Dark Virtue: Positron TF mission!!

DashZero

So, 10 AM Pacific = 11 AM Mountain = 12 Noon Central = 1 PM Eastern. Please be prepared and at Positron on the hour! (He is in the middle of Steel Canyon.)

Tenative line up so far:

Shadow Invoker - Defender - lvl 14

Cyber Sushi - Scrapper - lvl 12

Icyfrost - Blaster - lvl 12

Like Totally - Healer - lvl 15

We could use a Tanker and a Controller and more damage dealers. Post if you are interested!!

The level 12 folks are going to have to try and level up to 13 or 14 before Sunday I think, but that is doable. If we do have a lvl 12, Like Totally could sidekick them. I will be around Friday and Saturday to team with and SK people if they want to train for this mission.

We'll try to level Dr. Watts (force field defender) and Wattsson (strength tanker) up for this (think they're 10 atm, but we haven't had much time to play this week - we've had company). We'd LOVE to try and tag along. We do have two small kids, so if you guys let us come Sunday it will likely involve some /follow and occasionally an afk to deal with the kids.

I am assuming we could SK them. I need to see if there is a FAQ on Task Force missions somewhere...looking now...

Ok found this on the official CoH board by Kamendae:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. What are task force missions about, and where do you find them?

What they're "about" varies by TF, but is generally an extended story arc - target mobs vary by TF and sometimes by mission.

2. Character lvl, and number of heros needed/reccomended

This is also per TF. For Pos's, *required* heroes are 3, levels 10-16, with mobs at 15. Synapse requires 4 heroes, levels 16-21, with mobs at 20. Etc, etc. Personally, I'd recommend using the minimum required number of heroes, at mob level or mob level -1.

3. Villian lvls, and any scaling issues to group/lvl size.

Villain levels are above. Scaling seems to work exactly the same as scaling does for your ordinary door mission.

4. Time needed to do a task force mission.

Pos took our group 4 1/2 hours to complete; Synapse took (a different) group 3 1/2 hours, but we had some experienced (with that TF) folks on the group, and that sped it up quite a bit. 3 1/2 hours seems to be on the low side of the bell curve.

5. andy other special rules/rewards info pertaining to TF missions.

Lots of XP, influence, and at least one <your level+3> SO.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I read in another thread that some 10th levels went in with 14's and 15's and were sidekicked, so that is possible. (I was concerned it might not be allowed.)

I am also reading that "less is more" on the Positron. If we get 8 people, we may want to split into 2 groups. Let's wait and see...

Sounds good!

If we stay up late tonight and Saturday we should be able to make it to about 14. Just don't be surprised if we aren't as social as normal since we will be focused on levelling for a change.

Dark Kestrel/Dr. Watts

I'll see if I can join in too...well, if it maxed out at 8 peeps already. I have several characters around level ten that can be sidekicked, I think, but if that doesn't work, Miss Abyss is level 16 on the nose...

Ok, my Empathy/Electric defender Shock Therapy is level 11...will try to get her to 12, but 11 is still high enough to do the TF. IF I get up early enough (I will be trying, been lazy lately), I will definitely have her at Posi at 11 MST.

That was tough. Here's the recap:

Icyfrost, Cyber Sushi, Shock Therapy, Like Totally and Dark Ivory made up TASK FORCE ION!!!

CoH_TaskForceIon.jpg

That was a Scrapper, 2 Blasters, and 2 Defenders. Not quite sure what could have changed the balance, but we played a slow, steady deliberate game. No real teamwork issues, no squabbling. (I have been on task force missions I wanted to quit in the middle due to a poor team.) But even though we had a good solid team, it took EIGHT hours to complete. That was painful.

Thanks again folks!! It was great. We all gained at least one level and it was fun to watch how much easier we could roll over the bad guys as everyone started levelling.

(DashZero puts on his philosophy hat.)

The only "Monday morning quarterback" type question I am pondering is why it took so long. I think 2 healers helped a lot, but the spawns generated for a 5 person team were big enough that we had to pull a few bad guys off every group before we could wade in. People have said that the task force missions are easiest using the minimum number allowed (3 for Positron). Hard to say really. Maybe a tank and a controller so that we had one of each archetype would have made it faster. Hehe. Well, some other weekend I may have to go back and enter the Task Force realm again, but I am burnt to a crisp at this point! :):D

Woot!! Gratz!! I like pie and potatoes!! Vaz are the opposite of pie! :)

(Edited adding picture - basically stealing Hothgorn's idea...) (Hothgorn, maybe they would give us some server space on this site to hold pictures?)

Clearly, the strain has gotten to Dash, but I'll have you know that Yoda really does like kittens......and the greatest thing in the world may be potato pie.

Painful? Yes, it was, but from what I've heard many groups die often, alot more than we did in such large missions. Don't forget, many of us were lvl 13, taking out large groups of lvl 15 Vahz, Clockwork, and CoT; bosses and all.

We only had perhaps 2 major meltdowns, but we recovered quite well without the need of a hospital.

I believe the most satisfying part of it was going against the same baddies later on as a stronger, well oiled machine. It was impressive to see. In fact, it was lovely to see the group slaughter bosses and their company in a few whacks; where previously someone would be dead and everyone else barely alive.

The dam map was a splendid change, the CoT ghosts were fun to play with. I had a splendid time. Though, I'm not sure if I'm up for another 8 hour marathon anytime soon.

I made 2 levels to boot!

-cheers

Hothgorn TheBlack (The Daring Cyber Sushi)

I'm not sure how/where I'm going to post the pics...(suggestions?)

Doh!! Good point Hothgorn. I think we started with two 12th level, two 13th level and a 15th. No wonder it was hard...

Oh yeah, one other thing. At the end of a TF you get an SO that is your current level +3. LT started the TF as a 15th level, and somewhere along the way she levelled and was fighting (healing) as a 16th level toon. BUT, she never trained up to 16th. At the end she received an 18th level SO. I believe that if she had trained she would have gotten a 19th level one. Drats!

Sounds like a blast. We never could have spent 8 hours at the computer, though, with noone else to help watch the kids. I'd love to give it a try sometime, just not sure if we'll ever get that kind of a block of time together for it. Glad you all had fun! :)

Dash I too got a lev 18 SO, I was only lev 14 though at the time. I stayed on a little longer to cover that last 400 exp for level 15 (The Legendary Dark Ivory). It was a total blast. Little long but worth it when it was over. I got some pics (I think, not sure where they are stored but I will see if I can find them) How do you get them up? Anyways next 2 weekends are out for me for anything (going to be in alaska total of 10 days starting this friday) but the weekend after that I would Like to do another one. I guess we will have to see what level everyone is at then. Anyways it was great fun, very good group. :)

Yea, the drop I got was level 18 too, and I was 14, so I think that's a set thing.

Hope the "Magic Headache Power" wasn't too much for Sushi and Ivory during the game. I was listening to music the entire time, so I never heard it. :)

I think the reason why it took so long is twofold. One was mentioned already--having two defenders. Though we kept y'all healed pretty well, we didn't end up doing much for damage output. The second was that we really lollygagged the first couple missions because I think everyone was thinking "Oh, this'll just take like 3 hours..." It was really only at the end where we pushed and pushed and pushed, completing 3 missions in just over an hour.

Was fun tho. :)

Sounds like a blast. We never could have spent 8 hours at the computer, though, with noone else to help watch the kids. I'd love to give it a try sometime, just not sure if we'll ever get that kind of a block of time together for it. Glad you all had fun! :)

Well, step right up, do we have a deal for you!! :D

Being a glutton for punishment, I actually did the Level 20 Task Force (with Best Gameplay) on Saturday and the Level 15 one (what this thread is about) on Sunday.

The Level 20 TF (given by Synapse in Steel Canyon) took only about 3 1/2 hours with a pick up team of: Tank, Blaster, Defender, Scrapper. It was a fun one!

Suggestions (aka lessons learned): You want to be 19th level or higher to start. Probably optimal with 4 or 5 people, representing as many different archetypes as possible.

Best is currently 21st level, and he could be convinced to go do the Synapse TF again. Lemme know soon, or he will go on a mission to find Level 22 in Dark Astoria... :)

Kestrel and Opsrey are still 17, I think, so maybe in a few levels they can try take on the lev 20 one with you all. Sounds like it'll be more do-able for us, with our limited time blocks type of schedule, with a little bit of planning. I look forward to it!

Archived