OSI / Stratics

Winter Wind

Ok, this is just a little rant. If it should not be here, I apologize and feel free to delete it. No hard feelings.

OSI closed down their forums. I enjoyed them and was able to reach the OSI staff (at times) that way.

Now they have shut down the forums and told everybody to use the Stratics forums.

Ok, Stratics is a great site with good information. But their forum pages are as laggy as the first two days of the AoS release. Not a fun option to me.

Now it goes to the next evolution. Stratics is introducing "Stratics Plus". This is a pay service to Stratics that will allow you to access additional material and fourms. The current content is to remain free. But wait! There is more.

Allow me to quote Joshua Rowan / UO Stratics Project Manager:

By becoming a member of Stratics, you'll also have the future option of cooperating directly with developers as a valuable focus group of experienced online gamers. We're working diligently to bring you closer to those who design and build the worlds we play in, so that the Stratics group

of members will be able to directly influence and shape those worlds.

Now to me this reads as if the only way to reach the UO dev team is to pay Stratics for the opportunity to do so. Only people that pay Stratics will be able to work with the dev team and influence the direction of Ultima Online.

So basically:

OSI kicks us out and says we have to go Stratics to communicate with the dev team. Ignoring the problems with connecting to Stratics, some people have attempted said communicaton and have not been very happy due to slow server response and rude posters. Now it is being announced that to communicate and interact with the OSI dev team we have to subscribe to Stratics Plus.

This is rediculous. We pay our $10 a month to play the game and hopefully get some customer support on it. Now we have to look elsewhere for the company reps. Soon we will have to pay yet another company to be able to reach the reps of the first company we are already paying money to.

:p

Even Dilbert's pointy hair boss couldn't develop something this assinine.

It's only a matter of time before we have to log in to EQ to reach a UO gamemaster.

I'll gladly pay for Stratics PLUS. I'm hoping it will be around $20 a year, similar to IGN subscription. Maybe if they get money from us they can speed up their site!

-LizShue

New Developments. Bella Noir of Stratics has posted on a couple of UO discussion sites that the pay service will allow access to all of the same information you are currently recieving for free. The differences are "No advertisement banners, no popup windows, no dhtml/java script ads, and the ability to customize the appearance of the front end page in your browser window. The OSI support staff will be reachable by both paying and non-paying visitors."

The content will be the same on both sides of the coin. Now that's better.

I still find it odd that OSI tells us our discussion boards are going away and that they will only respond on Stratics. THen 2 dyas later Stratics announces fees without supplying a description of what the fee covers. When a description comes out, it's still confusing.

Oh well, matter resolved. Can't say I am happy about the whole affair, but at least we know OSI can still be reached.

If that is the case to whoever said we should pay, the nthis is false asdvertising. The gane is 30 bucks, the monthly service is 10 bucks, accordingto Origin, that fee includes customer support, now we're supposed to PAY more now?!! Thats outrageous, we shouldnt have to pay for the fact that this game is a hit. If they thought it would fail they wouldnt have put it out. If they need more money then it should come out of the purchase price. They could have easily charged 50 bucks and sold just as many. *drops two cents on the floor*

Well, it seems this so called "customer support" now means the customers have to do the supporting! And yes, it is starting to all seem very "Dilbert's boss" like. About the whole false advertising thing i'm not sure but I'll look it up :) Not that i'd ever do anything if it did cover it, heh.

All I know is stratics is the biggest lag fest ever. Ill not pay extra money to access a site for information that should originate and be contained within the OSI/EA owned and operated website.

It truely is a wonder the people calling the shots still are employed over there in Texas. Some of the management decisions are just piss poor.

It truely is a wonder the people calling the shots still are employed over there in Texas. Some of the management decisions are just piss poor.

Amen brother. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Silverone, a mod of the now extinct MyUO forums, from the UO boards is now posting at www.ianstorm.com/Ultima/

He made a comment in one post that he still doesn't know why he was "laid off".