Reunification

Coldren

The waves crashed rhythmically against the shores of the nearby bluff. The flocks of birds chirped in harmony, basking in the majesty of the rising autumn sun. The leaves, now in a mixture of golden greens, browns, and reds, fell from the trees upon the earth to await their decay in silence. The deer cautiously partook in their fill of the green grass and flowers, glancing upward in stalwart alertness for any possible hostile creatures. Nearby, a mother wolf herded her cubs into a nearby burrow that would be their home for the harsh winter that lay ahead.

As that brilliant morning sun seeped through the treetops, a man sat tranquilly against a tree, nibbling upon a small loaf of bread and drinking water from a small goblet. It would probably be his only nourishment for the day, for it was all he secured for food within his sack. A substantial armament was a necessity for a wanderer when traveling the countryside in these troubled times, and the less he had to carry the easier one could survive a hostile encounter.

Having finished his meal, he proceeded to pack his goblet and the remainder of his loaf of bread and then refasten his armor. It would be perhaps another day’s venture by foot to reach his destination, and the sooner he departed, the sooner he’d arrive. He glanced up at the sun, sheathed his sword and began to walk in a southern direction, shield in hand.

A few hundred feet from where he began, a thunderous sound broke the perfect silence of the forest. He immediately recognized the sound as that of a sizeable mare baring a load on its back. Alert, he reached for the hilt of his sword: Vagabonds, thieves, and other scoundrels seem to be more commonplace these days, and he would not be taken off guard.

As the horse approached, he began to make out the details of its passenger. He had broad shoulders, a muscular build, a lean visage, and eyes that seemed endlessly deep. The horse stopped approximately 50 paces from him. The man upon the horse drew his sword, yet he did not take an aggressive posture. He simply stopped and stared.

”Coldren?” cried the mounted man.

”Koopsta!” responded the earthbound traveler.

Koopsta quickly dismounted, sheathed his sword, and embraced Coldren as a brother would his own.

“It has been a long time, old friend. I had taken thee for dead!” said Koopsta.

“Aye brother! It hath been some time! I hath not seen the likes of thee since our final campaign against the orcish brood.”

”Aye. Seems as an eternity ago.”

Coldren nodded.

“So tell me old friend, what news have thee of Madman or Vandorn? Are they well? After our last mission….”

”Aye.. you were in a very bad way, Coldren. Vandorn and I managed to meet in the village of Yew to the north, shortly followed by Madman. None of us had set eyes upon thee since the horde descended upon us… We thought thee slain for sure.”

“T’was nearly close to that!” replied Coldren. “However, as many an orc thought me dead where I lay (They not be too bright), they failed to take my head for they chased after thee and Madman most hurriedly. I lost sight of Vandorn within the fray, and assumed he was on the outer boundaries working inward. I lay in my own blood on the cold ground for what seemed days before a wandering healer happened to cross my path. The healer cared for me, and gave me food and drink throughout the coming months. By the Gods, I was most fortunate to survive the whole ordeal."

“Seems the Gods look kindly upon thee… I know not of another who hath escaped the icy grip of death as many times as thee!” jested Koopsta.

Coldren smiled. “But enough of my woes, tell me of the Empire? What of my brethren whom I have fought side by side with for so long?”

“Of only a few of such things do I know… I have set eyes upon Vandorn and Madman more than a few times since then, alas I am no longer in the service of the Empire… As you have not been for some time. The word about though is that the Empire is weakening, and the Byzantines make preparations to lay claim to the woods north of Trinsic as their own: The very land we used to guard. The gaul of the #######s of Rome….” Koopsta said with disgust.

Coldren’s head fell downward. “This is indeed most dire news. How many troops remain within the Empire? Surely Martok, Wolf, and Baltazar are still among the ranks?”

"Aye, that they are, yet they find supporting troops in small supply. The Empire has been silent for some time.”

“Then wilst thou venture with me to Olympus? Tis my desire to be granted audience with the Emperor or Pater Imperium to be restored to my rank.”

Koopsta frowned. “I shall go with thee. But I am a lesser soldier in the ranks of the Empire. Dost thou think Pater Imperium would look as kindly upon me as he would thou?”

Coldren smiled and placed his hand upon the shoulder of his old friend. “I have no doubt, brother. Should the situation be as grave as ye make it sound, the Empire could use every good soldier and craftsman it can to prepare for what may lie ahead. And for that, ye definitely are well suited.”

Koopsta smiled, and mounted his horse. Together, they set out for Olympus to rejoin the ranks of the Empire.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the reunited friends made their way down the forest trail with the sun to their backs, a brisk breeze passed through the trees, lifting the fallen leaves into the air and spun them in circles. They did not know if they would be assimilated into the ranks of the brothers and sisters they once held most dear. Their past behind them, a whrilwind of choices, actions, and consequences. All they had was each other, and what lay ahead of them in the future. But of this future, only one thing was certain: The winds of change were blowing strongly.

• 2 weeks later...

Twas a grand tellin' o that story Centurion!  Twas a grand last battle that we all parted our ways and thought we were all surely dead by the onslaught of the devilsh orcs.

Twas a site to this old praetorian to see m'brother MadMan come strolling through me doors about a month later!  As he was relating his fine adventuring tales of his new adventures, he hath told me of meeting up unexpectedly with Ye and the glorious Phalynx Lord Red which brought a tear to me eye!  Tis a wonderous thing to have us all back together and we shall be stronger than ever!  LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE AND LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR!!!

STRENGTH AND HONOR!!!