Naysayers and Doom prophets wacked again...

Borg

On the UO Latest Updates forum, Sannio (Community Relations) nixed another rumor about UO’s demise.

Question: My hubby started playing UO over 4 years ago, and ended up getting the family all hooked. About 6 months ago, he (and only he) quit UO and moved over to SWG.

He just asked me how much longer the UO servers would be up and when I asked him what he was talking about, he said he'd heard OSI was coming out with a different version of UO that wasn't compatible with what we now play. When I said I had no idea, he went on to say well probably 90 days, like the statement on the back of the box says. The statement hhe was referring to is this: " EA reserves the right to terminate the Ultima Online service after 90 days notice."

So my question is this: Should we brace ourselves for an announcement of this type, or start saving $ to go to this new "version" he referred to?

He wouldn't say where he got this tidbit of info, (for all I know he made it up) but he's commented several times about former OSI programmers moving to SWG.

Answer: Ultima Online isn't going anywhere. Your husband probably heard about Origin's new upcoming game, Ultima X: Odyssey. We're still making plans here for next week, next month, next year, and beyond.

Regarding OSI programmers mowing to SWG, well, the MMOG biz is still pretty small. People sometimes move back and forth between projects. Still, I can trump that "OSI programmers moving to SWG" statement: SunSword worked on UO in the early days, went to work on SWG, then happily came back here to become our Producer. ;}

=========

Keith "Sannio" Quinn

Community Relations

Ultima Online (www.uo.com)

Origin Systems