Anathemas

Khamballa

4 Months Ago -

Four Months Ago –

“Would the defendant, Armin Mives, please stand up?”

Mr. Mives rose to his feet, pushing his chair back as he stood. He looked over the small, humid, and crowded room – a look of conviction hung on his visage. He surveyed the jury of his peers, none of them “surveyed” back… except one. She was the young one. Her gaze peered down into him, it was personal and he liked it.

”Has the Jury come to a verdict?”

”Yes we have your honor”

The clanging of the market place outside was amusing, a stark contrast of the casual versus the epic level of condemnation Mr. Mives was about to face. Who were THEY to decide the difference between what was right and wrong – does it not change from man to man?

“In the case of disturbing the deceased – we find the defended: guilty.”

“Disturbing the deceased…”, Mives giggled.

“In the case of dishonoring the Holy Order of the King and the Light that reins over him we find the defended: Guilty.”

Mr. Mives was not surprised.

“Mr. Mives, a jury of your peers has found you guilty on all charges. But there is a few things I would like to address before sentencing you…”

Mr. Mives was teeming with curiosity.

“This is probably the most nauseating trial I have ever witnessed. I have never been one to feel sympathy – but the witnesses we saw here today nearly made me stand up and rap you myself with this very gavel. The evidence: the bones with fragments of flesh between their joints, the knives and saws we’ve seen here today, they make me want to vomit to cleanse myself. You are a hideous… Beast, Armin… a true lecher and an embarrassment to the Alliance, the King, and to God. You are anathema!”

Mives’ lips parted a bit and a frighteningly proud, gentleman-like smile appeared on his face. The girl on the jury began to cry.

“I CONDEMN YOU TO DEATH BY HANGING!”