Event planning

Bag-Ball

All of us, I am sure, have seen the unusually shaped containers referred to as Bag-Balls. While many of us have seen these and understand the basic concepts of the sport I am not sure how many have attempted to play. I for one was quite skeptical until I actually had an opportunity to participate in a minor match.

It is actually quite enjoyable.

With the permission of our wise leadership and council I would like to initiate an event were the Empire’s membership as a whole can participate and experience ,first hand, the game of Bag-Ball. Arcane Centurion Kal’ Lason, our resident expert on the sport, has agreed to show members the basic concepts of the game. Perhaps, if it is found to be an enjoyable exercise, such an event can continue on a regular basis within our order, with opportunities for expansion to the world beyond.

One of the most noteworthy aspects of Bag-Ball is that it is one of the few group events that can be organized that is not dependant on your combat ability. Anyone from a tradesman, master swordsman, to a arcane magi, can participate with equal effectiveness. But, It does require a quick spirit, a keen mind for strategy, and an emphasis on teamwork to be successful.

Again, with the permission of our leadership, I would like to reserve the time immediately following our guild-meeting on the 7th of March for a look at this sport and its merits as a event, and ultimately how enjoyable it is to the guild as a whole.

Edited by Maven uth Mateur

Bag-Ball: The basic concept and general guidelines for play.

The concept of Bag-Ball has been known to the individuals of Sosaria for some time. Strangely enough its true roots date not back to an attempt at a sport..but of necessity. The moving of large quantities of material (i.e weight) quickly was often practiced by tradesman. Perhaps to a bank for storage, perhaps to a forge for processing. Opposition to this movement is in itself not a new concept, as an opportunistic soul would try to seize on this opportunity.

The game is played on a field approximately 23 paces long, 15 paces wide. It has a half-way line marked as well as two goal posts approximately 3 paces located at each end of the field. The game is played by two teams, each team comprising of three to four players. The 'ball' is a bag containing a large number of logs or other suitable material, so that it is impossible to carry, but it is possible to drag and throw the bag short distances. The game starts with both teams on opposite sides of the field, near their own goal. The ball is placed at the center of the half-way line, and both teams are then given the signal, after which play begins and both teams lunge toward the center line, hoping to keep the bag on the opposition's side of the field as much as possible. Goals are scored by throwing the bag over the oppositions goal-line, having first thrown it on the line itself. This gives the opportunity for players to clear the bag before it is thrown over for a goal.