.

I think we may be putting too much into not having a site/large numbers yet... the website is -not- a neccesity, but rather a nice tool for streamlined communication. For example, one of the most succesful PvP guilds on my WoW server has only a free forum, consisting of the most simple features.

As for numbers, I garuntee that interest in the guild will spike around large beta/ launch day. Trust me.

Template = screen shot of website, which can then be sliced and diced into pieces to fit the smarty code. A simple html design that is already presliced would work as well. I can add the smarty code to it easily enough.

It just needs one middle content section that can expand downwards with no maximum length. This means the borders of the website (left and right) need to be repeatable vertically.

And also a “design” of what you want the news section to look like, e.g. just links to the forum posts, or just a listing of news items on the main page. And another page that has a simple section, e.g. rules, history, etc.

No, no image. Just a layout design of how you would like the articles or news items to appear. Every website on here is a bit different. wow.thehonorempire.net, eq.thehonorempire.net, uo.thehonorempire.net, etc. But they all have that middle section that can expand downwards. They all have a news section (main page), and other "static" pages like history, rules, etc.

Bal.....whatever the site ends up being.....we must.....MUST have an enemy ship sailin round the site (like the gazer) that the team can blow up for some fun....ehhehe

Show em the gazer if you can on thier test page.....ehhehe

Okay, can anyone out there do what Balandar is asking? I honestly don't know how...

Balandar, I really appreciate you setting everything up for us, but I'm starting to lean towards a chunk of blank webspace somewhere else. Miller might disagree, but I don't see us getting this kind of site off the ground. I had actually wanted to setup a flash-based website, with html subsections. I don't see myself being able to do that now.

What do you think, Charlie?

Quality over speed. Jon, you seem to have at least an idea of where you want to go with the site, so pretty much it's in your hands for the time being... do what needs to be done to do it in as quality a way as possible (or hand it off to someone that understands where you're going).

Archived