Travel West young devs.....

Borg

Posted on Stratics Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 3:31 PM EST by Joshua Rowan (GeneralNews)

More news on the Relocation front.

First, UO Stratics has received reports that something will be happening at 10:00AM Central Time, Wednesday, February 25, at the Origin Systems offices. There are no specifics to share yet on what exactly will happen at this time, but all indications point to something very important for all staff at Origin Systems. When Stratics knows more, we will make sure to let you all know.

In a related report in a Gamespot Article, the gaming website has posted their own report about the Relocation. After talking with AustinXL and several other sources, they report the following:

According to AustinXL, tomorrow Electronic Arts will shutter its internal studio Origin Systems, developers of Ultima Online. The Austin, Texas, business newsletter stated that "employees will be offered an opportunity to relocate to California or accept a severance package." Sources tell GameSpot the move would affect at least 100 Origin staffers.

AustinXL, a creation of Christopher Sherman (who is also the executive director of the Austin-based Game Initiative), cited sources within Origin. Sherman told GameSpot today that such a closure "would not spell the demise of the Austin game development community by any stretch." Previous layoffs at Origin "have spawned a bunch of spin-offs and start-ups," Sherman said.

An Electronic Arts' spokesperson neither confirmed nor denied the AustinXL story. "Thanks for bringing this to us," the spokesperson said. "EA is constantly evaluating best-practices and structures for our worldwide studio operations. At this time, we have no changes to announce."

The article was posted by Gamespot at 11:42 AM this morning, indicating that the sources AustinXL is using are also pointing to Wednesday as the day everything will officially go down. For complete details, make sure to check out Gamespot's Entire Article.

Borg Notes...

All my friends at OSI.......best ye hook up the Lamas and load up the chests on the wagon train.....get those boots a walkin. First ones at the new locale will get the better rooms with a view. Else ya gonna be trying to hide your red swingline stapler whilst the old EA guard walks past ye space. (jokey from movie Office Space)

hmmm Maybe I should have titled this post.........OSI MISERY Continues...instead of MYSTERY.....

Given this note........

Account Support will be limited on Wednesday, February 25, from 9:00am – 11:00am CST (15:00 – 17:00 UTC/GMT). This will affect our North American, European, and Australian regions. During this time, if you have questions concerning your Ultima Online game account, please visit eamembers.custhelp.com instead. Thank you very much for your patience.

One would then believe this morning's meeting is Human Resource led and is covering all the details of the severance package and move matters......

I have been in one of those meetings......if you ever heard the saying "you could hear a pin drop"...well that is not even close to how subdued the room will be......its more like being explained HOW you will be entrailed in public while having your eyes closed shut with ducktape and your mouth sewn shut with thread that is soaked in RED HOT LOUISIANNA PEPPER SAUCE ©.........and there is nothing you can do about it. Decisions are already finalized.......this is your last supper.

"Enjoy and thanks for coming to the meeting.

Have a great day on the phone and with customer support.

Go Team!!!" ; the HR person says with zeal.

When I had that meeting in January at my location.......I found a few cells in my brain ask...."Where is my claxon!!!"

Keep the chin up OSI........your wake still moves the online universe......never forget that!!!

Project California........Conquest Campaign at hand........at least get a good room NOT near the Bathrooms!!!